Reference Images for Bandai DX 1/48 VF-1X

Aztek

Does anyone have a high res version of the reference images/CAD drawings of the Bandai DX 1/48 VF-1?  I  found these in the forums and online but am looking for a higher res version to use in modifying my mesh.

24-4.jpg.580af40a6873e5058fdd91a6cd2088e0.jpg

Rodavan, that scan is from Variable Fighter Master File, and that book series is anything but canon.  Aside from the stealth configuration of the panel lines/joints/etc, the shape of such things as the hump behind the canopy and the engine nozzles are quite different from what the OP is asking for.

Aztek, as the VF-1X isn't visually substantially different from the initial VF-1, you could get away with using the original lineart from SDFM or DYRL.  However, if you're looking specifically for materials related to the Bandai DX 1/48 VF-1X, they might be exceedingly hard to come by...

Fingers crossed that someone who owns one will be able to enlighten us if the packaging came with anything!

Edited by sketchley

I just opened the one I purchased last night :) AMAZING toy.  My plan is to use my legacy 3DS Max files and convert them to STLs for 3D printing.  Recently rescaled my model to 1/20 but it’s largely based on the Hasegawa 1/72 lineart and my mods for articulation.   Super happy with the purchase of the Bandai 1/48.  I can upload the materials that came with it but I think it’s been uploaded before and without any good lineart.  Might be stuck with taking reference photos of the actual toy.

Also, sorry about the confusion.  I meant VF-1X, x being a variable, not the revision.  The VF-1J and VF-1S are the two released so far.  Still looking for better lineart for them!

Thank you!

Edited by Aztek

On 5/29/2020 at 6:56 PM, Aztek said:

Does anyone have a high res version of the reference images/CAD drawings of the Bandai DX 1/48 VF-1?  I  found these in the forums and online but am looking for a higher res version to use in modifying my mesh.

24-4.jpg.580af40a6873e5058fdd91a6cd2088e0.jpg

It doesn't quite line up with any publication I've checked so far... this may be their own original render.

The closest match is the line art in the first Variable Fighter Master File, but this is missing some details that are in that art and has some details that are noticeably different.  Like the front view in this pic has the intake covers closed, they're almost invariably drawn in the open position.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure those are pictures from a display that Bandai did for the DX VF-1 a while back, right before it came out (so like late 2017).  So you probably won't find much higher res, as it is just people taking pictures of a display.

Actual CAD probably exists at Bandai, but I doubt they will be releasing that to the public any time soon.

Is where they first start showing up.

Edited by HardlyNever