Calibre Wings 1/72 Prometheus Elevator Diorama Display Set

sh9000

4 minutes ago, sumyumgoy said:

I've never pre-ordered anything by Calibre Wings, is it usually better through The Flying Mule?

In terms of price the Mac Z F-14 shipped came out cheaper than ordering directly from Calibre Wings because there was a coupon.  I hope there is another one I can use at The Flying Mule for the Elevator Diorama Display Set.

5 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

In terms of price the Mac Z F-14 shipped came out cheaper than ordering directly from Calibre Wings because there was a coupon.  I hope there is another one I can use at The Flying Mule for the Elevator Diorama Display Set.

Oh ok, that definitely is a great option.  Thanks for your help!

i like it but why did they chanfe the back panel to have 2 panels and the dumb gate 023 marking?  hopefully those are optional stiickers?  or will they release a less dumbly deco'd version later.  lol.  no place for this but i want it assuming it comes with differetn plates for the bakc more similar to early photos and with no gate 23 marking.

Edited by Mechapilot77

9 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Ok question here - is there any advantage to preordering this directly from Calibre versus BigBadToy? Same price. The only thing I can think of is that I would receive it quicker from Calibre but shipping would be more expensive.

the condition of the item box seems to be of concern for some . 

When you order from Calibre directly , it gets shipped directly to you,  1 item /shipping box over internationally and a few have got their packaging pretty banned up.

(higher chance of getting a beat up box)

When you order from BBTS or from another domestic store.   Their Calibre items will get bulk ship internationally to the store. then sort it out and repack for shipping.

(higher chance of getting a good condition box)

16 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

So currently is it only up on BBTS? I can't find it on the Caliber Wings site or Flying Mule.

Same.  I just preordered it so that I won't forget later. It's easy enough to cancel an order on BBTS if it pops up on Flying Mule which may be a better option with a preorder discount.

Trying to figure out how the motor works. I think this is the same set-up as @MechTech used in his Daedalus Scratch Build. The motor is inside the deck (under the plane), and actuates two gears which crawl up and down the rail tracks on the sides of the lift. But I can't see how the motor is getting power. 

Edited by arbit

4 minutes ago, arbit said:

Trying to figure out how the motor works. I think this is the same set-up as @MechTech used in his Daedalus Scratch Build. The motor is inside the deck (under the plane), and actuates two gears which crawl up and down the rail tracks on the sides of the lift. But I can't see how the motor is getting power. 

In the video it shows that batteries go into the deck from the bottom. The back houses batteries for the lights. 

28 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

In the video it shows that batteries go into the deck from the bottom. The back houses batteries for the lights. 

Oh, thanks,  I didn't notice that. I just saw the batteries in the back.

But regarding the functionality, notice how when the deck is weighted with a plane, it tilts forward as it goes up and down.  I thought a professional design could avoid this drawback, which I first noticed when I researched this gear a couple years ago.  Either the plane is nose heavy, or the tracks should be more centered on the deck to balance the weight. They may have been forced to mount the tracks and gears off center as a trade off, due to the form of the design and where the gears will fit. Or they might have tried to center the gears track, and it didn't work out.

I wonder how much weight it can lift? I assume no more than 100-200 grams. Their 1/72 plastic model probably weighs less than 75g.

Edited by arbit

3 minutes ago, arbit said:

Oh, thanks,  I didn't notice that. I just saw the batteries in the back.

But regarding the functionality, notice how when the deck is weighted with a plane, it tilts forward as it goes up and down.  I thought a professional design could avoid this drawback, which I first noticed when I researched this gear a couple years ago.  Either the plane is nose heavy, or the tracks should be more centered on the deck to balance the weight. They may have been forced to mount the tracks and gears off center as a trade off, due to the form of the design and where the gears will fit. Or they might have tried to center the gears track, and it didn't work out.

I wonder how much weight it can lift? I assume no more than 100-200 grams. Their 1/72 plastic model probably weighs less than 75g.

These are die cast models that weigh 500 grams....

