7 hours ago, tekering said:

Yeah, but those designs never actually got depicted in the animation... perhaps because they simply ran out of time to incorporate them.  You'll notice the date on that lower sketch -- July 22nd, 1983 -- was a mere ten weeks from Mospeada's broadcast premiere, October 2nd.   

Screenshot_20200707-203958_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20200707-204155_YouTube.jpg

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

25 minutes ago, mechaninac said:

If you were mispronouncing it wrong, wouldn't that mean that you were pronouncing it right?... :unsure::unknw: ...8P... :lol:

Gah! Double negative! Bad Dobber BAD! Lol!

Chris

42 minutes ago, jenius said:

Here are those overhead comparisons:

Sentinel-AFC-01H-Legioss-25A.jpg

Sentinel-AFC-01H-Legioss-26A.jpg

It’s still amazing how compact they got the legs and feet to get in fighter mode.

Would have been nice if they added a gimmick to hide that gap between the calves (looking from the top), like a sliding cover or even getting the calves closer together

2 hours ago, jenius said:

Sentinel-AFC-01H-Legioss-25A.jpg

Sentinel-AFC-01H-Legioss-26A.jpg

Though its the most compact and best looking legioss in fighter mode, the down side is that gapping hole between the legs in that same mode. I guess its a concession that I will have to accept 

On another note, Hikaru/Rick hunter, looks like he is too small for the legioss cockpit too

B3CA53F4-0413-4840-8E70-8C93F8771BAC.jpeg

Edited by Guyffon

1 hour ago, Guyffon said:

On another note, Hikaru/Rick hunter, looks like he is too small for the legioss cockpit too

he is too small even for dx vf-1 cockpit

2 hours ago, Snake Eyes said:

Would have been nice if they added a gimmick to hide that gap between the calves (looking from the top), like a sliding cover or even getting the calves closer together

Tlead wiil hide it :D

4 hours ago, jenius said:

What really shines to me is Sentinel's more angular treatment of those leading wing tips around the fuselage. The rounded ones from previous toys just never looked right to me and don't quite fit in with the blocky nature of the Legioss.

8 minutes ago, lechuck said:

What really shines to me is Sentinel's more angular treatment of those leading wing tips around the fuselage. The rounded ones from previous toys just never looked right to me and don't quite fit in with the blocky nature of the Legioss.

If you are refering to the parts next to the cockpit, I think the correct term is called lerx

5 hours ago, Mog said:

It’s still amazing how compact they got the legs and feet to get in fighter mode.

Actually what I don't understand is why the other companies weren't able to compress the legs more. I only own the Sentinel version, but I didn't notice anything particularly new or amazing in the mechanism to collapse the legs. It's all been done before. What was the limitation in the other toys?

1 hour ago, Perxion said:

Very good batch of images Guyffon! Thank you!

Do any have reference images of the tread of your missiles?

I have doubts if the missiles are located on the body or in front.

image.png.3ced927ac5915c413eff06da6ecc2419.png

Thanks!

Both; top and front: Check the CM Tread/ Tlead on Anymoon.com, they were able to incorporate it into their toy. The Toynami/ Aoshima didn't have this option.

CMs-AFC-01I-Iota-Legioss-4.jpg

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

1 hour ago, Guyffon said:

I found this sketch of the pilot coming out of the legioss head is interesting

Also there is line art depicting the central missle pod

3A7708E3-6872-40A3-91B3-D7E2E77C3959.jpeg

2DD7F38E-CE04-4AFA-A12A-0A159D07481F.jpeg

Based on that, the central missile pod becomes the missiles on the forearms and not an extra missile pod on either shoulders. 

49 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

Actually what I don't understand is why the other companies weren't able to compress the legs more. I only own the Sentinel version, but I didn't notice anything particularly new or amazing in the mechanism to collapse the legs. It's all been done before. What was the limitation in the other toys?

I think Sentinel's wings extend more to the back which helps cover most of the legs. If the other toys were to do the same, it will look close to Sentinel's giving the illusion of less of the legs showing. 

Edited by crackpot

27 minutes ago, crackpot said:

Based on that, the central missile pod becomes the missiles on the forearms and not an extra missile pod on either shoulders. 

That's a page from the Palladium Robotech RPG book REF Field Guide, so take that with a HUGE grain of salt. Maybe a whole box.

1 hour ago, ArchieNov said:

Don’t have a Sentinel yet, and only own the Toynami.  But here’s my observations:  

Part of it has to do with how the feet collapse into the legs.  Toynami’s really don’t collapse at all.

The other part involves how the back of the chest intakes are hollowed out a little to allow the legs to fit in more compact.  The back of the Toynami’s chest intake is a solid block that the legs butt up against.

And lastly, the way the whole hip assembly flips up for fighter mode is something the Toynami version never did. There’s a slight adjustment of the hips between fighter and battloid mode, but it’s almost unnoticeable.

4 minutes ago, crackpot said:

I guess I can't consider it to be accurate then. 

You can't consider anything to be accurate if it's published in English, since the English version of Mospeada is, er, umm, Robotech.  <_<

14 minutes ago, crackpot said:

I think Sentinel's wings extend more to the back which helps cover most of the legs. If the other toys were to do the same, it will look close to Sentinel's giving the illusion of less of the legs showing. 

Yep, that's what I noticed, too. Sentinel's has more wing area than any other version, and it extends farther back . The collapsible leading edge section and linkage to move the wing forward were great ideas to allow for that longer wing. Funny no one else thought of it before, but I imagine it'll be copied on other Legioss toys down the road. 

28 minutes ago, Mog said:

Don’t have a Sentinel yet, and only own the Toynami.  But here’s my observations:  

Part of it has to do with how the feet collapse into the legs.  Toynami’s really don’t collapse at all.

