Looney Tunes Cartoons

sh9000

As a 44 year old red blooded American male who grew up watching Looney Tunes, loves them to death and owns and still watches all the DVD Golden Collections (which were unedited, but sadly FAAAR from being a complete library of all of them), I cringed when I first saw this topic.  After watching the trailer, though IF I had HBO Max, I would actually give it a chance, but the first woke/PC crap I see or hear it will get the immediate NOPE, DONE! 

Edited by derex3592

^That's not the fault of the comment(er), but a reflection of just how pervasive that particular crap is nowadays... once bitten, twice shy.  It's the sad and disappointing reality of current "entertainment" that one can't look at anything that comes out in this new paradigm without a major dose of skepticism and weariness.

Edit:  That being said, this does seem to have the classic vibe going.  It may end up being a case of putting its best foot forward in preparation for a major bait and switch, but, personally, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Edited by mechaninac

17 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Let's just be honest here, some of the original Looney Tunes jokes just won't fly today.

Hell, some entire CHARACTERS won't fly without a complete rewrite(lookin' at you, Pepe le Pew).

Whaaat? So we can't have a cross dressing rabbit that shoots audience members for coughing at his piano recital anymore? Lame.

6 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Whaaat? So we can't have a cross dressing rabbit that shoots audience members for coughing at his piano recital anymore? Lame.

Nope. The rabbit would have to drop an anvil on them instead. And he can only cross-dress sincerely. I realize this is about half of Bugs Bunny's repertoire, but...

And Speedy Gonzalez probably doesn't know EVERYBODY'S sister anymore. He probably isn't allowed to know ANYBODY'S sister.  ( I referenced that the other day, and the other guy thought I was making crap up. They wouldn't put that in a children's cartoon! )

On 4/25/2020 at 6:08 AM, JB0 said:

( I referenced that the other day, and the other guy thought I was making crap up. They wouldn't put that in a children's cartoon! )

For the record Looney Tunes wasn't a children's cartoon back when they first came out. They were very much the South Park of their day.

14 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

For the record Looney Tunes wasn't a children's cartoon back when they first came out. They were very much the South Park of their day.

South Park only wishes it was the Looney Tunes of today.  It is what you get when teenagers try to be philosophical.  

Losing Mel Blanc was a loss for the entire world.

I'm 48, and grew up watching Looney Tunes. As a teenager, the satire and self awareness of the humor began to dawn on me. Even in the late 70's, early 80's, some of the stuff in there had no relevance to me  (parodies of Cagney, Lorre, Bogart, and other stars of the 40's and 50's). My folks weren't movie watchers, so none of these people were known to me as a kid. It wasn't until I was in my twenties, when I started renting classic films (Thank you, Blockbuster. RIP), did I begin to understand and appreciate some of the caricatures in Looney Tunes. Of course, the slapstick, visual gags, catchphrases, etc all appealed to me from a young age, even if I didn't understand all the references made. One of the greatest aspects of the show was their decision to score it with classical music. My parents' idea of high culture was country music:bad:, so LT was my introduction to classical music, for which I'm ever grateful.

And yeah, Mel Blanc was the best. It takes a team of VA's today to do what he did virtually by himself. I saw a documentary on Mel; he almost wasn't the voice, but his persistence paid off. All these years later, and he's still considered the pinnacle of his art.

• 1 month later...