R.I.P. Chuck Yeager

While I was on active duty years ago, I ran into different folks at different times who'd been stationed at Edwards AFB, where Gen. Yeager ruled the roost, so to speak. The man, deservedly, was larger than life, and apparently he, and his wife by extension, as officers' wives often do, liked to throw their considerable weight around in acts of entitlement that oft rubbed their fellow airmen the wrong way. In truth, I heard more negative stories from fellow airmen than positive about the good general, as he, and his wife, were apparently unpleasant to deal with. That said, one can't ignore the enormity of his accomplishments, or the extremity of his courage in facing the odds, supposed or real, of successfully accomplishing those acts which have brought him much deserved recognition and accolades. It's difficult for us in a post SR-71 and Concorde world to remember that before a young Capt. Yeager strapped on a Bell X-1 and rode it to supersonic history, many scientists had dire predictions concerning what would happen to a human being if he passed beyond the sound barrier. Pilots are brave folks by default, and test pilots are a breed above, with extraordinary intestinal fortitude in the face of potential death or dismemberment every time they strap in; however, I'm sure behind the bravado, Capt Yeager , for a fleeting moment, couldn't help but wonder if those scientists were right. It's only human to consider our mortality from time to time, and despite his godlike status, he was still one of us in the end. I've seen Gen Yeager's Bell X-1 at the Smithsonian, and it's difficult to think that such a small craft accomplished a world-changing paradigm of thought in the field of aeronautics, and that a young captain had the audacity and courage to face those uncertain odds and ride it into history. What's also amazing is that Gen. Yeager started his career as an enlisted aircraft mechanic , became an enlisted pilot, received his commission, and climbed the ladder farther than the vast majority of prior enlisted officers ever do. In so many ways, his story is unique, and we've truly lost an American hero in his passing. Godspeed, General. RIP

Edited by M'Kyuun

• azrael locked this topic