Forum Upgrade 2020-09-23

Shawn

I believe if you add the params 'new comment' to the end of a thread, it will take you to the last one that your account had read (not sure if it uses a local cookie on your decive, or if it stores it within your user profile in the db)....I think

For example to see the last comment in the huge 1/48 thread
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/45206-bandai-dx-chogokin-148-vf-1/?do=getNewComment

Something like that?

The site is absolutely unusable on IE now.  Worked fine before.  (had to switch to my phone to say so!)

On safari, "alignment of elements" seems off.  Like there's a big white dot to the right of everyone's avatar that covers some words.  

And whatever the "white shield on a small blue dot" icon is, seems to randomly appear in the background of posts.  ::edit::  Right now, it appears right above the word "safari" in my post.  At least, when viewing site on phone in Safari.  

24 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

The site is absolutely unusable on IE now.  Worked fine before.  (had to switch to my phone to say so!)

On safari, "alignment of elements" seems off.  Like there's a big white dot to the right of everyone's avatar that covers some words.  

Ditto on both points above..

Not a fault per se:

(Activity > Unread Content)  Is it possible to enlarge the (relatively) small circle to the left of the topic title that takes us to the first unread post?  Perhaps changing to a rectangular shape (if possible) will improve things?

(using the Default_IPV theme on Firefox on desktop Win10.  Circles are same [small] size in the Carbon theme.)

Also, the Edit Post function is... hidden under the hamburger icon.  Is it possible to restore that to a more visible location?  (E.g.: next to "Quote" at the bottom of the post).

Edited by sketchley

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

I believe if you add the params 'new comment' to the end of a thread, it will take you to the last one that your account had read (not sure if it uses a local cookie on your decive, or if it stores it within your user profile in the db)....I think

For example to see the last comment in the huge 1/48 thread
http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/45206-bandai-dx-chogokin-148-vf-1/?do=getNewComment

Something like that?

Not so user friendly as the previous version, where clicking on a topic would just take you to the first unread post if the stream was setup property

At the top there is a little switch icon-could you click that and choose the 'light' option...could try that and see if the CSS issues remain?

image.thumb.png.129b8484b6866c6bf14e91053e285ac2.png

When you say IE, you mean Internet Explorer or Edge?
I'm using the latest CARBON skin from here:

https://www.ipsfocus.com/themes/carbon/

If you click the DEMO button are the issues the same there as here?

to switch back to dark theme go to the bottom under theme

image.thumb.png.e06ab19342eafaeac3d9e77d2ca82678.png

There are a lot of new settings in their 4.5.x release that I've not looked deep into yet

https://invisioncommunity.com/release-notes/

we are on 4.5.3 right now

There is a mobile app under beta release, but I need to add the site to their 'list' first

Regarding first unread-I see the forum does put an 'unread posts' marker where I leave off, so I assumed that is what the new comments param did-guess not

image.thumb.png.478c6caeb5b297a118848a126e7c1c37.png

But the way it worked before, if I clicked on any topic, it would take me straight to the first unread post. Now it takes me to the first post of that topic. Using the "Unread Content" stream shows all unread post from all topics, from newest to first, but doesn't group them by Topic.

I tried the clear mode, but there's an issue with the location of the user's avatar. I'm using my phone ton navigate the site, btw

IMG_20200924_175217.thumb.jpg.348564d51a266a3e7a40c7b87a565217.jpg

Edited by Convectuoso

So, I don't know if this is just a weird syntax thing, but when viewing posts that hide images, instead of showing something like "Show Content" it does this:

630902703_ss(2020-09-25at03_21.24).thumb.png.ebe53dbc0eb1727cb8e8601cf9d13331.png

629108310_ss(2020-09-25at03_21.35).thumb.jpg.7fd4cc22fa8ecafe6e884f97279208b3.jpg

I figure it's just a raw "true/false" tag on whether to show it, but it just looked awkward when I first saw it.  I haven't looked at any spoiler tags to see if it does a similar thing with those.

It appears to be when you are quoting someone who posted pictures, I think.

Remember how before, if you posted 5 pictures in an original thread, then someone quoted it, you'd have to scoll past the 5 pictures again, and everytime someone quoted.
Looks like they condense the long pic thread into a smaller window with the 'true'...which is probably just missing a label called 'expand' or something

Let me know if you think this is an accurate assessment

image.thumb.png.a3ece2d66ba13ba4e495d67ebe7630d7.png

Oh, it definitely is useful for that, it's condensing down larger quotes, which is a great feature.  I just don't know if there's somewhere to edit that "true" tag, and thought it was amusing.

Really nothing needs to be changed, since it functions just fine, but yes, it's probably a missing label somewhere.

I think it is doing that for any long post.

Perhaps "true" = view the full post.

Thanks for switching the link takes to "last post viewed" thing.  New software version can be a major pain.  On the other hand, as I only use the white version (old man eyes, light on black leaves "sunspots"), I really appreciate that the new version has added a bunch of colours to highlight things.

14 hours ago, EastwindS2k said:

Hi Shawn,

My question is why the newly attached pictures are smaller than before? Is it because of the upgrade and is it going to be this way?

It's a thumbnail'd pic. Click on the pic to see the larger pic.

• 1 month later...

So, just noticing this now.  But the old BB codes don't seem to working anymore.

Tried to input spoilers using the [spoiler] text [/spoiler] code, but doesn't work anymore.

Not a problem when working on a PC or laptop (since the spoiler button is up there in the menu).

But sucks when accessing the mobile version using a cell phone (since that option or button isn't there).

• 3 weeks later...

@Shawn Thank you very much for the upgrades and everyday maintenance!!! I'm just getting used to some of the new bells and whistles, but the newer format is great. The threads look better without people re-posting the same text and photos over and over which was taking up lots of space. Thanks again! - MT