Macross Weathered Releases & DIY

DYRL VF-1S

5 hours ago, Corrinald said:

I love the Yamato Weathering editions in both 1/60 and 1/48.

I'm actually shocked by the difference between paint jobs...  :blink:

20170925_131857.jpg

Roy's VF-1S looks perfect, consistently dirty and realistic.  :good:

Hikaru's VF-1J looks like a goth vampire painted it up for Halloween.  <_<

I wonder how consistent these weathering jobs turned out...  Did all Roy's look as good as this one, or did it depend on who was doing the work?  Did all Hikaru's look as bad as this one, or was it just the "luck of the draw?"

There was surprisingly only a $30 USD difference between Ferry and DHL for my Buyee order.  It was only like $65 for both boxes shipping DHL so I took it.  (Just the Valk shows $119 for DHL on Manda via Sahara.)

I'm guessing I'll receive on Fri.  Might be need salve for any Thurs night Roy wounds.

5 hours ago, tekering said:

20170925_131857.jpg

I wonder how consistent these weathering jobs turned out...  Did all Roy's look as good as this one, or did it depend on who was doing the work?  Did all Hikaru's look as bad as this one, or was it just the "luck of the draw?"

Yeah, Roy's valky seems smooth and cool, Hikaru's valk seems too much weather effect. Hikaru's was released before Roy's, maybe Yamato improved the weathering effect later

We have to check on VF-1S Max DYRL because was the first special weathering version

16 hours ago, tekering said:

20170925_131857.jpg

Hikaru’s actually looks “pre-shaded”, where some initial weathering is laid down generously on the panel lines but meant to be painted over either with the base coat and/or brighter paint later instead of the excess being washed/wiped off.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Well, I just got in my Hikaru 1S, and the weathering on that looks much closer to the Roy 1S than the Hikaru 1J.

It's still sealed in the clamshell, and I haven't mustered the courage to pop it open yet. The canopy looks to be completely undamaged though.

20200702_111418.jpg.d6f710eab81aaf5b0a369dc855e409f9.jpg20200702_111424.jpg.fc59d89b91b0229789181eaf3716b825.jpg20200702_111531.jpg.e41fa0caa751400b9b238fe150c97d19.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 4/21/2020 at 3:43 PM, DYRL VF-1S said:

I really enjoy the weathering releases on Macross and Valks that have panel lines etc.  I also love the custom work that I see members doing here, so I thought I'd kick off a thread in honor of that.  Would love to talk about releases or for our talented members to share what they're working on. 

I might as well share my first weathering job in a few years. Only took battroid pics for now because that's how I ended up, doing fighter first, then transforming it to GERWALK to do the parts exposed in that mode, and then finally battroid to get the last bits still hidden. I'll wait a few more days for the clear coat to cure before transforming it to GERWALK and fighter modes so I can take pics of those.

50318513218_83ba3fc424_c.jpg

50319180361_53dca9a4d8_c.jpg

50319359367_60a79cb79e_c.jpg

50320564081_919d9ffff4_c.jpg

50320564176_881cf224b4_c.jpg

50320704511_90103d54de_c.jpg

Yamato and Arcadia versions side by side:

50320959267_d4763014ac_c.jpg

2 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I might as well share my first weathering job in a few years. Only took battroid pics for now because that's how I ended up, doing fighter first, then transforming it to GERWALK to do the parts exposed in that mode, and then finally battroid to get the last bits still hidden. I'll wait a few more days for the clear coat to cure before transforming it to GERWALK and fighter modes so I can take pics of those.

50318513218_83ba3fc424_c.jpg

50319180361_53dca9a4d8_c.jpg

50319359367_60a79cb79e_c.jpg

50320564081_919d9ffff4_c.jpg

50320564176_881cf224b4_c.jpg

50320704511_90103d54de_c.jpg

Yamato and Arcadia versions side by side:

50320959267_d4763014ac_c.jpg

Dayuuuuummm... Well done and thanks for sharing! So jealous of those that can do this.  Awesome work.

