RIP Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther)

2020: the gift that keeps on kicking you in the bean bag.

Cancer is the worst.  A few years back my aunt was feeling run down in early November.  After initially treating her for stress & dehydration, by Thanksgiving they figured out she had liver cancer.  By Christmas she was bedridden, and she died that March.  Can't believe that it's taken Black Panther from me, too.

Likewise... a bit shocking. He was six years my junior, far too young  to deal with such illness, and certainly to succumb to it.  Seeing the shape he was in as T'Challa, one would never suspect he was battling cancer; just incredible endurance and will.  Terribly sad loss. RIP, good sir.

Chadwick's colon cancer death reminded me of my colonoscopy last year, I was 45 at the time. Had it done after a mild colitis episode that put me in the emergency room. The doctors recommended a colonoscopy and I had one a month later and thankfully nothing was found, not even a single polyp. The whole thing did motivate me to change my eating habits and though its a year later I'm back in the gym losing weight too.

If you're over 40 and/or at risk of colon cancer I highly suggest getting a colonoscopy done sooner than later. It can save your life.

dammit that is just horrible news - screw 2020 - RIP 

As Tangled thorns notes get a colonoscopy sooner rather than later it is not that bad.

Wish I had gotten mine early - was slated to get my 1st at 50 but got sick at 47 - but still I got "lucky" and only stage II and still sucking air after surgery and chemo....

I'll be honest:  I originally remember Killmonger's final speeches more, leaving the theater. 

But upon watching the ending scenes of Black Panther again, I found this final speech from Boseman to still be very relevant today:

And on a different note, raisins have no place in savory dishes! :lol:

On 8/29/2020 at 9:01 AM, Petrov27 said:

dammit that is just horrible news - screw 2020 - RIP 

As Tangled thorns notes get a colonoscopy sooner rather than later it is not that bad.

Wish I had gotten mine early - was slated to get my 1st at 50 but got sick at 47 - but still I got "lucky" and only stage II and still sucking air after surgery and chemo....

Glad you're still with us.  Wise words for those of us who haven't been checked, including myself.

21 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

118581076_1082936338787546_7706621653396410266_o.jpg

This is exactly why this hits me so hard. 

For little kids in my community Black Panther was THE hero because he was relatable and representative. Sure you have Blade and Jon Stewart's Green Lantern and a few others, but none have achieved pop culture status like Marvel's Black Panther.

Even people I know that could care absolutely less about comic book movies, action adventure or science fiction in general gravitated towards Black Panther. I almost got disowned by some family members for arguing that the Winter Soldier was a better comic book movie (I mean, it is) but for them BP was the first major movie that showed us as more than what you normally see on TV or the big screen.

I know that the character will continue, for a number of reasons least of all being the box office draw (movie making is a business after all) but given everything happening THIS year Chadwick's loss has a particular sting.

I hope that as a person and movie hero he has a long lasting, positive legacy. 

-b.

3 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Why does this have a lock date?

It's a moderator general policy. All RIP threads have lock dates because... well, I'm sure the mods can explain their reasoning better, but I imagine it's to reduce clutter on the front pages. RIP threads don't generally attract too much discussion beyond condolences and such for the first few days after the person's passing.

That said... I reiterate my previous comment: Sigh.

I think the mods do this with most RIP threads.  They give them about a week before they close them down.

Just standard policy.  Nothing more.

Personally, I really hope they don’t recast T’Challa and have an existing character take up the Black Panther mantle instead.

EDIT:  @kajnrig beat me to the punch.

Edited by Mog

3 minutes ago, Mog said:

Personally, I really hope they don’t recast T’Challa and have an existing character take up the Black Panther mantle instead.

The rumor mill had actually already been floating the idea that Shuri would be taking on the role herself in the next movie, though whether there was anything more than conjecture to it remains to be seen (and I have no idea whether that was ever shown in the comics).

Still, it's heartbreaking to hear the details of his illness, and how long he had been fighting behind the scenes.  :(