Your Top Ten Alien Faction Weapons from Macross, Southern Cross or Mospaeda

Podtastic

What are your top 10 favourite alien weapons from any/ all of the above series?

Additionally, what 5 new weapon systems/upgrades would you give to any/all of them to provide an edge over their pesky foes?

At any scale from infantry weapons to WMD. (Does not have to be exact/correct technical names) 

So for me it would be:

• Zor Bioroid Assault Craft Dual Mode Particle Cannons
  • Zor Bioroid small arms
  • Zor Heavy Interlacing Beam Cannon (not actual name) 
  • Zentraedi Assault Rifle
  • Zentraedi Warship mounted Heavy Particle Cannon
  • Zentraedi Superdimension Energy Cannon
  • Zentraedi Nousjadeul-ger Liquid Plasma Cannon
  • Vajra Fold Fault
  • Matter Eater munitions
  • Reaction Warheads

Upgrades:

• Micro dimension eater munitions for Zentraedi assault rifles
  • Masers for Regult secondary cannons (for pesky human infantry) 
  • Gravity Mine Layer for Scout Pods
  • Miniaturized Heavy Quantum cannons for Bioroids and homing AG mini-warheads for their skysleds
  • Fold Fault generation capability for Zor and Zentraedi Mobile Fortresses and Warships

Edited by Podtastic

1. Queadluun-Rau - speed, firepower, looks; it's the whole package

2. Ghoss/Gosu - huge, imposing, fast and highly maneuverable in flight

3. Bioroid Early Type II - a beefy, armored look that belies great speed and agility (but definitely needed better weaponry)

4. Garmo/Gamo - high-intensity beam cannons, long-distance flight capability, and a bulky, tough look

5. Humanoid spies!  Strangely enough, three unrelated mecha shows from the early '80s (with three completely different alien societies) all include the same concept of spies infiltrating the enemy military forces using cloning technology, from genetic manipulation (Seifriet's brain alteration) to micronization (Warera, Loli, Conda) to evolutionary experimentation (Aisha).  If any of these alien foes had committed fully to this course of action, they could've taken down humanity much more effectively than employing their costly (and ultimately ineffective) war machines...

...but that's probably not the direction you intended this thread to go, so I'll quit while I'm ahead.  :p

Not sure these all fit the definition, but here goes. Disclaimer: I'm only familiar with Macross and Mospeada.

1. Although piloted by humans, the Sv-51 was developed from alien Overtechnology, so it fits, sorta.

2. Zentradi Variable Glaug (Macross M3)

3. Fz-109A Elgersoln

4. While technically not alien, Grace O'Connor is a cyborg with superhuman abilities, so her VF-27

5. Brera Stern is part Meltrandi, and a cyborg, which makes him actually alien to a degree. So his VF-27 

6. Sv-262Hs Draken III

7. Zentradi Battle Pods

8. Queadluun Rau

9. Inbit Eager

10. Inbit Ghoss

11. Inbit Garmo

1. The Zentradi 425th Main Fleet's Gol Boddole Zer mobile fortress (Macross: Do You Remember Love?)
  2. Lord Feff's custom Gigamesh mobile battle suit (Macross II: Lovers Again)
  3. Milia 639's Meltrandi gunboat (Macross: Do You Remember Love?)
  4. Mardook-issue Zentradi Powered Suit (Macross II: Lovers Again)
  5. Mardook-issue Meltrandi Powered Suit (Macross II: Lovers Again)
  6. Mardook-issue Zentradi Battle Pod (Macross II: Lovers Again)
  7. Golg Gants Charts Zentradi Heavy Attacker (Macross: Do You Remember Love?)
  8. Zentradi unnamed Powered Suit (Macross Plus)
  9. Variable Glaug (Macross M3)
  10. Feios Valkyrie (Macross Digital Mission VF-X)

Couldn't come up with anything from MOSPEADA or Southern Cross.  MOSPEADA's Inbit never really "grabbed" me, which is kind of ironic given that one of their mecha is basically named "Grab".  They're alien, but not in any way that really impresses.  They're just inscrutable but they're also REALLY dumb and kind of ineffective in a fight.  Their saving grace was that humanity was dumber still, choosing to engineer its entire military around fighting them as ultra-short ranges where the Inbit's superior numbers gave them the advantage.  Southern Cross's designs were just... ugh... they managed to be rushed and lazy at the same time, and the only designs that weren't heavily derivative were jumbled garbage.  The Zor's only real mecha is a cheap and unapologetic knockoff of Mobile Suit Gundam's MS-06 Zaku II and they didn't even make an effort to hide the fact.

2 hours ago, Podtastic said:

I had to edit the topic as it seems it was not as clear as I first thought, but good choices so far. :D

TBH, your topic made way more sense before you edited it.

