DRYL with English Subs on Youtube

On 5/7/2020 at 2:09 PM, MInsHairyLegs said:

Hey everyone!

Don't know if this has been posted anywhere before, and it probably has, but if anyone is having trouble finding it, this is the full DYRL movie with Eng Subs on youtube. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen it before, so this was a great little gem to find.

Apologies if this is redundant.

DRYL is BADASS!

Now go watch the DYRL TV Special!

On 5/7/2020 at 12:43 PM, Focslain said:

There is a channel that has ALL of macross on it and subbed in english. Just do a search and you'll find it. 

Using it right now to make my way thru 7

Here is the link to the mentioned Channel. Though be warned some of the series are missing some episodes, for example, Delta is missing Episodes Five and Fifteen.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:13 PM, deathzealot said:

Here is the link to the mentioned Channel. Though be warned some of the series are missing some episodes, for example, Delta is missing Episodes Five and Fifteen.

Thanks for posting the link...I finally took the time to watch the Macross Delta movie.  I liked the TV series better but that isn't saying much as I thought it was the weakest series in the franchise... ;)

On 5/9/2020 at 7:54 PM, jvmacross said:

Thanks for posting the link...I finally took the time to watch the Macross Delta movie.  I liked the TV series better but that isn't saying much as I thought it was the weakest series in the franchise... ;)

You are quite welcome! Honestly the only things I actually liked about the Movie was that Hayate was already a member of Xaos, that there is more then one Macross Elysion, and finally the duel between the two remaining ships at the final battle. The rest of the movie is okay but I much prefer the series itself.

Hmmm... you should at least watch the Movie's Final Battle. Having three Macross Elysion Class ships taking part was quite interesting in my opinion and the brief fight between the remaining two ships was even better then the "Aether Attack" from the Series in my opinion. Though it is not as good as the Macross Quarter literally surfing through the air in the last Frontier Movie. 

Those subs on that particular version of DYRL... leaves somethings to be desired. RAAk! De Bru Ah. One was clearly Luck in 1984 Japanese-speaking-English, the other her cursing. That probably why 6 peps Down Voted that video (but not me, FTR). I'm just surprised I'm allowed to even watch that? Is you-know-whom Not tending stock?

8 minutes ago, de_005 said:

If anyone is interested, here is a wide screen version. It surprised me when they integrated flashback at the end. That was a pleasant surprise.

Not all of it just the bit at the beginning with Minmei's concert. They don't show the Megaroad-01 Launching. Also. I have watched Flashback a couple times now and I never noticed that Minmei's supporting band members are actually full-sized Zentradi. Laughs.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 7:10 PM, de_005 said:

If anyone is interested, here is a wide screen version. It surprised me when they integrated flashback at the end. That was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks for sharing that link. That's a VERY clean copy! Is that from a Blu-ray release? I've got to add that to the re-watch rotation (currently almost done with Frontier).

Was this from The Clash of the Bionoids version of DYRL? You are right about the cleanliness. Something else about this... the explosions are newer sounding. Weapons fire are all classic macross but some sound effects sound new... Do subbers do that? change explosion sounds? I can't imagine the original makers doing that (they would have corrected the minor few errors on the original version)

Edited by TehPW
clarification

Can't be from the Bionoids version - I checked two missing sequences from that version and they are still there.  And unless Roy sounds like a drunken asian trying to sound like a Drunken Englishman trying to sound like a Drunken Texan it ain't Bionoids.

12 hours ago, TehPW said:

Was this from The Clash of the Bionoids version of DYRL? You are right about the cleanliness. Something else about this... the explosions are newer sounding. Weapons fire are all classic macross but some sound effects sound new... Do subbers do that? change explosion sounds? I can't imagine the original makers doing that (they would have corrected the minor few errors on the original version)

Looks like the "edited" version that took out or blurred out the "gore"....;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 7:10 PM, de_005 said:

IIRC, this is called the "Perfect Edition" or something like that.  Or, at least that was what the laser disc release was called back in the day.  I think they orginally intended to have a concert scene as the end scene, but didn't due to budget/time constraints I guess.  They ended up animated it for FB2012 and later put it into the laser disc release of DYRL.  I thought the end concert was put in all future releases on DVD and Blu-ray?  It's been a while since I watched any of the releases I have.  I like this ending the best as it's a very uplifting and happy ending.

I remember the original release ending with Minmay doing the “1,2,3,4...” then the spotlight fades and the camera fades before the credits rolled. 

the two BluRay releases (The ps3 “hybrid” BluRay and the later standalone BluRay) I have include the concert scene, though it cuts out after the camera pans over the Macross (and the song continues playing) just like the linked video. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2020 at 8:22 AM, TehPW said:

Man, the blu-ray anniversary release from some years back....I remember they blurred out and edited two "gory" scenes and I believe the audio was slightly altered since it was originally a mono track. Those things tend to happen when old animated films are brought back. Look at Gundam, when the films were released on DVD then again on Blu-ray, the audio track originally mono had to be touched up in order to used on modern televisions and sound systems giving a very out of place styling that didn't work well with the animation.

When I had worked on the fandub of DYRL back 10 years ago, I actually was able to rip a number of the sound effects and ambient tracks from the original Macross series and it was clearly Mono. So I went into Audacity on my end and I added the right channel to the left channel and cleaning up what I could thus turning the sounds from mono to stereo. Some sounds slipped by me though and I could hear it later after post going "DAMN! I screwed up there.......well I'm not going back!"