The Return of Robotech Remix

Old_Nash

I purchased some Humble Bundle Comics and when I realized it was from *that* publisher, I thought 'eeewwww'. But some of their comics are good titles, specifically the ones from European artists/writers. Several are on my wish list, but so far down it's unlikely I buy them unless my income goes up considerably.

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

Yay! More comedy goldmines!

Though this article seems to think that people enjoy this as something other than unintentional parody. Which is odd, since it is terrible.

While reading I was wondering if it was paid for. They seem to have a lot of RT-related articles. Or if not maybe they're friends with someone related to the comic? That would also make sense.

17 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

Old news, mind you... and let's just say given what usually happens to Robotech titles that go "on hiatus" I wouldn't take it as granted that they'll actually resume publication.  Normally "on hiatus" is Robotech code for "we cancelled it but don't want to admit we cancelled it yet because some people still care and it'll look bad".  

It's also worth noting their excuse for why it went on hiatus is a really blatant, easily fact-checkable lie.  Remix #5 was already two months late and counting before the industry started halting operations due to lockdowns and before Brenden Fletcher got sick with what he presumes was COVID.  Whatever delayed it, it wasn't the pandemic.

10 hours ago, hachi said:

While reading I was wondering if it was paid for. They seem to have a lot of RT-related articles. Or if not maybe they're friends with someone related to the comic? That would also make sense.

One of the writers is an old fan.  It's the only way HG can get anyone to cover their mostly burned-out dumpster fire of a franchise (short of releasing blatantly false "news").

That article was hilarious, as if Robotech still had a fandom, let along one that is disappointed with the disappearance of a crap comic.  Let's face it, I think we're the only ones reading it for the comedy value, and few, if any, of us are paying for it.  

13 hours ago, Einherjar said:

It was the most oblivious Macross 7 fan-fic that someone could ever think of doing.  The only difference was no cute alien pet, no rock band and no guitar controlled vehicle.

Cute alien pet: Check

RCO021_1576139879.jpg.0134c0cd9a0e1215d6190100a732657a.jpg

Almost rock band: Check

RCO016_1576139879.jpg.93f05a734f572dd1bee3cf6eb58c4423.jpg

Guitar controled vehicle: On processing XD

Lol, I wonder if they're sticking with the little bit of kanji in the corner, リミックス!!!

So lame, did they think that would give them some sort of credibility as a Japanese manga or something?  

Not that it really matters, but I doubt there is a single strand of DNA working for HG producing RT.  If there is, their ancestors would be rolling over in their graves.

If anything, it should be 리믹스, lol!

3 hours ago, Einherjar said:

Is that Basara in the last panel!?

Nope, a New Guy named Cameron Baker.

But having a huge appearance with Basara, and play guitar.

(Ok not.much XD)

Edited by Old_Nash

24 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

You have a point; we just need the Macross Quarter to swoop in and put this thing out of our misery.

nah, sic the Protodeviln on them.

Ok so not to defend anything Robotech in any way, but...that cute alien pet is totally a thing in Southern Cross and Bowie Emerson was a musician. So those two things are straight from the source material.

Those glasses are definitely a Basara ripoff though! Or homage if you're being charitable.

1 hour ago, danth said:

Those glasses are definitely a Basara ripoff though! Or homage if you're being charitable.

Not just his glasses.  Take out a strategically placed speech bubble and that character is also wielding Basara’s guitar.  Just dye his hair black and his dialogue might as well be about singing the hell out of a mountain!

Edited by Einherjar

On 9/2/2020 at 11:58 AM, Einherjar said:

That thing you and Titan Comics call a pet isn’t cute.  But damn, it really was Robotech fans’ biggest nightmare becoming a reality.

Nah, those were in the original Southern Cross... Robotech II: the Sentinels called them "pollinators", implying they were somehow connected to the magic flowers everything revolves around in Robotech.  They were cat-sized in the original Southern Cross and Sentinels shrank them down to around the size in this comic.

On 9/2/2020 at 8:13 PM, Old_Nash said:

Nope, a New Guy named Cameron Baker.

Given how devoted Robotech is to the One Steve Limit, he's probably "new" with sarcastic airquote emphasis.

Since Remix is dropping a lot of references to Robotech II: the Sentinels, this guy's probably either this timeline's version of Robotech II's incredibly derivative B-cast protagonist Jack Baker or a previously-unmentioned sibling of same like Robotech II's Vince Grant was to Robotech's version of Claudia La Salle.

5 hours ago, Einherjar said:

Not just his glasses.  Take out a strategically placed speech bubble and that character is also wielding Basara’s guitar.  Just dye his hair black and his dialogue might as well be about singing the hell out of a mountain!

Nah, that kid's guitar looks to be a fairly standard Gibson Flying V.

Basara's everyday-use electric guitar looks to have been based on a Jackson Soloist, while the one in the Fire Valkyrie's cockpit appears to have been based on a Jackson Rhoads.