One of the common terms used for mecha is "mobile weapon", but unless a series has some kind of interactive media (read: "game") where you can get a proper feel for how different weapons systems on a mecha perform in combat you're not going to find many people who have an opinion about specific weapons systems.  Macross is really the only one of the three shows mentioned that has any real variety in enemy weapons, with lasers, electron particle beams, plasma, and super dimension energy weaponry supplementing missiles and the occasional kinetic weapon.  In the original MOSPEADA, it's all lasers on the Inbit side.  In Southern Cross, it's all unspecified "beam gun".  There's no variety.  It's like asking someone what their favorite socket in their socket set is (and everyone knows it's 10mm).

Incidentally:

23 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Upgrades:

• Micro dimension eater munitions for Zentraedi assault rifles

That's an energy weapon, so it can't fire hard rounds.  (It's captioned ビーム小銃  - "beam rifle" - in the line art.)

23 hours ago, Podtastic said:
  • Masers for Regult secondary cannons (for pesky human infantry) 

They already have a pair of laser antipersonnel guns for that.

The other stuff you've got involves tech that doesn't exist in the series that the mecha you're talking about is from... 

Edited by Seto Kaiba

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

One of the common terms used for mecha is "mobile weapon"

Noted and anticipated. It's fine if folks want to list it that way. Just trying something different. 

That's an energy weapon, so it can't fire hard

According to Macrosspedia "... and even beam guns can be modified with micro-dimension eater (MDE) technology to project rapid fire micro-black holes like a pulse." 

The upgrades are "use your imagination" so what currently is is not the limit.

Upgrading means changes. Another idea I have is for the rifles to have variable ammunition selection, like the marine rifles in AVP rage war. 

They already have a pair of laser antipersonnel guns for that.

It's an attempt to give them "flamers" or more specifically the "heat ray" from WOTW since they are a little reminiscent of Fighting Machines. Just giving them flamethrower seems too low tech. 

The other stuff you've got involves tech that doesn't exist in the series that the mecha you're talking about is from... 

Well AG tech does exist in both Southern Cross and Macross, and Fold Faults certainly exist in Macross as the Vajra Queen could apparently create them.

But anyway it's "use your imagination" so any tech that exists, or even tech that  could reasonably be developed, in any of the series can be used to upgrade weapon systems in any or all of them. 

Edited by Podtastic

11 hours ago, Podtastic said:

According to Macrosspedia "... and even beam guns can be modified with micro-dimension eater (MDE) technology to project rapid fire micro-black holes like a pulse." 

The definition's painting with too broad a brush there.  Only super dimension energy weapons can be upgraded to MDE specification... not conventional particle beam guns.

The Zentradi infantry-issue beam rifle is an electron particle beam gun not dissimilar to the main armament of the Regult battle pod.

11 hours ago, Podtastic said:

It's an attempt to give them "flamers" or more specifically the "heat ray" from WOTW 

That was a laser.  Specifically referenced as an infrared laser in the remake, but really any laser could do the same thing.

6 hours ago, Big s said:

I don’t know many of the individual names of weapons so to be honest, anything that makes a cool 80’s style circle shaped explosion. Those new Macross shows don’t do enough circle boom

Pretty much everything did that back then.  They loved that effect.  The ones that really lingered in Macross were thermonuclear reaction warhead detonations, which produced a plasma fireball hundreds of meters across.

3 hours ago, Podtastic said:

There are no Marduk or Vajra in Robotech. 

Should Remix come back, something Evil might make an official debut or something painfully and obviously derivative of both of those things.  The unfortunate price for looking for new ideas in places where the powers that be really should not.  :lol:

Edited by Einherjar

On 9/28/2020 at 2:01 AM, Bolt said:

Might as well throw in Ishtar's song;)

Ishtar sang? I never noticed.

In fairness, I last saw Mac2 as a teen. With the way she was dressed, I likely wouldn't have noticed a herd of pink elephants.

(Seriously, the ONLY clear memories I have of the show are ishtar in her emulator getup)

Edited by JB0

2 hours ago, Einherjar said:

Should Remix come back, something Evil might make an official debut or something painfully and obviously derivative of both of those things.  The unfortunate price for looking for new ideas in places where the powers that be really should not.  :lol:

Too late, they already did... the Robotech Masters chucked the Southern Cross designs completely for something that looks like the Great Value version of Mardook or DYRL Zentradi gear.

39 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Ishtar sang? I never noticed.

In fairness, I last saw Mac2 as a teen. With the way she was dressed, I likely wouldn't have noticed a herd of pink elephants.

(Seriously, the ONLY clear memories I have of the show are ishtar in her emulator getup)

The thirst is real.  :lol: 

image.thumb.png.d88a46251bf4fd3da64ef4b685d33320.png

You can't deny, that was a weapons-grade outfit... the Mardook probably had a high incidence of neck-strain injuries from heads turning all the time.