Hasegawa SDF-1 build

Photogirl

Starting this tonight.
I have the photo etch on its way. 
I built the attack mode already, but would like to do this up and really get into it.

Anyone have tips/ tricks/ resources to help maximize the build?

118122734_2649620335297491_6249230440318597046_o.jpg

1 hour ago, peter said:

I build the DYRL version a few weeks ago, but I don't know what I'm doing so not a whole lot of insight or tips, sorry.

I have the DYRL version on it's way too. 
I'll probably end up with all 4 versions of the SDF1 by years end at this rate.

I'm pausing the build for a bit.
I decided to get another attack mode kit to use the right booms.
I'm going to see if i can mold and copy the needed parts, and kitbash it without taking away from the 2nd attack mode kit
Also, apparently my photo etch parts were sent regular mail, so i'll see those by Xmas maybe. ......

Are there any scalable decals sets out there that can be used for added non descript details?

Honestly, save yourself the hassle and get this (or the Imai 1/5000 kit for twice as much - same kit):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-Robotech-SDF1-Space-Fortress-Model-1-5000-Scale-Sealed-1985-Made-in-Japan/283985370506?hash=item421ed8dd8a:g:sgwAAOSwwgRfPtuS

This is STILL the best cruiser mode kit PERIOD hands down. Even the Daedalus and Prometheus are accurate on it. Yeah, it's expensive, but you don't need anything else and you can find them cheaper if you keep your eyes open. It's sad how badly Hasegawa messed up the TV version. - MT

4 hours ago, MechTech said:

Honestly, save yourself the hassle and get this (or the Imai 1/5000 kit for twice as much - same kit):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-Robotech-SDF1-Space-Fortress-Model-1-5000-Scale-Sealed-1985-Made-in-Japan/283985370506?hash=item421ed8dd8a:g:sgwAAOSwwgRfPtuS

This is STILL the best cruiser mode kit PERIOD hands down. Even the Daedalus and Prometheus are accurate on it. Yeah, it's expensive, but you don't need anything else and you can find them cheaper if you keep your eyes open. It's sad how badly Hasegawa messed up the TV version. - MT

If you're lucky they'll be two in one box. I bought one in middle school but there was only one, but there was another kid though who bought a kit and there were two in it! I was jealous, I'm not afraid to say.

Then about a year or so ago, I bought one off of eBay and, YES, there were two in it! Missing a few parts, but I still have the remnants of my first kit, so win!

Figure when I (ever) get to building the Hase movie version having those old kits will come in handy for references!

On 8/25/2020 at 3:30 PM, MechTech said:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1064034984&ref=list&dispCount=240&dispAdult=0&soldOut=1&keyword=マクロス 1%2F5000&lang=en

If you're willing to hunt one down, they're not that pricey [shipping/current related hassles not withstanding]:D

but if there really are two kits in a Revell box... that's maybe a bet worth taking

Edited by slide

On 8/25/2020 at 4:30 PM, MechTech said:

Tempted to find one sometime when I have money and see if i can make it transform...

On 8/26/2020 at 11:55 PM, slide said:

but if there really are two kits in a Revell box... that's maybe a bet worth taking

That's something I heard once as a kid (some thirty plus years ago now) and then just 'recently' happened to me. Maybe a little rare.;)

Edited by Thom

44 minutes ago, arbit said:

Anyone know the correct mix for the TV SDF-1's blue and white with Tamiya paints? 

I do not, however, i discovered that Martha Stewart brand spray paint in French Riviera gloss is an almost perfect match 

So, i switched builds until i get the attack mode, and the photo etch to build the cartoon version, but i was thinking what it would take to open out the clear parts and build the city inside the DYRL ship like you see in the intro.
I don't have access to a 3D printer, so i'll need to do it scratch.

Has anyone done this before at this scale?

118471863_2656761651250026_3194097350780420825_o.jpg

Might be easier to print off an image and do a forced-perspective scene in a box behind the 'windows', as it would only be viewable through them.  Plus you could put an led behind the box for lighting.

Edited by Chas

Chas has a great idea! There's been a few. Try not to get overwhelmed by this person:

https://dorobou.blog.ss-blog.jp/archive/c2305690677-1

It's not the same model kit, but he's got GREAT work and ideas:

I hope that helps you out. - MT

Edited by MechTech

That looks cool! Especially when you think that those holes to see through aren't exactly very big. Your current light looks more realistic, like mercury vapor lights (all those orange lights you see when flying over cities). - MT

2 hours ago, Photogirl said:

the panel isn't going to come off like in other builds, i just wanted something you could see through the windows. I'm going to look for a cooler light ( blueish) not that happy with the glowing orange.

118723291_2658450364414488_3062617588052438927_o.jpg

That looks wonderful so far!

Congrats on pulling that off!

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Gonna look shiny!

I gotta say, I wish they would just sell the ARMD carriers all on their own. I'd buy a couple double-packs of those!

Same. THere are prints on Shapeways, but i have no idea how they would scale. 
I'd love to get a series accurate ARMD set to go with the Daedalus and Prometheus. 

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Gonna look shiny!

I gotta say, I wish they would just sell the ARMD carriers all on their own. I'd buy a couple double-packs of those!

5 hours ago, Photogirl said:

Same. THere are prints on Shapeways, but i have no idea how they would scale. 
I'd love to get a series accurate ARMD set to go with the Daedalus and Prometheus. 

If they could throw-in an Oberth class, I'd buy a couple too.

Maybe some later UN Spacy or NUNS designs like the Guantanamo, North-Hampton, and Uraga... heck, I'll even take Frontier-era versions with the VF-25-head-looking turrets

Maybe if Hasegawa's Cordoba sells well, maybe there's hope?

51 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

Todays progress

118770182_2661101394149385_7265335645056445199_o.jpg

Very nice!

Is the PE as tedious as it looks?

2 hours ago, slide said:

Very nice!

Is the PE as tedious as it looks?

Not horrible.
The bendy foldy bits are a nerve killer. even touching them they fell apart. i'm sure when its painted, you'll see some glue goop i had to put in to hold them together. 
I invested in a new, better hobby light. a magnifying ring lamp with daylight bulbs thats been making things possible.

ITS FUN THOUGH. 
I love building things. 
I've pretty much put 3 other car kits on the back burner.

I had a $25 Ebay gift for 25 years of membership, so i got another Etch kit for my TV series kit.
Now I don't have to mix and match, and I can detail them BOTH up. 

118845501_2661245300801661_4261711903163388450_n.jpg