What can we expect from a new Macross Series?

akt_m

Do you guys think Kawamori will do a new Macross completely different from anything before?

Or do you guys think Kawamori will go after where the money is right now and make a much more profitable Macross?

Wouldn't be bad if he made an spin-off Isekai Macross series. It could be on the universe but the story would not be part of the canon.

Or even a more Idol focused Macross, I'm sure he could copy the formula of pure idol animes with nothing but cute girls doing stuff. He could hire Yuhei Murota to design the characters so it will bring even more people on the boat.

40 minutes ago, akt_m said:

Wouldn't be bad if he made an spin-off Isekai Macross series.

No, it's a terrible idea and I know because I'm writin a +1000 pages Fanfic about that.

I think the Zentradi as a threat should return to the spotlight... a very big fleet of old-school Zentradis and a full war between those massive fleets and the best the humanity has now... and that wold make me happy.

Edited by Gerli

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Kawamori hates retreading old ground.

Except it can be argued he did exactly that with Delta, both by its aping Frontier and by its focus on idol groups a la AKB0048.

That's not to say that's a bad thing. So long as he's tweaking old ideas for new projects, I wouldn't mind him taking another stab at the original premise for Delta, ie competing idol+flight demo groups.

We went from single female singers to male singer w band, AI female singer, folk (after re-listening its more operatic, i must have been influenced by the storyline...) female singers, double lead female singers to girl band.

So i suppose we need a boy band lead next? And a female lead piloting the latest VF-3x (vf-14ish valk lookalike)! And a female antagonist??

Add a sprinkling of valks and the macross soup is served.

Hows that sound?:lol:

Edited by seti88

Commercially K-POP boy/girl bands seem to be bringing in the moolah. :rolleyes:
If thats the price i have to pay for more valks, then so be it!

Although i wouldnt mind if kawamori went Foo Fighters/Metallica. :lol:

Spoiler

sorry i cant find any macross k-pop mashups well cos i dont know much abt k-pop boy bands...these are the two i was exposed to...i can see why they would suit macross more than metallica. :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Edited by seti88

Hmm. weird. This discussion made me revisit zero again.

And listening to the M0 soundtrack am beginning to appreciate what kawamori was trying to do. I admit i didnt realise it then when i was younger.

M0 might be the macross series my grown up self seemed to be looking for. A more mature macross.

Anyway, sorry for the segway, back to the topic.

4 hours ago, seti88 said:

M0 might be the macross series my grown up self seemed to be looking for. A more mature macross.

It was for me! I was 30 when it came out and it was amazing back then. It's still one of my favorites. 

I feel like it takes a decade for a new TV series because musical trends need to change, and so the musical stars from each series don't compete with one another. 

The last two TV series have had galaxy-threatening antagonists. I think they need to step it back and depict some sort of civil war. Wouldn't it be a great irony that the protoculture's offspring spread to the stars and then begin fighting among themselves? Admittedly, that's not a very uplifting sort of message. Whatever it is, I feel like it will take a lot of creativity for a new Macross series to explore new themes. How do you make music saving the day surprising when you've seen it over and over?

It is a period of civil war.
Rebel spaceships, striking
from a hidden base, have won
their first victory against
the evil NUNS.

During the battle, Rebel
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the NUNS's
ultimate weapon, the DIMENSIONAL
WEAPONS, devastating
weapons with enough power to
destroy entire planets.

Pursued by the NUNS's
sinister agents, [insert
musical idol] races home aboard her
starship, custodian of the
stolen plans that can save
her people and restore
freedom to the galaxy..... [via some sort of mutually assured destruction deterrence?]

evil nuns

Edited by kumokumo

I think there's still a chance Big West will use my proposal for Delta.

They can make a show about one of those "covert" Valkyrie squadrons that they keep claiming exist that we never see. Angel Team, or Alpha Team, something like that. A small force with exceptional talents that handles exceptional problems.

For narrative interest, it's a disgraced team. A mission went wrong, someone had to take the blame, and they were railroaded by the higher-ups, sent to prison for a crime they didn't commit.

The first episode, we see them breaking out of a military prison, stealing some Valks, and escaping.

The rest of the series has them folding from colony to colony, one step ahead of the authorities, working to clear their name while doing random acts of goodness as mercenaries to make ends meet.

Macross A-Team: Coming soon to a television near you.

31 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I think there's still a chance Big West will use my proposal for Delta.

They can make a show about one of those "covert" Valkyrie squadrons that they keep claiming exist that we never see. Angel Team, or Alpha Team, something like that. A small force with exceptional talents that handles exceptional problems.

For narrative interest, it's a disgraced team. A mission went wrong, someone had to take the blame, and they were railroaded by the higher-ups, sent to prison for a crime they didn't commit.

The first episode, we see them breaking out of a military prison, stealing some Valks, and escaping.

The rest of the series has them folding from colony to colony, one step ahead of the authorities, working to clear their name while doing random acts of goodness as mercenaries to make ends meet.

Macross A-Team: Coming soon to a television near you.

I dunno... needs more scifi... how about instead of a team it's one VF pilot, but they are stuck in uncontrollable temporal folds due to an experiment malfunctioning... their VF folds into different years where they have to do something to change history for the better, but their own guide is a future colleague manifesting as a fold phantom only the protag can see and hear.

