How to repair broken hinge

Sokeijon

This was a very common break (BP8 IIRC). There were resin replacement parts eons ago but I can't recall the last time I saw one floating around and I don't think I ever saw black ones. 3D printing sounds promising but I can't recall seeing anyone tackle it. Sorry I don't have happier tidings.. that's a tough one to fix.

1 hour ago, Sokeijon said:

Sob sob...thank you for your replying. I'm trying to use epoxy glue. Still working on it.

No, you do not want epoxy on that; it is too brittle.

What you are going to want is Devcon Plastic Welder. it is a two-part adhesive with far better bonding power and durability. If you live in the US, they have the black version at Home Depot in their Automotive aisle.

Trust me; I use this stuff all the time and it's far better for these kinds of repairs. Clean the break and the part that broke off with 91 percent rubbing alcohol, them mix up the material, apply and place the snapped hinge part. Once cured, it should be as good as new.

46 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

What you are going to want is Devcon Plastic Welder. it is a two-part adhesive with far better bonding power and durability. If you live in the US, they have the black version at Home Depot in their Automotive aisle.

Trust me; I use this stuff all the time and it's far better for these kinds of repairs. Clean the break and the part that broke off with 91 percent rubbing alcohol, them mix up the material, apply and place the snapped hinge part. Once cured, it should be as good as new.

Thanks for the tips. Will try that out. Really appreciate it.

50 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Thanks for the tips. Will try that out. Really appreciate it.

My next worry is putting back the hinges pin. It was so difficult to pull it out.

An update. I have tried using Araldite Epoxy Mixed. Failed to fix at the first time, then managed to "fixed" it. Not perfect, but still can transform between fighter mode to Gerwalk mode with a lot of extra care. The hinges are missed align and I have to trim to make it work. There are more and more breaking parts. For instance, super strike parts cracked when it's removed, a crack behind the feet, the gun pod holding the belt chain cracked too.

IMG_20201221_192300.jpg

IMG_20201221_192115.jpg

Sorry about your breaks! If that is ABS plastic, the best glue is simple Acetone. It will melt the plastic like model cement. It will also mess up paint and markings so surgically apply it with a tiny brush or similar tool. Then let it cure a couple of days to solidify. - MT

21 hours ago, MechTech said:

Sorry about your breaks! If that is ABS plastic, the best glue is simple Acetone. It will melt the plastic like model cement. It will also mess up paint and markings so surgically apply it with a tiny brush or similar tool. Then let it cure a couple of days to solidify. - MT

It's okay Brother MT. It's due to mishandling. It was in fighter mode earlier and my wife lifted up and lost balance (it is heavy with super strike parts) and cracked it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 9/2/2021 at 2:12 AM, Sokeijon said:

Hello guys, just to share the latest update since the last post. Lost my job during this pandemic and with extra time, I have casted the BP8, BP9's hook (I lost it from my VF-1J) and SV-51's stand's connector. I feel that using the AB Resin is much better than AB Putty.IMG_20210828_103926.jpg.9bf2a55822cc57388ba540d3b0acf9ce.jpgIMG_20210829_193209.jpg.c067c29a921d99f2b38c67a326c52c1b.jpg

IMG_20210824_231502.jpg

Nice save on the joint!