BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

It was a mistake to make Apollo the commander of Pegasus. They already put way too much focus on him at the expense of perfectly great supporting characters that need just as much attention, namely Tigh. Putting Tigh as commander would have given the show a bit more room to expand on, and frankly, I think Michael Hogan is the better actor between the two. You can't have a strong ensemble show if its "The Apollo and Starbuck Show".

Don't forget guys, that a few weeks ago Pegasus went to guns against Lee Adama and the Galactica. Let's not forget that tender moment where 4 of Pegasus' crew beat the tar out of Tirol and Helo. Finally, a Marine from Pegasus actually arrested Lee Adama in the middle of combat in the last episode. My point is that Pegasus is a pirate ship full of people used to a different form of diplomacy (rapes, beatings, stealing FTL drives and stranding people, executing helpless civilians, etc), and a wet-behind the ears son-of-the-Admiral, who just happens to come from a ship they hate, will never be able to gain their support; no one should ever be able to replace Cain and Fisk, although in the end how Adama works out to be Pegasus' commander is entirely up to the writers.

The smarter move would have been to promote yet someone else from within Pegasus. Besides, I find it hard to believe that Lee Adama is next in the line of succession after the Old Man and Tigh. If that's the extent of their senior staff, then they're really in trouble...

Now, for another picture of mah boy Lee Adama!

jamiebamberbestresi0qg.th.jpg

Edited by myk

Well which ever way you look at it theres still a lot of bad feeling between the crews, add that to the whole religious/Roslin/Baltar power struggle its gonna start getting interesting.

Let the fur fly..

It was nice to see other parts of the ships even if it was just a snipett, and the inverted decks on the Beast got some air time, cool.

Putting Tigh as commander would have given the show a bit more room to expand on,

Except that Tigh is useless as anything except Adama's XO and everybody knows it, including Tigh.

-And remember, Tigh stated when Adama was down that HE never wanted a command.

Edited by Skullsixx

Putting Tigh as commander would have given the show a bit more room to expand on,

371574[/snapback]

Except that Tigh is useless as anything except Adama's XO and everybody knows it, including Tigh.

371592[/snapback]

Exactly my point. Hey, if you got to have a screw up in command, why not put the screw up that doesn't get ALL the limelight all the time? It'd be a waste of story to have the guy actually succeed in the command chair, so why not have him supply us with a few alcohol-induced Ellen-manipulated great mistakes that we all love to watch... its like a trainwreck, you just have to watch. :)

Besides, Adama has kicked him in the ass before when Tigh became reluctant at taking charge. I remember he said, "You're either the XO or you're not." I'm sure he can do it again.

I can see how that would be fun, but ultimately I wouldn't want to see that. I....feel sorry for Tigh. He's a drunken bastard of a loser, a has been, and the Pegasus crew would have him for lunch, assuming of course that Tigh didn't direct the ship into an asteroid or something first...

Yes Tigh is a drunk, but there's a reason that Admiral Adama keeps him around. When the pressure is on, Tigh is a damn good XO! However, that's all he'll ever be. His downfall other than being a drunk is that he is not in touch with the average man. Much like a bad politician, he cannot relate to the average person. But in the military all you do is take and give commands, and Tigh does that well. As questioned in the film "A Bronx Tale" would you rather be feared or loved? Adama has the respect and love of his entire crew because not only can he give commands, but he knows how to listen to his crew.

Adama definitely did the right thing for the good of the fleet by promoting his only son as Commander of the Pegasus. After all that's happened lately on board the "Beast" and it's dead prior Commanders, he provided them with an individual that knows what the hell he's doing, and most importantly someone that he and President Laura Roslyn can trust. Especially with the popularity of Gaius Baltar on the rise amidst an election year.

...he provided them with an individual that knows what the hell he's doing, and most importantly someone that he and President Laura Roslyn can trust.

371692[/snapback]

Yeah, it's not like Apollo hasn't betrayed his father's trust before.... OH WAIT, he has. Dont be so sure that any character in this series isn't above betraying trust to serve their own convictions or desires. That much is certain out of what we've seen from most of the characters.

So I was watching "Tigh me up, Tigh me down" and was cracking up at the part where Adama says, "Besides, I need her near me (referring to Ellen Tigh)", only to have Tigh and his wife walk in at that moment. Ellen says, "SEE!! He's been after me all these years!!!" while Apollo, Baltar, and Roslin all roll their eyes. :lol:

There hasn't been a light hearted moment like that in a loooooooong time in the 2nd season. Stuff like Cally and the other flight techs making a still and getting caught by the Chief... I think its nice to have moments like that mixed up in all the relative darkness of the series.

Yes, Lee has betrayed his fathers trust, but I also remember Dualla telling Adama to "put the family back together" and Adama personally going after Roslyn and Lee only to reunite in each other arms.

I agree with you on each character having flaws, and that's what makes this series so damn good!

So I was watching "Tigh me up, Tigh me down" and was cracking up at the part where Adama says, "Besides, I need her near me (referring to Ellen Tigh)", only to have Tigh and his wife walk in at that moment.  Ellen says, "SEE!! He's been after me all these years!!!" while Apollo, Baltar, and Roslin all roll their eyes. :lol:

There hasn't been a light hearted moment like that in a loooooooong time in the 2nd season.  Stuff like Cally and the other flight techs making a still and getting caught by the Chief... I think its nice to have moments like that mixed up in all the relative darkness of the series.

371711[/snapback]

Yeah I agree, but I don't like it when a show uses too much comedy though, most scifi seems to do this too! Lee asking Kara if she had a brain was pretty funny :D

Or Ellen Tigh saying something like "Lee Adama you are full of suprises" when he gets her to go to the bathroom with him to protect her...that was pretty good too.

