52TOYS -- Interesting mecha toys

A few months ago I have been seeing publications of I'm interesting mecha toys. And I must say that along with others that have come out, I especially like the latter, which I am sure will add to my collection when it is released. I hope you adjusted this post.

52t47369_12.jpg

I recently discovered this line, and subsequently bought a number of them, including the Alien Queen and the Alien. Out of the line, the Alien Queen is the most complex, having a more involved transformation, a lot of detail and moving parts, and pretty good overall articulation. Definitely a fun little representation. I've got the Powerloader, which sadly doesn't come with a Ripley fig to operate it, and the Landbreaker PO'd. 

There's a pretty good thread on TFW2005 for these. Scroll down to see some proto pics. I'm down for all of them, but those mantids are especially awesome.

Nope, except the whale, which comes with a mini-Jojo (gorilla).  It's a bummer that they don't make pilot figs. I guess the Diaclone figs fit in some of them (the crab comes to mind, and possibly the Landbreaker ).  I thought about getting a pack, but those things are ridiculously overpriced for what you get. So, my BeastBox/MegaBox figs will remain sentient until a cheaper pilot alternative comes along. I wish 52Toys would make pilot figs for the BB/MB figs that accommodate them, as well as a Ripley fig for their Powerloader, but thus far they've shown no inclination towards doing so.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread has gone silent; time for a few updates:

The Predator.

EdqBCEUVAAAHNvl?format=jpg&name=360x360

Looks like there's a Stegosaurus in the works. More dinos is a good thing.

POs are up for Leonardo, Darkwave, and Stargazer, as well as the Landbreaker mentioned a few posts back. 

EdghizPU0AAoEsY?format=jpg&name=360x360Ec-mgYbUYAYHniE?format=jpg&name=360x360EdIoxHzUcAAP4ei?format=jpg&name=360x360

Edited by M'Kyuun

I'm a huge Stego fan, but I'm just not feeling theirs.  I think the plates are simply too small, all the same size, and not staggered/alternating.  (we've found enough skeletons by now to know they alternated/zig-zagged, not "paired" along the spine)  

I am quite tempted by the Brachio though, it's EXTREMELY Zoid Ultrasaurus-esque. 

I want the shark, and the lobster---but both first releases are red?  (red lobster=obvious, but I want my Seacon-colored versions, or at least "aquatic" blue/green/purple etc)

Give it time; just about every mold they've done has been released in various color schemes, so you may get your wish. Personally, I'm not crazy about the reuse of the gator mold for a shark, but I do like the gator. I think a dedicated mold would have worked better, but it is what it is.

The longnecks are both cool, and a lot of the figs in this line give me a Zoids-lite vibe. 

Shame about the Stego back plate inaccuracy, but it won't dissuade me from getting one. Most of these guys are so stylized already that I'm pretty forgiving of minor stuff like that. I wish they'd give them better articulation. That's been my biggest niggle with the line.

It's just that a stego's plates are THE defining feature.   It'd be like having a short-necked brachio...

You can mess with/stylize a lot of things----just not THAT thing.  :)

27 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

It's just that a stego's plates are THE defining feature.   It'd be like having a short-necked brachio...

You can mess with/stylize a lot of things----just not THAT thing.  :)

Haha, or like a triceratops with only one horn.

At least he has plates, and tail spikes, even if they're not asymmetrical. Here's a colored shot. Fortunately, those colors aren't final.:bad: I like the colors they used for the longnecks, especially the Brachiosaur. Some tan and dark green would look nice. Back plate arrangement notwithstanding, I like the overall sculpt, especially the neck and head. I was afraid it might be more like Snarl, with the head just tacked onto the body. The legs look like they're single piece units with no articulation. <_< That's my pet peeve. I hope it at least has the ball jointed ankles like their Triceratops, but it doesn't look like it.:unknw:

• 5 weeks later...

Got my Landbreaker on Monday, and it's a pretty fun little set. I very much like the construction theme they went for, and the tampos look crisp. I wish they'd make pilots to accompany them; I guess DiaClone figs work, but man, those little guys are crazy expensive. So for now, my Mole and Groundhog remain delightfully sentient. I still haven't transformed them into their box modes; I'm having too much fun messing with them as construction vehicles. The combined vehicle mode seems the least fun to me, and the combined mech mode is all kinds of fun. The articulation is excellent. I haven't explored the modularity as of yet. Honestly, my interest in that capability is rather low. However, after they've released their undersea set, I may get the itch to want to swap a few parts just for sh!ts and giggles. Anyway, thought I'd share a few thoughts and see if anyone else here got this set.