Looks great! Love the way you used the lighter effects on a dark hull. The snow weathering is a bit unwieldy and I can never get it to where I'm happy with it, but yours is perfect! 

I haven't even swapped out the legs with the fixed legs yet. :blink:

Edited by Lolicon

What a great weathered piece @MacrossJunkie! It's rare to see a black piece that really pops & stands out like that. :wub:

I for one love the SV-51's gangly battroid mode. Perhaps not as much if its the only valk around, but more as part of the large variety of valks Kawamori gave us over the years. Many are unique enough in its own way & stands out in my personal head cannon, and the SV-51 is really one of it! :good:

5 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Looks great! Love the way you used the lighter effects on a dark hull. The snow weathering is a bit unwieldy and I can never get it to where I'm happy with it, but yours is perfect! 

Thanks! I actually didn't use anything like the Tamiya weathering kits for this. If curious, most of the stuff I used were either Vallejo Mecha paints or the Oilbrushers, pigments and shaders from Ammo by MIG Jimenez.

I used a combination of medium grey and black Oilbrushers and airbrushing some shaders.  Medium Gray and white Oilbrushers were used for the boosters along with some polished metal and black pigments, along with airbrushing. A silver oilbrusher was used with some thinner for the panel lining and also drybrushed with a stencil brush for the scratch effects.  Orange and black shaders were used for the canopy. Silver and crystal blue were used to redo the lenses on the gunpod and the starboard tail fin light. silver and crystal red for the port side light.

I haven't even swapped out the legs with the fixed legs yet. :blink:

Yeah, neither did I. HLJ said they won't be shipping replacements to me until the situation with shipping to the US improves. :( Who knows when that would be so I just went ahead.

5 minutes ago, MKT said:

What a great weathered piece @MacrossJunkie! It's rare to see a black piece that really pops & stands out like that. :wub:

I for one love the SV-51's gangly battroid mode. Perhaps not as much if its the only valk around, but more as part of the large variety of valks Kawamori gave us over the years. Many are unique enough in its own way & stands out in my personal head cannon, and the SV-51 is really one of it! :good:

Thanks! I also like the SV-51's battroid. It's ugly and mean looking in a good way.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

20 hours ago, tekering said:

Great weathering, gorgeous photography, but such an ugly, awkward battroid...  :unsure:

Lol, I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that!

Yeah, great work on the weathering and the photography.....but the Valk itself is UAF, hahahaha!  Kawamori-san, stop self-medicating!

Is it easy to stand?  It looks really top heavy with those spindly legs and arms.

5 minutes ago, peter said:

Lol, I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that!

Yeah, great work on the weathering and the photography.....but the Valk itself is UAF, hahahaha!  Kawamori-san, stop self-medicating!

Is it easy to stand?  It looks really top heavy with those spindly legs and arms.

Pretty easy. The "feet" provide a wide base.

Worked on my DYRL Hikaru VF-1S. This was an Arcadia release and had the stupid pink hue. I think I mostly took care of that.

My first attempt at adding some subtle salt weathering into the mix. The weathering doesn't really seem to show up well in the thumbnails though.

Still need to get around to doing the FAST packs.

50331654846_cb70137a5d_c.jpg
50330974448_648bd0e75d_c.jpg
50331654751_fa350cf5b2_c.jpg
50331824222_67e824d54e_c.jpg
50330974343_b0c5c3b871_c.jpg
50331824057_b756ca6771_c.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

IMG_0666.jpg

Now THAT is what I would expect to see for "dirty" on a fighter that also goes rolling around in the dirt like a foot-slogging grunt!

She looks filthy, and I love it!

6 minutes ago, slide said:

Now THAT is what I would expect to see for "dirty" on a fighter that also goes rolling around in the dirt like a foot-slogging grunt!

She looks filthy, and I love it!

Haha right?! Thanks man.  I’m really stoked to have found the SSPs dirty weathered too!