Did Bandai ever reissue IMAI's 1/72 variable Hikaru 1J kit?

Anasazi37

I've never seen a Bandai-branded 1/72 variable Hikaru 1J. Does it exist? I know they put out a battroid kit, but you'd think with Hikaru's popularity that they'd make the variable kit, too. When I started collecting these kits about twenty years ago, I couldn't find the Hikaru, so I bought an extra Millia with the plan to just convert it to an Hikaru (including custom decals). I do have the original IMAI kit, which wasn't easy to track down back then, and I'm thinking of keeping that one unbuilt since it seems to be rare.

20200606_092738.jpg

I received a Millia VF-1J from a friend and to get Hikaru's, I ended up priming it grey and coating the parts a couple of times with white primer, then assembling as I went. Hand-painted the red markings; otherwise just used decals.

• 2 weeks later...

It's sad, I realized I DIDN'T have a variable kit in my stash! I know, shame on me :( Even my family all thought I did. Now I'm trying to find a white one for sale. White would enable me to build it, and paint just the seam areas with "dirt" so the paint doesn't scratch off when posed. The VF-1J or S would be perfect for that! -MT 

3 hours ago, MechTech said:

It's sad, I realized I DIDN'T have a variable kit in my stash! I know, shame on me :( Even my family all thought I did. Now I'm trying to find a white one for sale. White would enable me to build it, and paint just the seam areas with "dirt" so the paint doesn't scratch off when posed. The VF-1J or S would be perfect for that! -MT 

Found this on ebay for you:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Macross-1-72-VF-1S-Valkyrie-Gerwalk-Model-Kit-IMAI-Robotech-Japan-Roy-Fokker/184334615113?hash=item2aeb330249:g:uogAAOSwUixe7VNm

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Dang, that's cheaper than you normally see it on Mandarake, where it goes for about $50. It's also cheaper than the Bandai reissue, which goes for about $25.

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

So, anyone here win the VF-1S for a mere $50! What a deal! Thanks Pengbuzz! I was hoping for white, but we'll see.

Huh. I guess I never noticed that the plastic on the Bandai reissue VF-1S is grey. I just looked at both of mine and, sure enough, grey. I also looked at my Imai VF-1J Hikaru and even that plastic seems to have a grey tinge to the white.

• 2 weeks later...

Found 'em.  Fantastic box art. 

Look like I have two Roy's, one with a box, one without.

IMG_20200708_214119.jpg.29bc99ea181ff1df5823830187d30fc3.jpg

Are these worth flipping or should I just keep them for the box art?  

I don't see myself building them, I think I only bought them for nostalgia.  One of my first Macross kits was a Revel Orbot.  

What's left of it on the right:IMG_20200619_175617.jpg.3098ecf292d3ca848a7ced9b2b698cd3.jpg

IMG_20200619_180317.jpg.b2da86c1fe5c7b41454e2ed1dd06a5c3.jpg

Edited by peter
Edited for spelling

Thanks JVMacross! I'm not sure if I have that already, they don't show the cover.

Peter - The two right are of course 15th anniversary kits and the VF-1S is 1997. The box art doesn't bring much vs the Imai box art before they folded and Bandai got the molds. The Macross II kit can be hard to find. I would keep them, though re-issues, they're value keeps going up. By the way, the "Revell" Orbot was also my first Macross kit. I got that because it looked cool. Weeks later, Robotech came out on TV and I was hooked! - MT

18 hours ago, MechTech said:

Thanks JVMacross! I'm not sure if I have that already, they don't show the cover.

Peter - The two right are of course 15th anniversary kits and the VF-1S is 1997. The box art doesn't bring much vs the Imai box art before they folded and Bandai got the molds. The Macross II kit can be hard to find. I would keep them, though re-issues, they're value keeps going up. By the way, the "Revell" Orbot was also my first Macross kit. I got that because it looked cool. Weeks later, Robotech came out on TV and I was hooked! - MT

Good to know, thanks thanks :). I almost raided these kits for parts because I didn't have it in mind to build any of them.

I made a mess of my original Orbot, lol!  Looking back at it then and looking at Valks I build now.....I just realized I have a wierd obsession with gray Valkyries.

Edited by peter
Edited for spelling

7 hours ago, MechTech said:

The Revell kit was my first one, too!

• 1 month later...

Speaking of the Imai Hikaru VF-1J:  https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1113349275&ref=list&soldOut=1&categoryCode=02&keyword=Imai macross&lang=en

The condition is listed as "package heavily damaged" so YMMV.  I got an Imai Max VF-1J from Mandarake a couple of months ago and it was in great condition, even though it was listed as "package heavily damaged".

And also...apologies if the link doesn't work or I'm coming across as a noob--I am!  Just joined up and saw this topic--and as an owner of a few Imai 1/72 Valkyrie kits it definitely caught my eye.  I'm currently working on a VF-1A Bandai reissue of the Imai kit.

Edited by Scopedog84

10 hours ago, Scopedog84 said:

Speaking of the Imai Hikaru VF-1J:  https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1113349275&ref=list&soldOut=1&categoryCode=02&keyword=Imai macross&lang=en

The condition is listed as "package heavily damaged" so YMMV.  I got an Imai Max VF-1J from Mandarake a couple of months ago and it was in great condition, even though it was listed as "package heavily damaged".

And also...apologies if the link doesn't work or I'm coming across as a noob--I am!  Just joined up and saw this topic--and as an owner of a few Imai 1/72 Valkyrie kits it definitely caught my eye.  I'm currently working on a VF-1A Bandai reissue of the Imai kit.

Welcome to MW! I definitely have a soft spot for these original variable kits. Mandarake is pretty strict about their box grading, so even some minor dents or scratches on a kit that is more than 30 years old will cause them to downgrade its condition in a listing. With model kits in particular, given how they are packaged, I've come to accept that there will be damage of some sort. As long as the pieces are intact and the decals are fine, I'm good. :good:It's always nice to see the work of fellow fans, so please post pics of your VF-1A when it's done.

Welcome Scopedog! I hope to see your build in the models section! Doing just general model building, the "What's lying on your workbench" thread is not Macross specific. I hope to see you around! - MT