BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

WHat do you think about Adama's choice to exhaust the fleet resources on finding Starbuck vs. his decision to blow up the Olympic Carrier.  I had this feeling that if Starbuck or Appollo was on that ship, he would have found another way to resolve that issue.

Yes I think so too. And I can say from past experience that it's easier to give a hard order or do something harsh for the greater good requiring sacrifice to most people when it's not your own loved ones. It's human nature.

Edited by Gaijin

The real world military will go to great extentss for a downed pilot but they basically have unlimited resources so I'm not sure what they would do in the Galactica's situation.

The thing that bugged me was Col. Tigh complaining to the President after he was relieved. To an ex-GI I see that as a blatant disregard for the chain of command which is an absolute no-no.

Don't forget Starbuck is one of the few pilots AND she is a flight instructor, considering they were already low on pilots (while they might lose some searching), the loss of a flight instructor would have devestating long term effects.

That's a good point...

damn... I was gonna say how consistant that is with another of Adama's decision, but I don't think that part aired in the US yet... I'm kinda confused of the timeline because I've been rewatching certain episodes out of order.

Don't forget Starbuck is one of the few pilots AND she is a flight instructor, considering they were already low on pilots (while they might lose some searching), the loss of a flight instructor would have devestating long term effects.

That's a good point...

damn... I was gonna say how consistant that is with another of Adama's decision, but I don't think that part aired in the US yet... I'm kinda confused of the timeline because I've been rewatching certain episodes out of order.

But what good are pilots with no Vipers or fuel? It's a tough choice to make.

That's a good point...

But what good are pilots with no Vipers or fuel? It's a tough choice to make.

It is. The fact that they lose so many pilots should also speak for how many vipers they would have left.

Just to be clear, I love the show. But I want to knit pick one thing from the last epsiode. When Starbuck plugged the fist sized bullet hole in the Marauder, surely exiting atmosphere/entering the vacuum of space wouldv'e sucked out whatever she shoved in their? :huh:

Also, did I miss what she used to paint her name on the Marauder? :unsure:

Just to be clear, I love the show. But I want to knit pick one thing from the last epsiode. When Starbuck plugged the fist sized bullet hole in the Marauder, surely exiting atmosphere/entering the vacuum of space wouldv'e sucked out whatever she shoved in their?  :huh:

Also, did I miss what she used to paint her name on the Marauder? :unsure:

She used the same yellow tape on the Raider that she used on her busted knee, presumably done before she went inside. As for the suit thing...not an astronaut so can't say but assuming that the suit was large enough, I can suspend it not being completely sucked through.

Edited by Gaijin

I was wondering, how many MkVII vipers are left. In the mini it looked like they had several, and we only "see" Mk II's being destroyed in subsequent battles, but after this past episode when Tyrol was talking to Lee about all the Vipers being down, he made it sound like Lee's was the only Mk VII. Could just be missinterpreting what he said. Any thoughts?

Chris

I think that we are led to believe that his is the only one, if you remember from the Mini, all of the Mk7's were destroyed by the cylon control Voodoo ray, but since Apollo was flying his fathers restored Mk2, his was still in the ship. Also, like in Macross, I think it is different so that you can see who is who, Apollo is the main type character, so his ship is different from all the rest so he stands out.

Maybe this sounds naive, but does anyone else see the parallels between Galactica and Macross? Lone Ship/Fleet against an unexhaustable enemy, basically they are/become the only humans left alive, They are fighting for their lives on a daily basis. I dont know, maybe I am reaching, but that is what I think.

Twich

Galactica's Mk VII's were destroyed but you can clearly see Mk VII's patrolling the fleet as it was being assembled before they joined Galactica at Ragnar. You can also see several Mk VII's in the final battle of the mini, attacking with the Mk II's as the Vipers attacked the Cylon force and make Comat landings in both the mini and in "33".

Chris

I know it's not important but was just curious what you guys thought.

If any of you are interested in what Yahoo Japan is offering for the classic Battlestar Galactica fan, go here: http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/sear...cale=0jp&acc=jp. There is a really wonderful looking resin kit of the Colonial Viper there that I am thinking of getting.

This kit actually looks pretty accurate as models go. If you look at the back of the Viper's engines, you'll notice that those are the ones used on the studio models used for filming. Monogram's old kit had engines based off of the full scale mock-up of the fighter.

monsteregg-img600x523-1098657074vipact.jpg

monsteregg-img600x436-1099497051dscf0003-3.jpg

Edited by Noriko Takaya

I have a good question, if humans in the 12 colonies already posses faster than ligth drives why did they limit themselves to just that star system. why not have other colonies or outposts.

Also I noticed that the fleet is exploring as it goes along and that there are no exsisting navigational charts.

as I understand in the original series the settled planets that they would find evry week where planet in which people from the 13th tribe settled along the way to earth.

