HLJ shopping experiences

BroTaku79

I've been a customer for almost twenty years and built out a big chunk of my Macross toy and model collection through them. Excellent customer service and their Private Warehouse sets the standard for everyone else. Their website has gone through some big changes over the past year, and I don't think anyone here would say those changes were for the better, but you really only notice the issues when a large number of people are trying to buy the same item at the same time (like the recent preorder for the Bandai DX VF-1S Roy). That tends to not happen with model kits, so you'll be fine.

I bought all three of the Plamax 1/20 Valkyrie kits through HLJ. Sure, they were a bit more expensive than other stores, but given the high price tag, I wanted to make sure that I'd be taken care of if something went wrong...which it did. Turns out the boxes for those kits are BIG, so the automatic shipping cost calculators most sites use (including HLJ) were coming back with estimates well north of $300, which is insane. I contacted HLJ customer support, shared my concerns, and they worked with their shipping department to lower the cost by a substantial amount--for everyone. To my knowledge, they're the only store to do that, which made buying these large kits much more reasonable.

I've also sent feedback to their founder, Scott Hards, on several occasions and he always provides thoughtful responses.

For a while, I was using HLJ almost exclusively... they're good, and their Private Warehouse buying option really helps save money on international shipping by giving you a month or more of leeway about when you ship things.  

That said, pretty much all their shipping options are Priority shipping of one flavor or another (FedEx, DHL, etc.) so shipping costs can get a bit steep.

I've been a customer since they first appeared online, over twenty years ago.  I met Scott at a WizardWorld convention back in the early 2000s.  Super nice guy, big hobby geek.  I have never had an issue with anything from them.  The redesigned site is a bit a flaky, but other than Macross pre-orders, it works if you know what you are looking for.  They are currently running a promotion where you can win back your shipping costs.  Most items on the shop are discounted, again, other than the crazy Macross toys.  If you are looking for model kits, they can't be beat.  Easy to order, great customer service and super trust worthy (they will not scalp).

Same as above. they are amazing. I've been shopping with HLJ since at Least.. Well i got married in 2001 and before that. I think my first order from them may've been when i lived in San Diego. so. 1997 or 98. at any rate. they've always been fantastic. I consider them the gold standard. 

• Yes, their current website performs poorly. (I was a web dev until 3 yrs ago.. i could go on.. it sucks) BUT
  • They do not charge you for things until they have them in their hands and are ready to ship to you within a couple days. This is a sign of a good company IMHO. 
  • They do not overcharge. They do not play scalper games. you will never (so far) pay HLJ $300 for a 150000 yen item. 
  • They pack things well. I have never received destroyed merch from them. 
  • they are my first line to buy something from Japan every time.
  • Did I mention they read and *gasp* ANSWER their email/support?

HLJ is the best.

Edited by lavinrac

I have to second everyone! I've been buying from them since their early days (wow, a couple of decades now?). I believe they are now one of Japan's largest if not THE largest of exporter hobby goods from Japan. Many stateside stores get their products from them fro retail. - MT

Long time customer. They every now and again have some hiccups but by & large they're my go-to for overseas purchases.