1 hour ago, danth said:

Anyway my phone is a potato but we need a buddy cop movie with these guys.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sq6aVAimFrE/Xvafaz4skEI/AAAAAAAAIGI/lLDaA-9OJY0pd4UzWPNluxJolAokSWPtACK8BGAsYHg/s0/2020-06-26.jpg

Now all we need is a Hovertank on the end!

I know it's blasphemy around these parts, but I really enjoy how the technology progressed between the Robotech generations.  Each mecha got smaller and more compact, without being worse off.

2 minutes ago, CoryHolmes said:

Now all we need is a Hovertank on the end!

I know it's blasphemy around these parts, but I really enjoy how the technology progressed between the Robotech generations.  Each mecha got smaller and more compact, without being worse off.

I don't think it's wrong to enjoy both. For a lot of us RT was our Macross. That's going to leave an impression for sure. That said, Macross = better.

4 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Anything will fly with enough thrust pushing it. Consider the Russian VVA-14. The Legioss is a very small fighter, probably close in size to an F-16, with two main engines, and two, I'm assuming, rocket motors in the arms for additional thrust. My assumption is based on the fact that there are exhausts, but no intakes, hence the need for internal chemical reaction. The arms certainly break up the aerodynamics of the upper fuselage, but again, ostensibly with four engines providing thrust and a decent amount of wing surface for lift, I think it could fly. I'd be interested to see someone build an RC plane, to see how it actually flies. I looked for it on Youtube, but no luck. Maybe it doesn't, and that's why. :unknw:

Well, we know that the VF-1 will fly for sure, with some modifications :

You are right, with enough thrust, you can make just about anything fly, but I wonder if the wings on the Legioss are big enough to generate enough lift...

Edited by Kyp Durron

2 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

Well, we know that the VF-1 will fly for sure, with some modifications :

You are right, with enough thrust, you can make just about anything fly, but I wonder if the wings on the Legioss are big enough to generate enough lift...

Very cool. I knew there were RC VF-1s out there, but this is the first I've seen this video. You can see the elation on the designer's face when it flies. Priceless. I'm glad he kept the shape of the exhausts (feet) in lieu of more standardized round exhausts. I wonder if the exhausts pivot for thrust vectoring? Cool feat of engineering, nonetheless. There must be some small bit of satisfaction for Kawamori, as well.

Concerning the Legioss's wings, I think, for the size of the fuselage, they look adequate. I think of some delta winged aircraft that have less wing and still fly. I think the issues hindering the Legioss are the many uneven areas on the lower fuselage, and the arms on top. Both are huge sources of drag that spoil the aerodynamics, which necessitates a greater source of thrust, sustained, to enable velocities conducive to flight. I think low speed flight would be extremely challenging, as well as both take off and landing. Pitch and yaw maneuvering would also prove difficult given the size of the stabs. They might be effective at very high speeds, where less deflection is necessary, but at low speeds, IMHO, they're too small to be truly effective.

As a disclaimer, I'm not an engineer, so my opinion is just that, seasoned with 20 years experience working on and around military aircraft. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of an aeronautical engineer, though, or better yet, see them build a practical RC model and put it through its paces. I think getting it into the air and keeping it aloft would take a lot of thrust to overcome all the non-aerodynamic characteristics of the fuselage/arms, and that the flight controls would prove inadequate.

The Legioss sure is pretty, though. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for the sake of enjoying the thought of her sailing through blue skies.

19 minutes ago, VF-Zer0S said:

DHL lost my order. Crazy its the first time I've ever gone through this with them. They are usually spot on but I guess no Legioss for me. 

Insured?

It also may show up. I've had all sorts of packages coming and going that have disappeared for a bit since COVID.

12 hours ago, sqidd said:

I'll make an argument for getting five. I'm about to butcher these mode designations. I can't remember what all of them are for some reason right now.

-Legioss in fighter

-Legioss in driver

-Legioss in soldier 

-Legioss/Tread combo. Legioss in soldier 

-Legioss/Tread combo. Legioss in fighter 

I got two. One for soldier mode getting displayed now and another saved in the box for if/when the Tread is released. I'd really like a third for Fighter mode (not hooked to a Tread)

This is what I’m doing.

