Let's talk about Nippon Yasan (legal action)

Arkham

Hello folks,

First my apologies to the mods, I didn't knew where to put it, and since it's definitely related to Toys, I thought this would be the most appropriate place.

Going through the threads I saw several messages of people warning about bad experiences with Nippon Yasan, and of course being (semi) young and stupid I though: "that's never going happen to me..."

I had/have a pre-order of 4 items with Nippon Yasan (September 2019). Long story they said they could send just 2 of those. Right now they say that Japan Mail has my order, yet they fail to provide a tracking number.

I got scammed, badly. And it's partially my fault for ignoring all the red flags, so if you are new to this and plan to order something from them: beware.

In a modern civilized world, there should be a way to rectify this. Obviously this is not going to get fixed through Costumer Support. 

I wanted to check with you guys what are my options at this point. Can I request a refund to the credit card company based on a scam? Not aware of japanese law, but (leaving the monetary cost aside for a moment) would it be possible to sue them or legal action?

Please any ideas, tips or stories would be greatly appreciated.

Never had a problem with them until the Bandai DX SSP set. Paid back in June of 2019. They never shipped it and won’t answer any of my messages about the status of the order...still shows unfulfilled...or about a refund. Heck I’d even settle for store credit as someone else said they did for them but they just ignore my messages.  They took my money and don’t care. Theives. 

Chris

Like everyone else, I ordered my SSP back in June of 2019, paid my money, and started waiting. After a year I submitted a ticket and was told that they were not available from the manufacturer at the time. They offered me store credit if I didn't want to wait. I told them that I would just wait it out. Then about a month ago I received a message that my shipment was being prepared and then another e-mail telling me they shipped via UPS (or was it FedEx, I can't remember now.) Anyway, less that a week later they were here. It took forever, but they did get me what I had ordered. Would I use them again, possibly. I don't really believe the lack of product was their fault. Did they oversell? Feels like it, but who knows. The times I emailed them it took at least 24 hours to reply, but that reply was always courteous and apologetic. I have used them many times in the past and have never had a problem with anything until this. YMMV though.

OP...If your order has indeed shipped and you received a shipped notice, you can go to your order history and select that order. Within the order details is a link to your tracking unless you have a non-trackable shipping method but I don't think any of those are even options at this point. There are many issues about NY that have been discussed but there should be no issue with them if your order is actually shipped.

8 hours ago, Slave IV said:

OP...If your order has indeed shipped and you received a shipped notice, you can go to your order history and select that order. Within the order details is a link to your tracking unless you have a non-trackable shipping method but I don't think any of those are even options at this point. There are many issues about NY that have been discussed but there should be no issue with them if your order is actually shipped.

The current status according to the page is "Preorder Payment - OK", they just say in the chat that it has been handled over to Japan Mail. Now I find it difficult to believe that you just give over 20 thousan yen to the mail without them giving you any way to identify or track it. Smells BS to me.

It's the lack of communication that kills me.

The issues with Nippon Yasan happened when Japan began restricting certain types of mail options from Japan and into other countries.  Nipping Yasan then continued taking orders and allowing customers to select shipping options that were banned by their country.  This in turn led to customers waiting on their items to ship and then being told they could pay an excessive fee to have it shipped UPS or select a less desirable shipping option that increased shipping time and limits visibility with little and sometimes no tracking options.

It’s a terrible way to service customers but no legal action will take root or go forward, COVID-19 has been a powerful reason for judges to dismiss lawsuits.  

The worst thing they did was take all of the orders on movie strike parts and never fulfill them and then only offer vouchers.  They basically took money with regard to the Movie Strike Parts.

Your credit card company is the best option.

And although i know it seems unlikely, after COVID restrictions are gone, I think most will still use Nippon Yasan as they always got product, people have short memories and even those who got screwed will often go with it again based on the circumstances being different.

I’m getting pounded by them now to, paying high service fees to get my Fokker and TV Super Parts, and I have a Dom Troppen that has been in preparation in progress for over a month and a half.

