• 3 years later...
  • azrael changed the title to [Amazon Prime] FALLOUT
  • 3 months later...

Yup I'm even more hyped after that new trailer, it looks fantastic! And once again, Walton Goggins can do no wrong, the dude is an incredible actor, plus all episodes at once? I like that, makes the release for Invincible seem even more egregious. 

5 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Yup I'm even more hyped after that new trailer, it looks fantastic! And once again, Walton Goggins can do no wrong, the dude is an incredible actor, plus all episodes at once? I like that, makes the release for Invincible seem even more egregious. 

Definitely with you on the all at once thing. I also hate the long wait for just a few episodes of Invincible.

8 hours ago, Hikuro said:

yeah I'll watch this. I mean with t he disappointment of Halo, this couldn't be any worse. 

Halo was so bad I forgot to finish it before they pulled the rest of season one off Amazon 

Edited by Big s

16 hours ago, Big s said:

Halo was so bad I forgot to finish it before they pulled the rest of season one off Amazon 

way worse now. I think the showrunners are deliberately pissing the fans off and get off on it like the cable guys from south park.

2 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Guaranteed? Yikes. To each their own, but dumpster fire? In what way?

Let me be clear.. I really want it not to be a Dumpster fire, but unless you've been living under a rock,  or in your parents basement with no internet one does not need to look very far.  

I'll start with West World then...  First 2 seasons teetered beetween ok and good but never great.. the 3rd and... how'd that turn out again?

The Lord of the Rings reboot.. yeah nuff said

He-Man reboot?  anyone?

What I find amusing is how Amazon is touting this Fallout series with the headline about its the same writers from West World.. 

10 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Let me be clear.. I really want it not to be a Dumpster fire, but unless you've been living under a rock,  or in your parents basement with no internet one does not need to look very far.  

I'll start with West World then...  First 2 seasons teetered beetween ok and good but never great.. the 3rd and... how'd that turn out again?

He-Man reboot?  anyone?

What I find amusing is how Amazon is touting this Fallout series with the headline about its the same writers from West World.. 

I mean, it's all subjective, I thought West World season 1 was fantastic, great stand alone season that later seasons never managed to reach in quality again. Rings of Power? He-Man? Those aren't related to this show in any way, I'm not understanding your logic. I could just as easily say Shogun is incredible, it's not related either but it's a show that's out and is a 10/10, that proves something I guess? House of the Dragon was great, Last of Us was really good, The Curse was fantastic, I just don't get the bringing up two other unrelated shows to make a point, there isn't really one, some shows are good and some shows are bad, that's kind of how it works. 

4 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

He-Man reboot?  anyone?

I’m gonna look more at Amazon for examples and some of their stuff is pretty great. Sure Rings of Power was as you said a dumpster fire, but Reacher is pretty fun for being kind of a basic television series with a bit of streaming flavor added, The Boys is still one of the best things in the superhero category along with Invincible.

I personally think Fallout looks far more promising than Rings of Power and hopefully Amazon has learned from that mistake. Sure there’s a chance for failure, but it looks like a different kind of show. As far as video game adaptations, it looks far better than Halo from p+. And I killed the last of us on Max. I couldn’t think of one on Amazon.

14 hours ago, Big s said:

I’m gonna look more at Amazon for examples and some of their stuff is pretty great. Sure Rings of Power was as you said a dumpster fire, but Reacher is pretty fun for being kind of a basic television series with a bit of streaming flavor added, The Boys is still one of the best things in the superhero category along with Invincible.

I personally think Fallout looks far more promising than Rings of Power and hopefully Amazon has learned from that mistake. Sure there’s a chance for failure, but it looks like a different kind of show. As far as video game adaptations, it looks far better than Halo from p+. And I killed the last of us on Max. I couldn’t think of one on Amazon.

I mean, I think overall Amazon has some absolute bangers for shows.

The Boys and Invincible are a breath of fresh air for superhero stuff, The Expanse is one of the greatest scifi series ever made period, Man in the High Castle is brilliant, Reacher and Terminal List were both fantastic throwbacks to classic action cinema, Good Omens and Gen V were both solid series. I'd say Amazon is far more hit then miss, Rings of Power was an epic stinker to be sure, but to use that to try to say Fallout will be a dumpster fire? I'm just not following. 

5 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I mean, I think overall Amazon has some absolute bangers for shows.

The Boys and Invincible are a breath of fresh air for superhero stuff, The Expanse is one of the greatest scifi series ever made period, Man in the High Castle is brilliant, Reacher and Terminal List were both fantastic throwbacks to classic action cinema, Good Omens and Gen V were both solid series. I'd say Amazon is far more hit then miss, Rings of Power was an epic stinker to be sure, but to use that to try to say Fallout will be a dumpster fire? I'm just not following. 