Cally was "briefly" in the last episode. The knuckle-draggers have been put on the back burner for a while it would seem. Although they did feature prominantly in the 1st season and first half of the second season....when a MAIN character...Lee...was relatively unexplored. That's why I don't mind the more Apollo driven episodes. He's probably my favorite character, always has been. I understood where he was comming from early on, may not have agreed with him on all issues, but I understood him and respected the fact the he stood up for his principles. I am glad, though, they are making him more heroic...so to speak...now.

Chris

Great episode! Combat scenes kicked arse! Its amazing how much punishment a battlestar can take! Three nukes and it still was standing!

Score one for Baltar! About time he grew a pair. Ya gotta wonder though, when he finally does get caught, how is he gonna get away alive, lol

I am also glad Apollo got command of the Pegasus...that goes a long way in proving the ship is going to last at least until next season!

Looking forward to seeing the whole ressurection next week, seems like being a Cylon is not all that good.

Guest Bromgrev
Its amazing how much punishment a battlestar can take! Three nukes and it still was standing!

371903[/snapback]

Nukes aren't nearly as scary in space - no shock wave. Still, pretty impressive for a museum piece. B))

Its amazing how much punishment a battlestar can take! Three nukes and it still was standing!

371903[/snapback]

Nukes aren't nearly as scary in space - no shock wave.

371927[/snapback]

Not to go OT, but out of curiousity, really? I never really thought about that, but what about when a star goes nova, isn't there some sort of shock wave that drives all the star's outer layers out into space? Essentially, its the same thing I would think. Possibly detonating a nuke in a nebula would be much worse, like if the Cylons fired a few nukes while Galactica was in the nebula while camped at Ragnar station.

Not to go OT, but out of curiousity, really?  I never really thought about that, but what about when a star goes nova, isn't there some sort of shock wave that drives all the star's outer layers out into space? 

The difference is, the shockwave has the stellar material to propigate through. A nuke going off in space will still create the high temperatures and radiation that you get on the ground, but without any matter to allow the shockwave to travel in, that's limited.

It'd be another story if the nuke went off while physically touching a ship's hull, but that wave would still be much less than when in an atmosphere.

371903[/snapback]

Nukes aren't nearly as scary in space - no shock wave. Still, pretty impressive for a museum piece. B))

371927[/snapback]

Uh, the Pegasus is a state of the art battlestar. The Galactica, while being older, may not have been able to survive 3 hits, but then again, Adama is a lot more battle saavy than the last commander of the Pegasus was.

Lol...I had missed the first half hour of last week's episode, so I didn't know about Dualla and Adama, or the brief Cally sighting. Time to get the DVR thing going...

Modern tanks use some kind of reactive armor. I don't know if the same principle would apply for BattleStars.

372188[/snapback]

My brother used to work for the Goverment deisgning reactive armor. I know that one of the systems he helped design was for aircraft to help them survive missile hits. and by placing the non esential things in areas where missles might damage helps absorbe the blast while keeping the aircraft and crew alive.

Also not directly related but....

He also worked on a system of ammo storage where the ammo is stored in containment systems that are designed to self sacrifice when they are hit by weapons fire. They blow out ward and save the Aircraft from being destroyed by it own ordinances.

As far as I know this stuff is now used by NATO. He also has pictures of him firing a matchstick through a peice of Chobham Tank armor. Its amazing what you can do a hypersonic speeds.

Uh, the Pegasus is a state of the art battlestar. The Galactica, while being older, may not have been able to survive 3 hits, but then again, Adama is a lot more battle saavy than the last commander of the Pegasus was.

372067[/snapback]

IIRC, Pegasus was suppose to be overhauled at the time of the Cylon attack. She's not state-of-the-art, but she's definitely newer than Galactica.

372067[/snapback]

IIRC, Pegasus was suppose to be overhauled at the time of the Cylon attack. She's not state-of-the-art, but she's definitely newer than Galactica.

372459[/snapback]

At the time of the Cylon attack, Battlestar Pegasus was having it's computer systems overhauled and had all electronic systems and networks deactivated; hence why they survived the initial virus "bomb" that crippled everyone else at the 12 Colonies. From everything I've seen thus far I'm led to conclude that Pegasus was a contemporary ship-of-the-line... just having a tune-up at a most propitious moment.

Lol...I had missed the first half hour of last week's episode, so I didn't know about Dualla and Adama, or the brief Cally sighting.  Time to get the DVR thing going...

372207[/snapback]

I can't tell you how much I love my DVR. It rocks.

Lol...I had missed the first half hour of last week's episode, so I didn't know about Dualla and Adama, or the brief Cally sighting.  Time to get the DVR thing going...

372207[/snapback]

I can't tell you how much I love my DVR. It rocks.

372480[/snapback]

Yeah, VCR's just don't cut it anymore. At least, with the way my system is set up a DVR would be the only way to go, I just don't feel like paying the local cable guys any more damn money.

As for Dualla and Lee-wierd, just wierd...

Yeah, after what they did...they're sorta screwed. What was on my mind even more was the baby....Roslin is ok with her being raised by a kid in the fleet after saying they don't know what to expect from it? Interesting indeed.

The role reversal with Six/Baltar really took me by surprise.

I was really hoping that Six and Eight would start licking each other, but oh well.

As for the baby, the writers have left this as an obvious major plot point down the road. After all, the Administration fears this thing, yet they give it to some starry-eyed civilian to raise. Just what do they think is going to happen with this child when it starts to develop advanced motor and mental skills, Cylon style?

Finally, this episode did not include Lee Adama in any way, shape or form, therefor this episode gets a big fat "F"...