On 11/16/2020 at 5:00 AM, Arkham said:

Not aware of japanese law, but (leaving the monetary cost aside for a moment) would it be possible to sue them or legal action?

Please any ideas, tips or stories would be greatly appreciated.

Ignoring legal costs, your best bet is to contact an attorney who specializes in Japanese business law and ask about a consultation, because this is a very complicated issue, well beyond the scope of legal laypeople. While Japan has consumer protection laws, the question is whether these Japanese consumer protection laws offer protection to non-citizens who have no physical presence in Japan. And like Ridden001 pointed out, the pandemic is almost certainly going to make things more complicated from a business and court standpoint too.

Good luck on getting this sorted out!

10 hours ago, bleecher said:

Don't know how the credit card company can help since it's been over a year since the order has been placed and I am not aware of anyone getting a successful refund that way. I, too, have sent them multiple messages and received no reply.

Your credit card company is there to serve you. It doesn't matter how long it's been, especially if you have documentation on when an item was supposed to release and any communications you have in trying to get the item. You shouldn't really need more info than I paid this much for this item and I don't have this item so I want my money back.

9 hours ago, Arkham said:

The current status according to the page is "Preorder Payment - OK", they just say in the chat that it has been handled over to Japan Mail. Now I find it difficult to believe that you just give over 20 thousan yen to the mail without them giving you any way to identify or track it. Smells BS to me.

It's the lack of communication that kills me.

Preorder Payment - OK means it hasn't shipped yet. "Shipped" means shipped.

3 hours ago, Hobby Genki said:

Im not gonna go into details, but its not only the corona, but the big boss of nippon left the company with a lot of money so thats why nippon since some month is so bad (i mean more than usual). So the best for now is to maybe think twice before buying with them.

This is good to know and also explains a lot.

I have an order from FEB 2020...shipping option was JP Ferry from the start.  All of the items in this order were supposedly in stock at the time of the order.  It was paid in full in FEB 2020.  It has yet to ship.  I'm still struggling to get them to explain why this hasn't shipped.  I am in no hurry, but even in these times, this is unacceptable.  They were quick to take my money and all I get from support is "the delivery center has been contacted" or "the delivery center must not have seen your order."  

National-Lampoons-Vacation-Metallic-Pea-

What makes someone wait a year or more to "follow-up" on their orders?  Is it the "fear" of being perma-banned by some company that clearly has already ripped you off?  Or does the desire for the "opportunity" to continue getting something "cheap" have more weight on buyers in these situations? 

It's amazing how the steady stream of ripped-off NY customers never seems to end...even after the numerous tales from those previously aggrieved by NY keep getting posted on MW each year....some buyers still can't seem to resist Nippon Yassan's "low prices"....

Expensive lessons learned.....or not! :acute:

1 minute ago, Arkham said:

I learned late. I posted in part to help other people avoid the same mistake.

That's my point......you did not heed the warnings that several before you had already posted...and here you are....with yet another warning that will for some inexplicable reason be ignored by the next "Arkham"...

Still worth a shot I suppose! :drinks:

On 11/16/2020 at 4:00 AM, Arkham said:

Going through the threads I saw several messages of people warning about bad experiences with Nippon Yasan, and of course being (semi) young and stupid I though: "that's never going happen to me..."

Since this is pertaining to a store, please continue the discussion in the existing NY thread under the Where to Buy section. That way, everyone's experience including the OP's experience about NY will be there under the same topic.

Click to jump: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/47618-n-y-thread-help-complain-rejoicemeh/

Thank you.

27 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Since this is pertaining to a store, please continue the discussion in the existing NY thread under the Where to Buy section. That way, everyone's experience including the OP's experience about NY will be there under the same topic.

Click to jump: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/47618-n-y-thread-help-complain-rejoicemeh/

Thank you.

Yep.....already alerted the mods.....makes sense to merge this thread with the existing one right?  The constant complaining about NY was becoming a nuisance, thus the creation of the dedicated topic....

But the mods will hopefully listen to you.....;)

• Shawn locked this topic