The other part involves how the back of the chest intakes are hollowed out a little to allow the legs to fit in more compact.  The back of the Toynami’s chest intake is a solid block that the legs butt up against.

And lastly, the way the whole hip assembly flips up for fighter mode is something the Toynami version never did. There’s a slight adjustment of the hips between fighter and battloid mode, but it’s almost unnoticeable.

Same here; I only own the Toynami, which was my favorite in terms of aesthetics until the Sentinel version. The Sentinel is superior in every way, IMHO, and I'm eagerly awaiting getting mine.  There's nothing really novel in the engineering, as we've seen similar solutions from Arcadia and Bandai in their Macross stuff, but the application of those ideas work great in recreating some of the anime magic that goes on in presenting the most favorable shapes in the various modes in the animation. For whatever reason, no other company has been so ambitious about applying some of the techniques that have come out of Macross toy designs until now, and I'm glad Sentinel went the extra mile, as they've set the bar for Legioss toys going forward.

As for nitpicks, the gap between the legs in the top down doesn't bother me as much as the gap just aft of the sensor array plate. They could have just extended that back another few millimeters to cover the hole in the chest, and given all the other neat solutions they employed, that seems like an odd and simply corrected oversight. As warts go, it's not nearly so egregious as the plethora of major malfunctions and material deficiencies that plagued the Toynami. i can forgive it for all that Sentinel got right with this toy.

The lack of pins in the aft wings seems like an odd oversight as well, given how easily they tend to want to disembark from their moorings. I ordered mine through TFSource, so my wait will be longer than those who ordered through Japanese sources. My hope is that in that time, Sentinel will act on feedback about some of these easily correctable flaws, and my copy will benefit.  Not expecting it, but hoping for it just the same.

50 minutes ago, crackpot said:

Oh. :mellow: I guess I can't consider it to be accurate then. 

Don't discount it completely yet though... those books generally took their inspiration from (or outright copied) the work of the original creators. There are probably a few sheets of original material that depict those same things... somewhere. 

22 minutes ago, jenius said:

Don't discount it completely yet though... those books generally took their inspiration from (or outright copied) the work of the original creators. There are probably a few sheets of original material that depict those same things... somewhere. 

That's what I've been researching in the past hour or so to see if those sketches were lifted from any of the Japanese source material. 

Edit: actually they are but I haven't seen the sketch with the central missile pod yet.

Edited by crackpot

No obvious teases . . . yet.  At least nothing like how they sneaked Yellow’s bike on Rey’s box art.

They did show a drawing about a year ago for their “Genesis Breakers” reimagining.

But that was mostly a reimagining of Stick’s ride armor.

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

As for nitpicks, the gap between the legs in the top down doesn't bother me as much as the gap just aft of the sensor array plate. They could have just extended that back another few millimeters to cover the hole in the chest, and given all the other neat solutions they employed, that seems like an odd and simply corrected oversight.

I think what you're interpreting as a gap is a dark gray painted area, and I think they painted it dark gray to go along with the leading edges of the shoulder 'intakes'. Like they tried to make that center section look like the top of the shoulders on either side of it. I probably would have preferred it all be blue but you could always cover that area up with the missile pod.

35 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I may have missed it, I apologize if I did. Any speculation on a show or something where they may tease us with a Tread?

I've got a massive Jones for one now!

Negative, they really haven't made any official indication that a Tread is a thought... but there was mention of the Legioss being made with the concept of a Tread in mind and it was possible if the Legioss sold really well. It seems unlikely there will be shows any time soon so curious how we'll get updates if they do decide to do it! We know next up on the hype train is the Zeta and Houquet ride armor so we probably have a long time before a Tread is teased. 

God, remember when CM's developed a Legioss and a Tread concurrently and then they still didn't connect in fighter mode??? What a joke!

What’s a joke is that the CM’s Legioss’ head couldn’t turn, the Legioss’ tailfins couldn’t get pushed in completely, and the yellow array on the back of the Tread stuck up in bomber mode.

It's been an exciting couple of days. Many items from various far away places, vastly different shipping times & shipping methods so happen to all arrive at the same time. :lol:

Just opened up the Legioss, and so far have only been fiddling at it in Fighter mode. Really loving handling it so far on the accessible gimmicks in this mode: the various missile bays, the landing gears, it all feels really great quality. Swooshing it around fulfilled the fantasies from back in the day when the Legioss 'toy' to me was just a simple paper origami..  

But in hand, there's some unexpected minor gripes in this mode. In all the prior pics & videos, the gaps between the shoulders and the wings, and also the hole at the back of cockpit can be unsightly, just like the see-through gap area in Yamato's SV-51 fighter mode (rectified in Arcadia's update). The big surprise which I didn't catch earlier is the huge gap between the legs when viewed from top.

Another nitpick would be the cockpit glass itself. The clear plastic has some slight opacity to it, and minute swirl / wavy marks throughout, which recalls the old Yamato 1/48 valks as compared to other modern valks we have today.

Also mildly disappointed the landing gears are plastic instead of metal. Not an issue now, but as the rear landing gears can be quite stiff to deploy, the concern would be tendency of breakage in later years when the plastic ages and take on brittle qualities.

Given all the various gimmicks and subtle stuff Sentinel employed throughout the whole toy, I have wondered why there isn't an opening behind the cockpit for a folded-up ride armor gimmick haha.. I wonder if this is really feasible in any toy form since that space appear to be taken up by the shoulder sensor array for Soldier mode. 

3 hours ago, jenius said:

God, remember when CM's developed a Legioss and a Tread concurrently and then they still didn't connect in fighter mode??? What a joke!

That's top shelf ridiculous! :rofl: