HBO lovecraft Country

Bolt

Zero interest in finding out if the book is any better....I really doubt it

As I said, the Lovecraftian tropes were tossed at the start of the show but mostly were forgotten by the end...the show just gave up on trying to blend the 2 genres into something really interesting....by the conclusion of the story, they literally could have just replaced the black actors with white actors and it would of had zero effect on how the story ended up.....and the Korean lady/monster....what a waste....she literally was just created to have a way to resolve how to destroy the bad white lady at the end other than that she served no other purpose....this series had a high production look to it, no doubt, but it was just trash behind the sparkle

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

As I said, the Lovecraftian tropes were tossed at the start of the show but mostly were forgotten by the end...the show just gave up on trying to blend the 2 genres into something really interesting....by the conclusion of the story, they literally could have just replaced the black actors with white actors and it would of had zero effect on how the story ended up.....and the Korean lady/monster....what a waste....she literally was just created to have a way to resolve how to destroy the bad white lady at the end other than that she served no other purpose....this series had a high production look to it, no doubt, but it was just trash behind the sparkle

Wow. I don't think B was inviting you to read Matt Ruff's novel. I gather from your response that you don't even know who Matt Ruff is, which is fine. The way I see it, B was just pointing you in the direction of the story's origin. Coming into it thinking that you are going to get a modern take on traditional Lovecraftian sci-fi horror with nods to stories like At the Mountains of Madness, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, or The Shadow Out of Time is setting yourself up for disappointment. This isn't the story for you, if that's what you thought you were getting going in.

Matt Ruff instead took the good and the bad from H.P. Lovecraft's library and made his own tale where he flipped the traditional tropes on end and changed the race of the main characters. It's a pretty cool idea, to be honest. Misha Green takes the work that Ruff did further though by adding authenticity to it since Green is able to speak directly to the experiences of prejudice and racism that Ruff was writing about in his book.

It's cool if you are not into the story enough to want to read the book. Not every story reaches everyone in the audience. That's the way it goes.

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

16 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Wow. I don't think B was inviting you to read Matt Ruff's novel. I gather from your response that you don't even know who Matt Ruff is, which is fine. The way I see it, B was just pointing you in the direction of the story's origin. Coming into it thinking that you are going to get a modern take on traditional Lovecraftian sci-fi horror with nods to stories like At the Mountains of Madness, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, or The Shadow Out of Time is setting yourself up for disappointment. This isn't the story for you, if that's what you thought you were getting going in.

Matt Ruff instead took the good and the bad from H.P. Lovecraft's library and made his own tale where he flipped the traditional tropes on end and changed the race of the main characters. It's a pretty cool idea, to be honest. Misha Green takes the work that Ruff did further though by adding authenticity to it since Green is able to speak directly to the experiences of prejudice and racism that Ruff was writing about in his book.

It's cool if you are not into the story enough to want to read the book. Not every story reaches everyone in the audience. That's the way it goes.

Correct @technoblue, and thank you. I posted the link to the wiki only to illustrate that the show was never intended to be a show that was meant to be adaptations of HP Lovecraft.

I totally get why it wouldn't be for everyone but it definitely spoke to me and my own personal experiences.

Even with some un-evenness episode to episode I still maintain that the show was outstanding and took risks and moved the genre in a direction we don't often see. Very much made possible by the success that Jordan Peele has had at the box office.

Here's an article on the series that I think captures the spirit of the show, AND, how it can improve in (hopefully) future seasons;

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/08/lovecraft-country/615259/

-b.

I do not go and research everything I decide to watch on TV....my only lure into the show was the mention of "Lovecraft" in the title which on that sole basis would indicate some connection to the stories.....sadly it did not deliver on that front....not even a little....if it was never meant to be that type of show, so be it....it was still lacking....as I said before, it could have been alot better if they had managed to fully integrate both themes to the end....but it failed to do so...

15 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I do not go and research everything I decide to watch on TV....my only lure into the show was the mention of "Lovecraft" in the title which on that sole basis would indicate some connection to the stories.....sadly it did not deliver on that front....not even a little....if it was never meant to be that type of show, so be it....it was still lacking....as I said before, it could have been alot better if they had managed to fully integrate both themes to the end....but it failed to do so...

All good!

For those that enjoyed the show it's got an audience so I'm hopeful for Season 2 and improvement by way of consistency from episode to episode (especially editing). 

-b.

• 6 months later...