Basically I’d trust Amazon over some of the other streaming services. One stinker isn’t that bad of a track record. Disney+ would be a different story. That’s where I’d feel worried about a show popping up, but Amazon isn’t D+ 

okay. not gonna lie, the way that power armor just flew down there and the arms waving around to steady it, THAT right there, awesome, that looked right on the money for a practical effect and I dig it. I'm watching it.

• 4 weeks later...

Caught four episodes and hot damn, it's frakking fantastic! Easily a 9/10 for me, Walton Goggins steals every scene he's in, as you'd expect, but everything else is just so good.

Solid performances, excellent visuals, it's brutal and violent, but then also very funny and handles the dark humor well, the tone is exactly spot on for the Fallout game series. I'm beyond impressed, I didn't expect the show to turn out this good, the trailers looked good, but that's not a difficult task to accomplish, lots of trailers look good for crappy shows and movies.

Within the Fallout game continuity and universe I've found a few little things that don't perfectly line up, but I also believe since Bethesda is heading this they're going to downplay Fallout New Vegas and it's events and continuity as that was Obsidian. New Vegas was pretty much inarguably the best of the new Fallout games, superior to 3 and 4 in every way, but Bethesda has always treated it as a red-headed stepchild, oh well. 

Highly recommended, I'm going to an IFL game tonight but I'm eager to get home and watch more, it's just really good, I'm hooked to the TV every episode. 

I just finished the series. Truthfully I'm not a big fallout player or anything, I got bored of it pretty quickly so I had to watch some youtube stuff to get a general idea of the lore and I gotta say, showrunners from Halo should take notes.

Not a fan of the games and have very little knowledge other than a few commercials. That being said, I’m loving the show. I’m about halfway through and it’s definitely my favorite show of the year. I thought Shogun would be my number one, but I had a feeling it was too early to call. So far it’s a better year for streaming so far and hopefully there’s more good shows up and coming.

As an odd side, I really want to see that Warhammer project after seeing the way armor was handled here

I've played most of the Fallout games since Fallout 3, and it captures the look and feel of those game very well. Kudos to the location scouts for finding so many real-world derelict and dilapidated places to film. In Fallout, the environment is as important to the game as any other element, and they did an exceptional job of capturing those areas and set pieces in the show to resemble game environments. Ella Purnell does a great job as a cheeky adorable Vault dweller who leaves the safety and naivete of her vault on a quest. Aaron Moten, in turn, gives an enjoyable performance as a member of the Brotherhood of Steel with his own issues. Not to be outdone, Walton Goggins chews the scenery in both his pre-bomb life as a popular actor, and post bomb life as a ghoul bounty hunter.  Moreover, just like in the games, the Vaults hold secrets and surprises. My wife and I watched the first six eps today, and we're planning on finishing it off tomorrow. My wife has never played the games, so I give her a little bit of backstory as we go along, but she's into the show regardless due to the strengths of the storytelling, the incredible visuals, and well-acted roles across the board. Def hope this gets another season or two. It's fun to visit the Fallout universe in this format.

Wrapped the season up last night and it was fantastic overall, really well done, faithful to the source, great performances, it was funny and dark, very Fallout. Definitely looking forward to season 2...

Spoiler

The New Vegas tease was frakking awesome in the last couple of seconds of the season, myself and many others online were a bit confused by the timeline and some of the continuity in relation to New Vegas. Bethesda has always treated New Vegas as a bit of a red-headed step-child since it was made by Obsidian, not to mention it's vastly superior to Fallout 3, 4 and 76 combined but that's another story. I still think the timeline is a bit wonky, but clearly they're going there next season and I can't be more hyped, New Vegas was peak Fallout, I even liked it more then Fallout 2, my first Fallout and the best of the older games. 

Great season overall, a pleasant surprise to be sure, hopefully we'll be getting more game adaptations with the same care moving forward, this and Last of Us proves there's money to be made and the shows don't have to be terrible if you respect the source material, and who woulda thunk it, brought some of the people on that worked on the games themselves. 

If you've never played any of the games I highly, highly, highly recommend checking them out, they're all on sale pretty much everywhere right now. I grabbed New Vegas and Fallout 3 for $1.50 on the Microsoft store, I've played both games a half dozen times at least but they still hold up and both deliver 100+ hours of excellent content, at least, per game. 

I really enjoyed it. Amazon did a fantastic job.

Spoiler

I think my two biggest standouts I recalled are:

1) They confirmed Vault-Tec started the war without outright saying they started the war; and

2) At first I was buggered that they didn't start with the traditional "War never changes," quote, but then in the final episodes perform a time-jump to before the start of the series where, boom, it's used.

Pretty stoked to see the spin they put in New Vegas - it's the best of bunch out there and I can imagine precisely what he's after now.