HG and BW reach an agreement (Link included)

4 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

So, BW is acknowledging HG's claims to.. what exactly?  The animation?  The designs and characters?

I think they are recognizing that Robotech is a thing and they have the right to exploit it.

8 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I think I'm just confused at what this means, or could mean overall.  

So, BW is acknowledging HG's claims to.. what exactly?  The animation?  The designs and characters?

This sounds like it means that HG is just giving up on claiming any part of anything past SDF Macross and DYRL, so the rest of the series might be in the clear for international distribution.  That sounds great, I'm all for it.

But where does that actually leave us with regards to the original series and DYRL?  Does this mean HG is going to keep up the blockade on TV/DYRL merchandise to protect their own products, or does it mean that Big West will bring HG in to cooperate on international distribution on those?

I'm a guessing HG finally gets to use those sweet Mikimoto artwork on their boxes to try to hoodwink customers again of their crappy toynami veritech toys them boxes houses...

:bump:

6 minutes ago, Ikaruss said:

When HG try to sell Robotech merchandising to the japanese people:

From the information given, it doesn't look like they can do that.

They're just becoming a distribution partner for Macross outside Japan, since their license specifically prohibits them from distributing anything to do with the Robotech TV series or its sequels in Japan.

57 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

It could very well be the other way around. I can just picture everyone in this forum getting pissy if something like Macross Frontier gets released with a Robotech Frontier label like the Yamato 2199/2202/2205 series getting released as Starblazers 2199/2202/2205 etc even if the original content from Frontier is unaltered and has a faithful translation to the original Japanese version.

I’ve beaten this point to death and I accept it, but once again a dead ringer to Nikki Basara appeared in an official Robotech product.  It’s my current profile pic.  That and the material it came from should definitely count as one of top 10 betrayals in... whatever medium and genre HG considers Robotech to be part of at this point.  Good for them if they are able to recover from that.

Edited by Einherjar

1 minute ago, Einherjar said:

I’ve beaten this point to death and I accept it, but once again a dead ringer to Nikki Basara appeared in a official Robotech product.  It’s my current profile pic.  That and the material it came from should definitely count as one of top 10 betrayals in... whatever medium and genre HG considers Robotech to be part of at this point.

Eh, it's worth remembering that the publisher got busted on at least one prior occasion for "borrowing" from works he didn't have permission to use. <_< 

Mind you, I'm A-OK if they wanna Star Blazers 2199 this nonsense.  As long as Macross proper gets into the hands of western audiences an artifact title is a tiny price to pay.

13 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

From the information given, it doesn't look like they can do that.

They're just becoming a distribution partner for Macross outside Japan, since their license specifically prohibits them from distributing anything to do with the Robotech TV series or its sequels in Japan.

I only mean the merchandising, not the series.
You know, the stockings, the plushies and the 17 euros hats...

For the rest, I have not read anything that indicates that HG acts as an international distributor. That will surely be through Funimation which is from Sony, but not from HG.
In fact, as I read and understand the matter, HG only saw how Daddy Big West and Daddy Sony made their arrangements.

Just now, Ikaruss said:

I only mean the merchandising, not the series.
You know, the stockings, the plushies and the 17 euros hats...

The same limit applies to merchandise... not just distribution of the animation.

Japan has always been off-limits to HG and Robotech because the rights Tatsunoko received from Big West were limited to outside of Japan.

As much as I'd love to see a ROBOTECH movie I think that ship sailed decades ago. The IP is old just like many of its fans, including me, with nothing new  that earns my interest. On a side note I sold all my entire ROBOTECH and anime collection (1980s comics, Japanese art books, etc) in the past year and pretty much keep myself entertained by trolling HG's Facebook page. 

Maybe we'll see a ROBOTECH film but I doubt the film with either be good, successful or even remotely like the series.

Wanna bring back ROBOTECH? Reboot the series Voltron or Yamato 2199 style.

RIP Carl Macek.

Edited by TangledThorns

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Which implies we can get Frontier and Delta here and new series,

Since Netflix in Japan does have both those series to stream I am expecting them to show up internationally with subs.

*Does Happy Dance!*

54 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

54xe9b.jpg

And calling each other friend......creeps me out! 

corporate talk..i get it tho...

39 minutes ago, Ikaruss said:

When HG try to sell Robotech merchandising to the japanese people:

Yes point taken :D....FWIW...I do not think the agreement covers any merchandising...only movies....

Edited by seti88

7 minutes ago, RedWolf said:

Since Netflix in Japan does have both those series to stream I am expecting them to show up internationally with subs.

That kinda brings a possibilty.