2 hours ago, VF-Zer0S said:

DHL lost my order. Crazy its the first time I've ever gone through this with them. They are usually spot on but I guess no Legioss for me. 

They had my package mixed up with somebody else’ and was trying to deliver it elsewhere.  I called them and gave them hell and managed to get it fixed.

9 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Very cool. I knew there were RC VF-1s out there, but this is the first I've seen this video. You can see the elation on the designer's face when it flies. Priceless. I'm glad he kept the shape of the exhausts (feet) in lieu of more standardized round exhausts. I wonder if the exhausts pivot for thrust vectoring? Cool feat of engineering, nonetheless. There must be some small bit of satisfaction for Kawamori, as well.

Concerning the Legioss's wings, I think, for the size of the fuselage, they look adequate. I think of some delta winged aircraft that have less wing and still fly. I think the issues hindering the Legioss are the many uneven areas on the lower fuselage, and the arms on top. Both are huge sources of drag that spoil the aerodynamics, which necessitates a greater source of thrust, sustained, to enable velocities conducive to flight. I think low speed flight would be extremely challenging, as well as both take off and landing. Pitch and yaw maneuvering would also prove difficult given the size of the stabs. They might be effective at very high speeds, where less deflection is necessary, but at low speeds, IMHO, they're too small to be truly effective.

As a disclaimer, I'm not an engineer, so my opinion is just that, seasoned with 20 years experience working on and around military aircraft. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of an aeronautical engineer, though, or better yet, see them build a practical RC model and put it through its paces. I think getting it into the air and keeping it aloft would take a lot of thrust to overcome all the non-aerodynamic characteristics of the fuselage/arms, and that the flight controls would prove inadequate.

The Legioss sure is pretty, though. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for the sake of enjoying the thought of her sailing through blue skies.

Another one that can fly...

Another VF-1 that's more accurate overall (Though a but squarish, it does keep the lower leg fins) with thrust vectoring which I don't believe the first one I showed had :

To keep this more on topic, here's one that was built for Phoenix R/C simulator...maybe someone could build a Legioss fighter mode and give it a whirl there?

Edited by Kyp Durron

6 minutes ago, vladykins said:

For those looking for a Megahouse release for a good price. The image looks a little different from the one I have though, so be careful buying.

105455641_2681446108849010_5868068964592397518_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=x45UqcZdCpsAX_u0SlX&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=6f36786dd21dd28d079905b66786220a&oe=5F1C2B08

What are the other two modes? Ranch and honey mustard?

8 minutes ago, sqidd said:

What are the other two modes? Ranch and honey mustard?

I believe the three modes are "Beef", "Pork" and "Chicken"

Chicken mode is the hardest to accomplish; it is a little fidgety.

Edited by vladykins

Finally decided to give transformation a go. Really, it’s not so bad at all. For me the biggest PITA is the hip swing bar....very reminiscent of the VF-25’s hip joint swing bar...which I never liked. Getting it to lock into place in the correct position is very tricky. Also when going back to fighter it rotates the previously mentioned hip joint peg into the wrong position to correctly stow it into fighter mode so you have to kind of use the leg in the soldier mode position to act as a “wrench” to rotate the peg until it is ALMOST in the correct position and the finish transforming the leg back into fighter mode which will then rotate the peg the rest of the way to the correct orrientation. All this due to that damn double rotation hip bar/joint like the VF-25 uses. Overall still really like the toy. 

Chris

15 hours ago, VF-Zer0S said:

13 hours ago, Mommar said:

They had my package mixed up with somebody else’ and was trying to deliver it elsewhere.  I called them and gave them hell and managed to get it fixed.

Did this happen just this past Friday? I was expecting a delivery that day, got a call from the carrier saying they were outside my residence. I go out there and nobody was there. I called the carrier and confirmed the adress to which they gave me the wrong address. I got it corrected immediately before it was dropped off the wrong address. I think the carrier knew something was off and decided to call first.

