Hi-Metal R and DX ChogoKin - Differences

HKBEN

Hi, 

I loved so much my DX Chogokin VF-1S (Roy) bought from eBay. DHL shipping speed is crazy FAST! From Japan to US, take about 2 days.

At this moment, I stick on Bandai (brain-wash during kid era) toys. Could someone comments about the differences between the Hi-Metal (1/72?) vs DX (1/48)? I know the DX has more details, but the Hi-M could be cheaper with more accessories?? Pro and con, or something can share. Your comments could help me or others to make future buy decisions. 

Thank you.

Ben

15 minutes ago, HKBEN said:

Hi, 

I loved so much my DX Chogokin VF-1S (Roy) bought from eBay. DHL shipping speed is crazy FAST! From Japan to US, take about 2 days.

At this moment, I stick on Bandai (brain-wash during kid era) toys. Could someone comments about the differences between the Hi-Metal (1/72?) vs DX (1/48)? I know the DX has more details, but the Hi-M could be cheaper with more accessories?? Pro and con, or something can share. Your comments could help me or others to make future buy decisions. 

Thank you.

Ben

For FAQ like this, it's best that you post this in the TOYS FAQ thread below since we have individual thread for DX 1/48 and Hi-Metal R 1/100.

To answer your question, feel free to browse our own @jenius on his Scorched Earth Toys website for reviews. You fill find mostly there. ;)

http://www.anymoon.com/blog/

VF-1 DX Chogokin - http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=12016

VF-1 Hi-Metal R - http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=8199

Edited by no3Ljm

18 minutes ago, HKBEN said:

Hi, 

I loved so much my DX Chogokin VF-1S (Roy) bought from eBay. DHL shipping speed is crazy FAST! From Japan to US, take about 2 days.

Thank you.

Ben

HMR = smaller (1/100-ish) vs DX larger (1/48-ish)

HMR = lower cost (generally, especially during the PO phase, MSRP are lower for VF's)  vs  DX = higher cost (higher MSRPs, can be much higher after release)

HMR = higher variety (you can get VF's, enemy mechs, destroids)  vs DX less variety (at this point and most likely in the future, you can only get VF's..we may get a VT and VE, but doubtful we will ever get enemy mechs or Destroids at the current scale)

HMR = less detailed (such as less articulation, gimmicks and tampo)  vs DX = more detailed (such as more articulation, gimmicks and tampo)

I am sure there are other differences, but these are the main ones....it really boils down to what you want to get out of your collection. 

Do you want the best "current" version of a PT VF-1 toy?  Do you value having as many mecha represented in your collection in the same "scale"?  Is cost a factor or are you rich beyond the dreams of Avarice?  Do you need to catch 'em all? 

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

For FAQ like this, it's best that you post this in the TOYS FAQ thread below since we have individual thread for DX 1/48 and Hi-Metal R 1/100.

To answer your question, feel free to browse our own @jenius on his Scorched Earth Toys website for reviews. You fill find mostly there. ;)

http://www.anymoon.com/blog/

VF-1 DX Chogokin - http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=12016

VF-1 Hi-Metal R - http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=8199

Wow, many info and I will read those links. Thank you. 

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

HMR = smaller (1/100-ish) vs DX larger (1/48-ish)

HMR = lower cost (generally, especially during the PO phase, MSRP are lower for VF's)  vs  DX = higher cost (higher MSRPs, can be much higher after release)

HMR = higher variety (you can get VF's, enemy mechs, destroids)  vs DX less variety (at this point and most likely in the future, you can only get VF's..we may get a VT and VE, but doubtful we will ever get enemy mechs or Destroids at the current scale)

HMR = less detailed (such as less articulation, gimmicks and tampo)  vs DX = more detailed (such as more articulation, gimmicks and tampo)

I am sure there are other differences, but these are the main ones....it really boils down to what you want to get out of your collection. 

Do you want the best "current" version of a PT VF-1 toy?  Do you value having as many mecha represented in your collection in the same "scale"?  Is cost a factor or are you rich beyond the dreams of Avarice?  Do you need to catch 'em all? 

Appreciated for your comment. It is true that HMR has higher variety, and this is one of the reasons I wanted to know more about this HMR. 