Maybe Sony/Funi will be able to finally correct those atrocious near-engrish bandai-subs on Macross Plus BD's  eps 3 and 4 when Macross Plus anime gets official distribution outside of Japan again, especially here in the US.

Of course, Sony/Funi will most likely severely botched up the encodes of it as per their usual routine...

Maybe one day all the people that tell me they know anime , but draw a blank face when i say Macross, will finally get it...

But then a light bulb will go off in their head and they'll say  "oh! That's Robotech, right?":5:

3 minutes ago, 1st Border Red Devil said:

Well, I'm currently watching the Battletech fanboys losing their freaking minds over this, which is hilarious.

That must be quite a show.

3 minutes ago, 1st Border Red Devil said:

and they're still morons that cling to their Mandela Effect stupidity that Battletech isn't the result of actual copyright squatters (in this case, TCI).

It's weird that anyone ever attempted to argue TCI ever had rights to the Macross designs in the first place. 

Twentieth Century Imports (TCI) was a import hobby retailer buying Macross and other anime kits at wholesale in Japan to sell via their catalog service in the states.  It's like arguing that Best Buy owns the rights to the Tachikomas because they sell Ghost in the Shell DVDs.

Just now, pengbuzz said:

On another note, I'm hoping this means at some point, we could see valks in the US that wouldn't break one's wallet.

It'd be nice.

I suspect our best bet are probably the Bandai plamodels, since various retailers here in the states like GameStop and Barnes & Noble already carry gunpla.

6 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It'd be nice.

I suspect our best bet are probably the Bandai plamodels, since various retailers here in the states like GameStop and Barnes & Noble already carry gunpla.

Or perhaps some of Hasegawa;s Macross stuff as well? I'd like o find a TV version Storm Attacker SDF-1.

2 minutes ago, Keith said:

Ya'll joke, but Macross 7 will finally shine in the U.S.!

Hey, I'd be down for some Angel Voice or Totsugeki Love Heart! Power to the dream!

Edited by pengbuzz

4 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

On another note, I'm hoping this means at some point, we could see valks in the US that wouldn't break one's wallet.

If things go through, P-Bandai USA will gladly sell you a DX Chogokin Macross Valk for, i dunno, US$350? (plus local taxes) for a:

• VF-31F
  • VF-31E (original head)
  • SV-262

Maybe they'll be generous enough to also offer them Lil Drakens pack for an additional US$150.

And that's about it, I'm guessing.

It'll be really interesting if the DX VF-1 variants and/or the DX YF-19 will be offered at all...

:touche:

Just now, pengbuzz said:

Or perhaps some of Hasegawa;s Macross stuff as well? I'd like o find a TV version Storm Attacker SDF-1.

Not sure if it's just a regional taste in my area or what, but out where I live there have been plenty of retailers carrying Hasegawa Macross kids since I was a kid... I never really thought to question it until nearly a decade later.

54 minutes ago, Mog said:

Frontier was solid.

I wouldn’t lump it with Delta or 7.

I liked Delta, too.  Heck, 7 was the weakest Macross series, but even that I enjoyed for what it was.

*Watch this space* over the next few months. I think there will be some TM amendments made.

My take is this is essentially a "stay-in-your-lane" agreement. Nothing changes with SDFM and DYRL?. FASA? SDFM and DYRL? merch?  No change. Those are done deals.

RT live action movie? BW will not file any lawsuit as soon as it places a foot on Japanese soil. Likewise, HG will not make a move on II, Plus, 7, Zero, Frontier, Delta, maybe even VF-X games, etc. touching US soil. As long as there is some money changing hands (likely). BW can finally get some sweet-sweet US money into their pockets. We can finally get Macross by shelling out moderate amounts of money on it instead of paying ridiculous import prices, which honestly puts money directly into BW’s pocket than paying a US distributor which somehow be funneled to BW. RT can now firmly continue to exist. My stance on RT , however, continues to be the same. They need to create their own IP, designs and all and be free from paying money to someone else. Until that happens, they will continue to be the ugly spawn-of-the-devil idea that's been milking that teat way past the cadaver stage. 

Oh, and Delta is still and will forever be Zoomer trash.:bad:

7 is BOMBA!:wub::yahoo: Search your feelings. You know it's true. :ph34r:

Had not even thought about video games too!  Really looking forward to seeing all the joyous things that see domestic US distribution.

twich

If this means HG stops making it expensive for me to get my transforming robot planes then I’m all for this deal.  If it means they get to stick their logo on the box but I save $50-$100 hell  yes.  I would love to buy the 1/48 VF1D from a local store.