[Disney] Cruella Live Action

Old_Nash

I shared this with my sister. Her response was

"What? What?! ... Of all the villains they could choose, they went with the one whose entire character is 'wants to murder puppies'?!?"

She then started running down the list of better options for "Maleficent 2". Jafar, Scar, and Snow White's Queen made her short list. She genuinely WANTS to see Scar.

BUT NOPE! WE GET PUPPY MURDERER DEVILLE!

2 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

First thought yesterday after seeing the thumbnail:  Is this a parody?

First thought today after watching the trailer: Is this a parody?

I firmly believe the universe has flipped, and reality is now being written by all of the characters co-opted over the years for ridiculous and non-sensical fanfic, as a form of revenge against their creators.

Disney... WHY?!

I mean, I get that they're reluctant to gamble on original properties when the parks are hemorrhaging money and reluctant to risk antagonizing theater chains by releasing new films direct-to-streaming while theaters in many areas are shut down, but this is... this... I don't have a word for what this is.  Did we really need an origin story for Disney villain whose one and only ambition in life was apparently to own a dogskin windcheater?

This is like doing an origin story for the poacher McLeach from The Rescuers Down Under.  He doesn't have or need a complicated origin.  He's just an arsehose who's cruel to animals professionally.

7 hours ago, JB0 said:

She then started running down the list of better options for "Maleficent 2".

... they already made Maleficent 2... it was called Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, and it came out back in 2019.  It barely broke even, and got decidedly mixed reviews from critics.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

This is like doing an origin story for the poacher McLeach from The Rescuers Down Under.  He doesn't have or need a complicated origin.  He's just an arsehose who's cruel to animals professionally.

Yes, but why?  Why is he so cruel?  Did his childhood puppy not like him?  Was there some horrific trauma associated with mice?  These are the questions that must be answered in order for us to understand him and thus be more sympathetic to his life's pain.....c'mon, Disney!  Make it so! ;)

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

they already made Maleficent 2... it was called Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, and it came out back in 2019.  It barely broke even, and got decidedly mixed reviews from critics.

Oooops.

Maleficent Gaiden: The New Evil?

5 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Yes, but why?  Why is he so cruel?  Did his childhood puppy not like him?  Was there some horrific trauma associated with mice?  These are the questions that must be answered in order for us to understand him and thus be more sympathetic to his life's pain.....c'mon, Disney!  Make it so! ;)

Pretty sure the answer is "money".

I'd originally thought about making a dig at how absurd Cruella de Vil's motivation is, but after some research I discovered that it wasn't until the early 2000s that the US and UK finally banned fur farming of cats and dogs and the imports of fur clothing made from cats and dosg and that they're STILL a common source for "faux' furs made in Asia. :wacko:

Gonna go down the history rabbit hole on this one, because now I'm actually genuinely curious if Cruella de Vil's particular taste would've been socially acceptable at the time Dodie Smith penned The Hundred and One Dalmatians back in 1956.

I guess they're not sticking with her origin story from the book, though... where she was kind of an odd bird who was expelled from school for drinking ink, was a broke noble who married a furrier simply so she could get access to his unsold inventory as her personal wardrobe, and was basically completely batsh*t.

25 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Maleficent Gaiden: The New Evil?

At least there's room to do something interesting with Maleficent.  She's a fairy, and a powerful one at that.

Spoiler

In Disney's adaptation, you could make an excellent argument that the King is the stupidest person in the whole Disney canon.

By not inviting Maleficent to the royal christening for his daughter, he deliberately antagonized the most powerful magical being around and prevented her from participating in an event that could be best described as a protracted game of gift-giving one-upmanship among the social elite.  If he'd invited her, social convention would not only have kept her from starting a fight... she'd have been compelled by that same social convention to demonstrate her higher status than the other fairies by giving a greater gift.  Maleficent may be the movie's villain, but King Stefan all but said "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" when he slighted her by not inviting her and then immediately regretted it when he was reminded that fairies are vindictive little sh*ts. 

Definitely agree there were better options to work with... Scar, Jafar, Shan Yu, the witch from Beauty and the Beast.

Actually, no.  I know what I want.  I want an origin story for Kronk and Yzma from The Emperor's New Groove.

I've never even thought of a movie based on Cruella's early life. Has there been some underground movement to get something like this going..?

Why not just give us a live version of Frozen or Tangled? Or a sequel to Tangled, finally! Or a third Maleficent! (Have to say I really liked the second one. The first was good, but the third ironed our the kinks and gave a good story.) Sounds like someone at Disney was trying too hard, but conversely, not trying hard enough!

Edited by Thom

18 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Wonder who they would get to play Yzma?   Surely it couldn't be any worse than replacing Robin Williams with The Fresh Prince, right? Right?!?! ;)

Sadly, the perfect actress is no longer with us... Bea Arthur.

Who else in Hollywood specializes in playing "bitter and cantankerous" these days?

7 hours ago, electric indigo said:

I can't believe that you prefer a live action version of another goody-two-shoes princess above Emma f*n Stone playing an avant-le-lettre riot grrrl in 70's London. They should've given this to Guy Ritchie instead of that darn Aladdin.

Call it a Vote of No Confidence in Disney's writers after the Star Wars sequel trilogy, Solo: a Star Wars StoryMulan, etc.

Let's just say their track record for live-action adaptations and origin story prequels is not exactly good...

(Cruella wasn't exactly a complex character either, even before the 1956 children's novel was cut down for the Disney animated adaptation... she was just a sociopath with what could only be called a fur fetish.)

I enjoyed Maleficant. But i have zero interest in this. How can they possibly come up with a compelling story about an evil , crazy woman that wants to skin puppies?

Mouse ears should get the rights to do the movie version of Wicked. That's a no brainer..

On 2/18/2021 at 11:18 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Disney... WHY?!

I mean, I get that they're reluctant to gamble on original properties when the parks are hemorrhaging money and reluctant to risk antagonizing theater chains by releasing new films direct-to-streaming while theaters in many areas are shut down, but this is... this... I don't have a word for what this is.  Did we really need an origin story for Disney villain whose one and only ambition in life was apparently to own a dogskin windcheater?

... they already made Maleficent 2... it was called Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, and it came out back in 2019.  It barely broke even, and got decidedly mixed reviews from critics.

At this rate, they might as well make an origin story for Jaffar from Aladdin. :|

17 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

At this rate, they might as well make an origin story for Jaffar from Aladdin. :|

Give it time, I'm sure they'll get there.

I'm sure it'd make for a more compelling backstory than "sociopathic noblewoman expelled from school for drinking ink gets into a loveless marriage to indulge her fetish for fur clothing", or whatever they're trying to reinvent that (the backstory from the children's novel) into for this film.

On watching this trailer again, I can say I am honestly not sure if replacing Emma Stone with Jared Leto in drag would improve this or not.  I should probably just content myself with being surprised they didn't cast Helena Bonham Carter, since "crazy chick with messy hair" is basically her thing.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Give it time, I'm sure they'll get there.

I'm sure it'd make for a more compelling backstory than "sociopathic noblewoman expelled from school for drinking ink gets into a loveless marriage to indulge her fetish for fur clothing", or whatever they're trying to reinvent that (the backstory from the children's novel) into for this film.

On watching this trailer again, I can say I am honestly not sure if replacing Emma Stone with Jared Leto in drag would improve this or not.  I should probably just content myself with being surprised they didn't cast Helena Bonham Carter, since "crazy chick with messy hair" is basically her thing.

They could have gone with Charlize Theron for that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...