RIP, Diana Rigg

Sildani

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

A toast to the best Avenger, one of the top three Bond Girls, and the sharp-tongued Olenna Tyrell...

As a fan of pulp sci-fi films, the names "Tyrell" and "Avengers" have very different connotations for me.  :unsure:

Although I've never seen her in anything that I'm aware of, I am aware that her role as Mrs. peel set a precedent for women going forward in tv and movies. More than just a pretty face, she was smart and capable in an action role that set the stage for characters like Agent Dana Scully of the X-Files. I'm sure there are better examples, but Scully's the closest to home. I don't watch GoT so I can't comment on her later work, although she was doubtlessly well spoken and elegant in whatever role she inhabited.  Regardless, she's yet another sad loss to the world of entertainment,  as well as her friends and family.  RIP 

My first memory of Diana Rigg is many moons ago watching Masterpiece Mystery as a young lad. She was the host and would introduce each programme for the local PBS network in the 1980s. Later on, I watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service (which continues to be one of my favorite Bond films to this day) and I guess that's when I became a fan. I've seen her play in The Avengers, Bleak House, and even Doctor Who.

Condolences to her family and friends.