For HMR, in term of quality (such as the joint tightness, gap, parts fitness etc...), is it closed to DX? Maybe use the DX vs HMR VF-1S?

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, HKBEN said:

Appreciated for your comment. It is true that HMR has higher variety, and this is one of the reasons I wanted to know more about this HMR. 

For HMR, in term of quality (such as the joint tightness, gap, parts fitness etc...), is it closed to DX? Maybe use the DX vs HMR VF-1S?

Thanks.

It's really hard to compare DX with HMR. Because they were not made the same. HMR is not a smaller scale version of a DX figure.

Regarding your question, whether it's DX or HMR, some will have loose joints just right out of the box.

The best one to compare the DX Valks is with the Arcadia/Yamato released Valks. Or if your concern is mostly on the joints and tightness of it, you can somehow compare it with Metal Builds.

HMR figures on the other hand, is best to compare it with the previous HM VF-1's or with Toynami's 1/100. When the joints get loosen up, it's simple to have it fix. Whereas with DX, not all of it can be open up without the possibility of breaking or cracking some parts if you want to tighten up the joints.

The best way to describe this actually, is that HMR is for playing while DX is for collecting.

If you have extra money, why not buy both and enjoy? DX to display and HMR to play with. :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, HKBEN said:

Thanks.

You need to understand that HMR, more or less, is the current entry point for Macross toy collecting...if you want the quality of a Japanese product.  It is a great toy, but will not be as good as Bandai's other line, which is the DX line.  Apples and Oranges.  It's strengths are price point, size, variety, and superior quality when compared to the next closest alternative at this scale.

The DX toys are large and well-made, perfect transformation, etc. HMR toys, due to the smaller size and cost point, have some sacrifices, like swapping out the heatshield for the cockpit glass and the lack of integral landing gear (which are pop-in pieces instead). But the HMRs are decent quality for their size, unlike the Toynami 1/100 garbage that falls apart when you just look at it.

The stars of the HMR line are the destroids and enemy mechs more than the VFs. The Monster is BEAUTIFUL. Given I didn't want to collect a different scale (since I already had 1/48, 1/55, and 1/60 toys), I hesitated on getting into HMR. I told myself I'd *only* get the Monster. It was so incredible that I had to get a Defender and Spartan to go with it. And a Glaug. And some Regults. I finally bit the bullet and got the Messer Memorial Vf-1S because at least it was a different color scheme from everything else I had. Next thing I knew I went from this:

No photo description available.

to this:

to finally this:

Image may contain: indoor

The part-swapping is a bigger concern if you are a collector that likes to transform their VF regularly....if you gravitate to one particular mode, then it is less of an issue...for the HM/HMR line I like all its modes, but picked one mode for each VF I have displayed.....for the DX....bigger is better....so I display them in the most imposing mode possible, which is in Battroid mode towering over every other VF PT toy.....

@HKBEN have you looked into KC's 1/72 VF-1J?  In many ways it is a scaled-down version of the Bandai DX.....it is not as good, interms of fit and overall quality than the DX but the price is right and it is a good alternative for the HMR......mine has so far held up, but then again I do not transform it too often..........it is much better than their previous 1/72 VF-1S Focker, which you should stay away from until they release it using the same mold as the VF-1J or better....

large.1217701611_KCVF-1J2.jpg.8a2b432eff

On 12/9/2020 at 10:46 PM, no3Ljm said:

It's really hard to compare DX with HMR. Because they were not made the same. HMR is not a smaller scale version of a DX figure.

Regarding your question, whether it's DX or HMR, some will have loose joints just right out of the box.

The best one to compare the DX Valks is with the Arcadia/Yamato released Valks. Or if your concern is mostly on the joints and tightness of it, you can somehow compare it with Metal Builds.

HMR figures on the other hand, is best to compare it with the previous HM VF-1's or with Toynami's 1/100. When the joints get loosen up, it's simple to have it fix. Whereas with DX, not all of it can be open up without the possibility of breaking or cracking some parts if you want to tighten up the joints.

The best way to describe this actually, is that HMR is for playing while DX is for collecting.