Could it be that Humas of the 12 colonies felt that since there were 12 habitable planets with humans on them that was enough and simply did not explore, or set up outposts or bases on nearby star systems?

Gus

I have a good question, if humans in the 12 colonies already posses faster than ligth drives why did they limit themselves to just that star system. why not have other colonies or outposts.

Also I noticed that the fleet is exploring as it goes along and that there are no exsisting navigational charts.

as I understand in the original series the settled planets that they would find evry week where planet in which people from the 13th tribe settled along the way to earth.

Could it be that Humas of the 12 colonies felt that since there were 12 habitable planets with humans on them that was enough and simply did not explore, or set up outposts or bases on nearby star systems?

Gus

Possibly. Plus, I'm sure the Cylon War put a damper on them venturing much.

Some Great News!!!!

From the SciFi Wire:

SCI FI Renews Galactica

SCI FI Channel has ordered a second season of its hit series Battlestar Galactica, which has aired five episodes its first season of 13 episodes. Details of the renewal—including which cast members will return, how many episodes will be produced and when the second season will commence—were still being worked out at press time.

Battlestar Galactica has been a ratings winner for SCI FI since its Jan. 14 premiere. The latest episode, Feb. 4's "You Can't Go Home Again," scored the show's best ratings yet, with 3.2 million viewers.

For the show's second season, creator and executive producer Ronald D. Moore previously told SCI FI Wire that he has already been working on as many as six new scripts to resolve the multiple cliffhangers that will end season one. Moore added that he wants to delve deeper into the show's religious themes and open up the Cylon world a bit more in the coming season. Moore continues to post his thoughts on a personal blog on SCIFI.COM. Battlestar Galactica airs Fridays at 10 p.m. ET/PT, part of the channel's SCI FI Fridays lineup.

We get another season!! Woohoo!!!

Is it even possible to have 12 habitable planets in one system?

Opus, it might be possible to have twelves habitable planets in a solar system depending on how their orbits interact, but it is unlikely. Anyway, I believe they refer to it as a star system, which is different then a solar system. A star system is typically defined as all stars within a set distance, about five or ten light years IIRC. So, depending on where in the galaxy they are having twleve habitable planets inside of a ten light years sphere of space is entirely possible depending on how close the different star systems are.

Is it even possible to have 12 habitable planets in one system?

Opus, it might be possible to have twelves habitable planets in a solar system depending on how their orbits interact, but it is unlikely. Anyway, I believe they refer to it as a star system, which is different then a solar system. A star system is typically defined as all stars within a set distance, about five or ten light years IIRC. So, depending on where in the galaxy they are having twleve habitable planets inside of a ten light years sphere of space is entirely possible depending on how close the different star systems are.

That makes sense.

You know, theyve been following alot of the original series storywise with the convicts and Starbuck and the Cylon Raider so the Pegasus is not an impossible dream. I think theyll wait until were bored with the current characters so the can bring in some freash meat AKA Sheeba. ;)

Some Great News!!!!

From the SciFi Wire:

SCI FI Renews Galactica

SCI FI Channel has ordered a second season of its hit series Battlestar Galactica, which has aired five episodes its first season of 13 episodes. Details of the renewal—including which cast members will return, how many episodes will be produced and when the second season will commence—were still being worked out at press time.

Battlestar Galactica has been a ratings winner for SCI FI since its Jan. 14 premiere. The latest episode, Feb. 4's "You Can't Go Home Again," scored the show's best ratings yet, with 3.2 million viewers.

For the show's second season, creator and executive producer Ronald D. Moore previously told SCI FI Wire that he has already been working on as many as six new scripts to resolve the multiple cliffhangers that will end season one. Moore added that he wants to delve deeper into the show's religious themes and open up the Cylon world a bit more in the coming season. Moore continues to post his thoughts on a personal blog on SCIFI.COM. Battlestar Galactica airs Fridays at 10 p.m. ET/PT, part of the channel's SCI FI Fridays lineup.

We get another season!! Woohoo!!!

Don't get me wrong Gaijin, I love all the updates and inside stuff you post, but I thought this was already set? :unsure: Did they just make this decision?

