GUNDAM: NETFLIX is working on a live-action Gundam movie

Are they working on it or do they just have the rights to distribute it outside China? It seems Legendary films is the one making it. 

I'm not too excited for this. If Netflix is really the one making it, they tend to take too much creative liberty and the story shifts to being too PC.

Edited by crackpot

20 minutes ago, Duymon said:

inb4 they race-bend everything and there's a weird love-arc between Char and Amuro because Netlix Amirite?

Newtype is a new gender classification and Char wants every human to evolve into one by causing a nuclear winter on earth. Will he succeed or will his love for Amuro get in the way?

Edited by crackpot

2 hours ago, Duymon said:

inb4 they race-bend everything and there's a weird love-arc between Char and Amuro because Netlix Amirite?

What are you talking about, there was never not a love arc between Char and Amuro.

1_kQHS9y-OWGXF4w_RSXJGOQ.thumb.jpeg.1512be2cd051a8d94a2e1467213f76dc.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Keith said:

What are you talking about, there was never not a love arc between Char and Amuro.

Yes, there absolutely wasn't an entire feature film devoted to Char's unrequited man-crush on Amuro complete with him secretly sending Amuro gifts and everything before a dramatic reunion that involves what might as well be actual magic and ending with them dying together.  The Earth didn't move, but a moon-sized asteroid absolutely did.

After all, that'd be crazy, wouldn't it?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yes, there absolutely wasn't an entire feature film devoted to Char's unrequited man-crush on Amuro complete with him secretly sending Amuro gifts and everything before a dramatic reunion that involves what might as well be actual magic and ending with them dying together.  The Earth didn't move, but a moon-sized asteroid absolutely did.

After all, that'd be crazy, wouldn't it?

Lol! I know , right??

I especially liked Amuro lunging out of the jeep to embrace Char off horseback (broke back newtype) . And then they proceed to roll in the grass together..

51 minutes ago, jenius said:

Knowing nothing about Gundam... I was like "cool, live action robot fights!" Then I came to this thread and became very apprehensive.

Gundam is... diverse in its styles of storytelling.

Amuro and Char could most charitably be called best frenemies, but there's a lot of wooly stuff about the evolution of mankind, empathy, and the nature of conflict.  Basically, "like Macross but relentlessly dark and pessimistic."

Keep it on Earth during the One Year War for the film; not a retelling of MS 08th but something in the same vein.  I just think it would appeal to a broader audience unfamiliar with the Franchise as a whole and only getting 90-120 minutes to become invested and slowly introduced into the war in Space and Newtypes.  A two film at once announcement would be better as it would indicate the intention to tell related stories from the different Faction viewpoints.

I think I have to agree with Seto. A new timeline would be the best solution since you won’t have anyone complaining about ruined story lines or miss treated characters. They could start fresh with a story and have designs that don’t have to look like they belong too closely with something preexisting. A masked bad guy and giant robots with the main character piloting one with a v fin would be the main requirements. Beyond that the reasons for conflict and character types would be free range.

11 hours ago, Big s said:

I think I have to agree with Seto. A new timeline would be the best solution since you won’t have anyone complaining about ruined story lines or miss treated characters. They could start fresh with a story and have designs that don’t have to look like they belong too closely with something preexisting. A masked bad guy and giant robots with the main character piloting one with a v fin would be the main requirements. Beyond that the reasons for conflict and character types would be free range.

I don't think a new timeline would solve the issues you are talking about.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.  With Gundam I don't think they have a choice though, the anime designs look goofy in live action.