They did mention they were going to adjust the gears so that everything is flush. Maybe that will help make it more solid. It did look like it was struggling with the model on it compared to without but not sure how they would fix that. Balance and pressure would be different with every different model or toy used on it. 

As for the stands, it’s great that they are listening to feedback and making improvements. If they make more adapters, it’s good timing to swoop in on the missing Yetistands for now. Only thing is I still don’t like the Flightpose design and non clear stands in general. 

On 9/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, F360 said:

the condition of the item box seems to be of concern for some . 

When you order from Calibre directly , it gets shipped directly to you,  1 item /shipping box over internationally and a few have got their packaging pretty banned up.

(higher chance of getting a beat up box)

When you order from BBTS or from another domestic store.   Their Calibre items will get bulk ship internationally to the store. then sort it out and repack for shipping.

(higher chance of getting a good condition box)

Thanks. Plus overall, BBTS is the same price with like $4 flat shipping. Calibre would have international shipping causing the cost to actually be more than BBTS.

20 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

They did mention they were going to adjust the gears so that everything is flush. Maybe that will help make it more solid. It did look like it was struggling with the model on it compared to without but not sure how they would fix that. Balance and pressure would be different with every different model or toy used on it. 

500 grams is a lot for a hobby motor to lift. I don't collect die-cast, so I'm not worried about it needing to lift heavy weights. But it will be good to know its limits.

5 minutes ago, arbit said:

500 grams is a lot for a hobby motor to lift. I don't collect die-cast, so I'm not worried about it needing to lift heavy weights. But it will be good to know its limits.

Well the good thing is it can lift a full diecast model as it was designed for so anything else will probably weigh less or not even fit on it. 

10 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Well the good thing is it can lift a full diecast model as it was designed for so anything else will probably weigh less or not even fit on it. 

Of course I collect 1/60 valks, but I assume this is not made for them. 

1 minute ago, arbit said:

Of course I collect 1/60 valks, but I assume this is not made for them. 

1/60 VF-1s are about the same size as 1/72 F-14s and they did mention that it does work with them. Someone shared a post about it if you look back. Anyone who thinks they made this without the idea that people would be using their 1/60 VF-1s on it is kidding themselves.

I imagine the prototype's tolerances are a bit looser overall. Hopefully the rails are a bit tighter on the production model (which would help with the tilting). Really though, the rails seem a bit narrow compared to the length of the platform.

4 minutes ago, arbit said:

Yes, but I wonder if the larger 1/60s like the VF-0 will fit.

Is that a 1/60 or 1/72 die-cast they have loaded on it?

Even if the elevator would be able to carry the weight, the VF-0 would be too large to fit on the elevtor deck, as with most other "1/60" VF's, other than the VF-1

4 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I posted on that in the last page:

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

1/60 VF-1s are about the same size as 1/72 F-14s and they did mention that it does work with them. Someone shared a post about it if you look back. Anyone who thinks they made this without the idea that people would be using their 1/60 VF-1s on it is kidding themselves.

4 hours ago, arbit said:

Yes, but I wonder if the larger 1/60s like the VF-0 will fit.

Is that a 1/60 or 1/72 die-cast they have loaded on it?

I literally already answered this. There are only two pages in this thread. Go back. One page. Look.

21 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

The 1/60 VF-0 can fit.  Just transform it to Battroid mode and have it sit on the elevator.

Now that I want to see.  I'm imagining a 1/48 Battroid sitting cross-legged on the edge :lol:

Edited by arbit

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2020 at 11:16 AM, DYRL VF-1S said:

Ok question here - is there any advantage to preordering this directly from Calibre versus BigBadToy? Same price. The only thing I can think of is that I would receive it quicker from Calibre but shipping would be more expensive.

If your order from BBTS and have any issues you can deal with them.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

If your order from BBTS and have any issues you can deal with them.

Agreed. And based on the shiz show that happened on the board between the owner and others (pages long aired out on the board) I’m more comfortable dealing with BBTS even if I get it later. So I preordered from them. I’m sure it will be a great product but producing a great product doesn’t equal great customer service. I trust BBTS.