The Pegasus will probably come in around middle to late season two if they keep going the way they are now. Of course now the question is, who will play Commander Kain, who will play Sheeba, what will their Battlestar look like (hopefully more tech advanced then the Galactica), what model vipers will they have onboard, and most important, how did they survive? My thoughts on how it would survive, it was out on pirate hunting patrols towards the edge of colonial space and therefore was unable to recieve its software upgrade along with the rest of the fleet. Believe me this happens a lot, we are still trying to nail down the schedule of one ship we have to perform a software ORDALT on. Of course the Cylons would probably wait until the whole fleet had the software upgrade with their vulnerable lines of code. But, what if the Pegasus was the last hold out, and had it scheduled but had to surge deploy before it could be installed? Or, I would laugh at this and love it, what if the ISEA installing the software had a corrupted programmer and therefore had to purge the program and reinstall the older version? Depending on how they load their software it could be that they realize what was going on and had time to reinstall the old software before getting wiped out. I just hope their explination isn't some corny POS though, and would love to see another model Battlestar and maybe see a few mk5 and mk6 vipers fly off her decks. Of course if they are out pirate hunting during the attack why not join up with the pirates, last hold outs of humanity after all, and the pirates will likely be using old hardware, so we can see some of the intermediate viper designs possibly. Ok I've run on enough,

Addressing BS Pegasus, Galactica.tv had an interview with Moore sometime ago and inquired about the possibility. Moore said something like what Opus and Knight said. If he does it it wouldn't be until late season 2 if not season 3, and possibly it might have a different name.

As for renewal........YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::D

There are rumors about NBC wanting it now for network broadcast and first run rights. Not sure if that is a good thing or not. As long as they don't lighten it up for a younger prime-time audience.

Chris

Don't get me wrong Gaijin, I love all the updates and inside stuff you post, but I thought this was already set?  :unsure: Did they just make this decision?

Yep, like was mentioned nothing was "official". The six additional scripts were ordered, and the ratings announcements pretty much guaranteed a second season but, even those "in the know" couldn't say officially. Once they start releasing press releases, it's considered a "go" for sure.

Many of the cast were being approached with multi-year contracts prior to the announcements, the additional scripts ordered so if the go ahead given could "head start" the process. One interesting rumor was that NBC/Universal who owns Sci-Fi was so interested in the show running on NBC that they were delaying the works by wanting it to shift into their hands. It still could wind up running on both NBC and Sci-Fi much in the same way some shows like Monk are being handled. Universal HD is going to show the mini in high def and many speculate the series soon after once it airs on Sci-Fi, giving their HD station a show no other stand alone High Def station has. Another was the possibilty of USA network also showing the show (Also owned by NBC/Universal).

That being said, I think we may see this show around for awhile. The last episode saw another ratings increase. I wouldn't be surprised if USA or NBC also started airing the show. Only thing I wouldn't want is NBC to have first "run" since my local digital cable NBC station is of crappy quality picture wise. :D

The other thing was that Sci-fi was trying to work out that should the production go the same way as the 1st season (with UK's Sky One footing about 1/3 of the costs), Sky wouldn't get the exclusive "shown first" rights like they did last time eliminating people scrambling to see the UK broadcasts before they aired here.

Edited by Gaijin

Cool! Thanks Gaijin... I'm glad I asked. I'm hoping NBC doesn't air it, because the numbers are a lot more brutal in the network arena than it is within the cable channels. Even though NBC has a better track record of supporting its shows. (damn you ABC)

Cool!  Thanks Gaijin... I'm glad I asked.  I'm hoping NBC doesn't air it, because the numbers are a lot more brutal in the network arena than it is within the cable channels.  Even though NBC has a better track record of supporting its shows.  (damn you ABC)

Good thing this isn't a Fox show. Fox is now known in the industry as the most impatient network in all history of television. Cancelling good shows is a Fox specialty: Family Guy, Firefly and the most recent glaring one being Wonderfalls.

Edited by Gaijin

Cool!  Thanks Gaijin... I'm glad I asked.  I'm hoping NBC doesn't air it, because the numbers are a lot more brutal in the network arena than it is within the cable channels.  Even though NBC has a better track record of supporting its shows.  (damn you ABC)

Good thing this isn't a Fox show. Fox is now known in the industry as the most impatient network in all history of television. Cancelling good shows is a Fox specialty: Family Guy, Firefly and the most recent glaring one being Wonderfalls.

Which is Ironic when you look at the shows that launched the network, Tracy Ullman, ALien Nation, etc...

I hope it doesn't go to a major network - although while ensuring funding, it would just water it down to be consumable by the stupid masses. The more execs that get their hands involved - the more directions and personal egos BSG needs to absorb - thus creating a rambling comittee runned story lines instead of a singular vision which most sucessful show requires. Smaller cable shows can be edgier and push the envelop - creating a fresh re-interpretation which I fear BSG may loose if it goes to the major networks.

Which is Ironic when you look at the shows that launched the network, Tracy Ullman, ALien Nation, etc...

The New Adventures of Bean Baxter, The Brat Patrol, Parker Lewis Can't Lose (heh, that Kubiak will eat anything...)

The New Adventures of Bean Baxter, The Brat Patrol, Parker Lewis Can't Lose (heh, that Kubiak will eat anything...)

Don't forget "Married with Children"...pure white trash, and 100% brilliant. :D

BSG renewed for a second season...Huray! Great show. I just whish that they'd do more than 13 episodes per season; however, if the quality keeps up I can deal with it.