If you have extra money, why not buy both and enjoy? DX to display and HMR to play with. :rolleyes:

My problem is not much to spend :). I collected diecast airplanes which it maybe more easy to decide what scale to start from (1/72), it is similar theory to HMR (higher variety) vs DX (fewer). I am happy with my DX and it has very high profile and standard. For myself, I think, probably just stick with 1-2 DX is enough. I will try to find a way to physically try a HMR on hands, probably the best is going to Toy show. Thanks for your sharing.

Ben 

On 12/10/2020 at 9:39 AM, vladykins said:

The DX toys are large and well-made, perfect transformation, etc. HMR toys, due to the smaller size and cost point, have some sacrifices, like swapping out the heatshield for the cockpit glass and the lack of integral landing gear (which are pop-in pieces instead). But the HMRs are decent quality for their size, unlike the Toynami 1/100 garbage that falls apart when you just look at it.

The stars of the HMR line are the destroids and enemy mechs more than the VFs. The Monster is BEAUTIFUL. Given I didn't want to collect a different scale (since I already had 1/48, 1/55, and 1/60 toys), I hesitated on getting into HMR. I told myself I'd *only* get the Monster. It was so incredible that I had to get a Defender and Spartan to go with it. And a Glaug. And some Regults. I finally bit the bullet and got the Messer Memorial Vf-1S because at least it was a different color scheme from everything else I had. Next thing I knew I went from this:

to this:

to finally this:

Image may contain: indoor

Thank you for your time to share your collection. I stared similar situation in my airplane collection. Told myself just to buy F-14 Jolly Rogers only (because of Macross Roy :)), then I ended up with over 800 boxes of airplanes, and now selling them off. The GBPs on the top shelf look awesome! I hope Bandai will do the part set GBP for the DX VF-1S, probably with those missiles firing (like the Robot Spirits concept) as option. 

Ben

5 hours ago, vladykins said:

But if you collect 1/72 scale planes, the Kitzconcepts in 1/72 might work best. Plus there aren't a bunch to get caught up in.

Good idea. I also have a thought if Bandai considers it. I have 3-4 Gundam Robot Spirits, they made with plastic but pretty details and highly flex in joints. Most of them cost about $30 - $50. I do not need it transformable, but giving the same quality as Gundam series then I am happy - my dream :) 

3 hours ago, HKBEN said:

Good idea. I also have a thought if Bandai considers it. I have 3-4 Gundam Robot Spirits, they made with plastic but pretty details and highly flex in joints. Most of them cost about $30 - $50. I do not need it transformable, but giving the same quality as Gundam series then I am happy - my dream :) 

Wait till you get hold of Metal Damashii or Metal Builds. Your view in Gundam collecting will surely change. ;) 

Kitzconcept's VF-1J is great.  I, personally, love the sculpt and it has hands down the best detailing with the tampo printing and panel line wash, in my opinion.  To me, it kind of has the looks of the DX line but the feel of the Hi-Metal line, if that makes any sense.

13 hours ago, vladykins said:

But if you collect 1/72 scale planes, the Kitzconcepts in 1/72 might work best. Plus there aren't a bunch to get caught up in.

Umm.....about that.  

48377279_2256330844623297_7895227029191131136_o.thumb.jpeg.492cfc11e659d2ca457845d245dddfec.jpeg

48415439_2256305004625881_454943895432724480_o.thumb.jpeg.20075f40ffdf6496dbb03833c9570a0f.jpeg

48371893_2256304994625882_2866270378018209792_o.thumb.jpeg.8af65cf912451f7b7b15e2aada5ac9e6.jpeg

48398966_2256330781289970_4196163707954266112_o.thumb.jpeg.6ffa657dcfb02a4e6ad658003bf13c21.jpeg

Granted, only Rick's 1J and Roy's 1S (along with 2 special schemed variants) are available so far, but still....they're a'comin.

They've also said they have enemy mech planned as well, though no timetable as to when was given.  Very interested to see where this line goes. (I LOVE those hands on the GBP, by the way)

Edited by mantisfists

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to what’s been mentioned:

HMR TV VF-1 releases have more TV style hands.  HMR VF-1 releases have metal sliders for the arms.  There are optional VF-1 missile effects.  They are packaged in thin cardboard with box windows and have beautifully painted Tenjin artwork.

DX VF-1 releases come with gun straps, side covers, the antenna for Gerwalk mode, and the correct DYRL and TV arm armor.  They are packaged in thicker cardboard.