Amidst all the Legioss talk, I thought I'd give Mospeada a watch, having never seen it, either in its original form or its RT bastardization. I'm about 5 eps in, and it's pure 80's fun. Super cheesy music (Motorcycle Freak made me LOL) The Inbit fire a lot, but never hit what they're aiming for (must've gone to Stormtrooper Academy), most of the time, Stig is more effectual in the Ride Armor than in the Legioss when engaging the enemy, the usual male-female tropes are in play, and I think it's funny how they're in North America, but everyone speaks Japanese. :)  It's certainly a bit of a guilty pleasure, but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

I've got a bit of a wait for my Legioss, having ordered it through TFSource, which makes me wonder if that might give Sentinel time to address some of the issues that've been arising among the already released toys. I doubt it, but it'd be nice. TBH, I'd be happy to wait for fixes.

42 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Stig is more effectual in the Ride Armor than in the Legioss when engaging the enemy, the usual male-female tropes are in play, and I think it's funny how they're in North America, but everyone speaks Japanese. :)  It's certainly a bit of a guilty pleasure, but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

It's even worse- at that point they are still in South America.  ;)

26 minutes ago, vladykins said:

It's even worse- at that point they are still in South America.  ;)

Well Stig crashes in Brazil. Brazil is home of the largest Japanese population outside Japan. There are 1.6 million people of Japanese descent.

So... :lol::lol:

I can't remember but I think in RT Scott crashes in Argentina.

Love Mospeada,I should rewatch it soon.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

I tried sitting down and watching the RT version a few months back because after working elevindy billion hours a week in front of the computer reading subs is not at the top of my list. I just want to goon out. I think I made it 3 episodes before I couldn't handle it anymore. Hearing the voice actors and music from the RT SDFM was distracting and it was just a little too maybe dumb'd down feeling? Plus, Harley motorcycle sounds out of the Ride Armors was just too much! I have too much motorcycle history to let that slide.:D

I'll have to give the original a try sometime. I think it's on Amazon Prime right now. Or it was.

It still is on Prime!  I watched it all the way through a year or so back. I grew up with the RT version and it was my favorite of the three RT chapters back then.  I still do like the music that wasn't included in the Macross parts, mainly the Invid themes.  There are a couple of cool electronic synth pieces that I really dig in the RT version. It really is VERY close story wise as I remember.  Almost just replace the word "Protoculture" with "HBT" and the story is more or less the same IIRC. I guess since I grew up with the bike sounds, that really never bothered me! 

Edited by derex3592

8 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I guess since I grew up with the bike sounds, that really never bothered me! 

I just know WAY too much about motorcycles. It's like knowing a lot about guns and actual shooting tactics then watching something with absolutely horrible gun handling, etc. You can't un-see it. Or in my case with the Harley sounds, un-hear it.

From a motor cycle guy perspective the Ride Armor's should be electric or a electric/combustion hybrid. And if it was a hybrid one of those HORRIBLE Harley motors would not be anywhere on the list of the Ride Armor designers. If they are hybrids it would be a very compact/light unit. Something like a 500cc inline 2 or 3 cylinder or better yet a narrow V of some sort. Between the small combustion motor and electric motor it could still be very fast.

In reality something like a Ride Armor wouldn't work without some sort of energy density breakthrough well beyond what current technology has in it's tool chest. 

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I just know WAY too much about motorcycles. It's like knowing a lot about guns and actual shooting tactics then watching something with absolutely horrible gun handling, etc. You can't un-see it. Or in my case with the Harley sounds, un-hear it.

From a motor cycle guy perspective the Ride Armor's should be electric or a electric/combustion hybrid. And if it was a hybrid one of those HORRIBLE Harley motors would not be anywhere on the list of the Ride Armor designers. If they are hybrids it would be a very compact/light unit. Something like a 500cc inline 2 or 3 cylinder or better yet a narrow V of some sort. Between the small combustion motor and electric motor it could still be very fast.

In reality something like a Ride Armor wouldn't work without some sort of energy density breakthrough well beyond what current technology has in it's tool chest. 