So basically they time fold from year to year, putting back what went wrong and hoping their next fold will be the fold... home. I call it, Macross: Quantum Fold.

Or the same thing but they are uncontrollably folding to different colonies and not time traveling cause that's probably easier and the former just means people will expect cameos.. they have to solve an issue in each location before they are forced away, their fold booster having a mind of it's own.

Nah, if they're gonna capitalize on Delta they're gonna keep pushing crap for the "waifu" crowd... maybe we'll get Daily Life with Valkyrie Girls.  One poor schlub pilot gets stuck living with an ever-growing harem of variable fighters.

I think I prefer Macross Quantum Fold.

21 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah, if they're gonna capitalize on Delta they're gonna keep pushing crap for the "waifu" crowd... maybe we'll get Daily Life with Valkyrie Girls.  One poor schlub pilot gets stuck living with an ever-growing harem of variable fighters.

Probably...:cray:

I wouldn't mind Kawamori going full on shounen and doing a battle/tournament kind of show with the feisty upstart protagonist showing up unannounced with his custom Valk that he developed with his grandpa (who never shows up and is a Macross 7 veteran).

Too cliché?

54 minutes ago, Marzan said:

I wouldn't mind Kawamori going full on shounen and doing a battle/tournament kind of show with the feisty upstart protagonist showing up unannounced with his custom Valk that he developed with his grandpa (who never shows up and is a Macross 7 veteran).

Too cliché?

... too already done, that's basically Macross the Ride if you take out the grandpa and have the main protagonist's backstory tie directly into Macross 7.

Whatever is done next will certainly be the same formula.  That's the fun and staple of the series.  Kawamori did an interview last year that was quite interesting.  Here's an excerpt:

The “Macross” sequels and spinoffs that followed, virtually all of which were developed by Kawamori, featured new characters and settings, but always retained the same basic elements that made the original a hit: transforming robots, love triangles and pop music.

Retaining those elements while simultaneously keeping each sequel fresh is “incredibly difficult,” says Kawamori.

“By the time you get to ‘Macross Frontier’ (2008), everyone knows from the outset that music is going to save the day. When people know how the story ends, that makes it especially hard,” he says with a laugh. “What I decided to do each time was keep the concept, but change the style. For example, ‘Macross Zero’ is manga style, ‘Macross Plus’ is American movie style, and so on.”

For “Macross Delta,” the latest entry in the franchise, the style is “teamwork.”

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2019/08/08/films/shoji-kawamori-40-years-spent-designing-anime-future/#.XyLv_B17lTY

Maybe the next series, plot-wise, should focus on the center of the galaxy. For some reason, humanity has some interest in heading toward the galactic core that I don't think is well-explained. And the megaroad 01 was lost there, adding to the mystery. But I'm not quite sure as to what sort interesting things are to be found. I don't think there's anything wrong with going back to a colonization ship setting, although 7 and Frontier already were quite imaginative regarding setting.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... too already done, that's basically Macross the Ride if you take out the grandpa and have the main protagonist's backstory tie directly into Macross 7.

Only stuff that makes it onto the screen counts :p

I would like to see some kind of competition between two rivals PMC for the NUNS security contracts and how different they deal with the situations (Hostage rescue, scort mission, peacekeeping operation, etc) and of course a new genre of music to "save the day" when the weapons fail and sh*t hit the fan.

3 hours ago, Marzan said:

Only stuff that makes it onto the screen counts :p

Tell that to the writers, who've been building on and directly referencing stuff that only happened in video games and light novels. :lol:

2 hours ago, Gerli said:

and of course a new genre of music to "save the day"

Maybe it's time Macross branches out to something like metal?  That seems like a genre that'd go over well with the Zentradi.

Hell, maybe do a Zentradi version of Detroit Metal City, about an up-and-coming Zentradi metal band.

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

Wasn't that kinda M+ ? 

Kinda... but focusing in how one Company uses stealth and try to minimize colateral damage and the other company just nuke everything in his path to do the job and secure the funding.... so maybe a little dark like M+

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Tell that to the writers, who've been building on and directly referencing stuff that only happened in video games and light novels. :lol:

Maybe it's time Macross branches out to something like metal?  That seems like a genre that'd go over well with the Zentradi.

Hell, maybe do a Zentradi version of Detroit Metal City, about an up-and-coming Zentradi metal band.

I wonder about a prequel where the original Protoculture society's wars are examined? Maybe a "hour before doomsday" scenario? Or one where the pre-SDF-1 is launched on it's last flight? Maybe even a sequel series where a portion of the Protoculture society survived and is not thrilled about humanity?

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'd love to see a metal Macross personally. It's not like there aren't a ton of good examples of Japanese metal bands to draw inspiration from lol.

On 7/27/2020 at 6:21 PM, ErikElvis said:

I’m hoping for a 4-6 part series that scratches the itch that plus does. 

This. I absolutely adore Plus.  I'd love to see a big budget "live action" (lots of CGI obviously) version brought to the US market. It has a great Top Gun feel to it. I think you could sneak it into the US market without many knowing the origins and get them hooked on wanting more Macross type stuff. I really think Plus could be the "gateway drug" for the American audience. Then go franchise crazy. The US needs a new strong franchise. Or maybe a Netflix backed scenario. They have Plus level money on shows already. Altered Carbon for example.