It's science fiction that uses this weird energy source for fuel.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know anything about motorcycles but have you considered that at the time of animation and dubbing electric/hybrid motorcycles weren't really a thing? It may have been invented but definitely not in a sense of mass production. So the frame of reference is very limited. I don't think dubbing has that much budget either to do research on what a futuristic motorcycle might sound like.

Edited by crackpot

1 hour ago, crackpot said:

Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't know anything about motorcycles but have you considered that at the time of animation and dubbing electric/hybrid motorcycles weren't really a thing? It may have been invented but definitely not in a sense of mass production. So the frame of reference is very limited. I don't think dubbing has that much budget either to do research on what a futuristic motorcycle might sound like.

I'm about 5 eps into the original right now, and they definitely use a gas combustion engine sound effect for the Ride Armors, although I agree with Squidd's assessment that an electric motor sound effect would have been more apropos, especially since the engine sound is replaced with other sound effects when being worn. If a gas engine provides power, it should sound like it regardless of mode. But yeah, science fiction. Thus far, they haven't really explained the nature of HBT, so I don't know what sort of power source it is- liquid fuel? solid fuel? chemical reagents? nuclear? batteries?  It's a Mcguffin thus far, and the center of Ep 5's plot, coincidentally. They use it for both Legioss and Ride Armor, as they show them installing it.

1 hour ago, crackpot said:

Despite there being a dearth of electric motorcycles in the 80's, as battery tech was still pretty inefficient, I don't think that would have played any part in depicting a sci-fi bike. They could have used any sound effect they liked for the motorcycle mode, and I think they chose a gas motor sound purposely just for sheer cool factor. The Japanese love their motorcycles, and an electronic sound probably didn't resonate as well as the good ole revving of a gas engine. 

For those without Prime, you can watch it at thewatchcartoononline.tv      Lots of stuff on there, including a lot of 80's cartoons and a ton of anime, and it's relatively up to date, although they're a bit behind on the new GitS 2045. Netflix prob C&Ded them.

@DradYes!  The original Japanese Mospeada show is on with English subs, The Robotech "Original Broadcast Version" is there (Macross, Southern Cross, and New Gen) as well as the "Remastered Versions", which do I like the video transfer of way better, but as you said, the redone sound effects are horrible! 

Edited by derex3592

3 hours ago, troyness said:

Knerdout review is up.

Tried watching their vid, but after mispronouncing Legioss, Mospeada, and Gakken, and then not knowing what intakes are called, I kinda lost patience. To my thinking, if you're going to put yourself out there and do a review, at least do your homework.

The one takeaway I got from the vid before I quit watching was the one fellow talking about breaking the moving hip joint lock on his. It's the first I've heard of anyone breaking it, so when I finally get mine, I'll be more careful with that part of the transformation.

1 minute ago, M'Kyuun said:

Tried watching their vid, but after mispronouncing Legioss, Mospeada, and Gakken, and then not knowing what intakes are called, I kinda lost patience. To my thinking, if you're going to put yourself out there and do a review, at least do your homework.

Theyre blatant Robotech fans. I prodded them to acknowledge Shinji Aramaki and Usagi with citing it as a MOSPEADA achievement and not Robotech and they copped an attitude. Its their show; its whatever.

4 hours ago, crackpot said:

If it has a internal combustion portion to the drive system it doesn't matter what the fuel is, it will sound like an engine (car, motorcycle, etc). What you're hearing are the explosions. If it was a internal combustion/electric hybrid it would still sound like an internal combustion engine. Electric motors are nearly silent.

For the show they chose to represent them as being partially if not completely internal combustion. And they picked literally the last motor sound (and by extension motor) you would use in that application.:rofl: I don't imagine most people would be as bothered by it as me. I lived motorcycles for almost 20yrs.

In "reality" I find it unlikely that if the technology existed to create a Ride Armor it would have an internal combustion motor at all. Too heavy, too bulky, etc. So my rant is a moot point anyway. They probably shouldn't make any noise. But they chose to have it make noise........and used the worst noise you could.:D

Edited by sqidd