My First Bit Of Custom Work - Painted SSP's

sqidd

I'm a mechanical kind of guy. Not a finish guy. This is the first time I have tried anything like this. They turned out OK. Thanks in part to advice I git here. I would do it a little differently next time. But that holds true about just about anything you do more than one.

Now that I know I can do this I need three more sets of SSP's!

Black SSP's for the Low Vis

IMG_6144.thumb.JPG.8cca2fcd2cfb49cd1421aa6217c31b76.JPGIMG_6145.thumb.JPG.ffa8a5342bb5f7419930daacc29da713.JPGIMG_6146.thumb.JPG.ec4ca9ab88787f4e6bf41a6dc64dc717.JPGIMG_6147.thumb.JPG.e877839d0dc80139b2e8db114483d47c.JPG

Edited by sqidd

“You’ve taken your first step into a larger world.”

Next thing you know, you’ll be weathering and panel-lining the Valks, and fabricating pieces to simulate battle damage. :D

52 minutes ago, Mog said:

“You’ve taken your first step into a larger world.”

Next thing you know, you’ll be weathering and panel-lining the Valks, and fabricating pieces to simulate battle damage. :D

Knowing me..........yes. I blow everything out of proportion.:p

I just ordered some Testors 1226 Flat Dark Aircraft Grey to do the next set of packs. Hopefully it lays down like the Tamiya paint did.

Dark Grey.png

1 minute ago, derex3592 said:

Don't be shocked  when it doesn't though buddy!  Testor's is NOT Tamiya spray paint! Test test test! (Speaks from experience!) 

Good heads up. Thank you:good:

I couldn't find any Tamiya flat gray.:(

At least I have that it's flat going for me. I'll practice with flats and matt paints for a while. i'm not ready for gloss.

7 hours ago, tekering said:

Yeah, I'd stick with the Japanese brands.  8)

Incidentally...

What happened there?

Actually, I don't know. I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out (kinda goes with the "hey, we just sprayed this thing 10min before we sent it into combat for this narrow role"). It's definitely paint. Must be a factory blem of something. It wasn't sealed when I got it. But is sure didn't look like it had ever been out of the box or handled.

7 hours ago, tekering said:

Yeah, I'd stick with the Japanese brands.  8)

I was trying to yesterday. I wasn't able to find a flat or matte gray that was slightly darker (or any flat/matte grey) than the Valk by Tamiya. Are you guys aware of something better than the Testors in flat preferably, matte second choice that is sorta like this gray?

Thanks!

Dark Grey.png

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

Are you guys aware of something better than the Testors in flat preferably, matte second choice that is sorta like this gray?

Dark Grey.png

Tamiya AS-16, Light Gray (USAF).

487518__28402.1580420881.jpg?c=2&imbypas

Close enough?  :p

7 hours ago, derex3592 said:

Tamiya AS Colors For Aircraft spray paint colors have some good greys, and if it's not flat, no worries, just hit it with a few coats of TS-80 flat clear. great stuff.  

Ohhhhhhh, tricky. I didn't know that was a thing. Thanks!

4 hours ago, tekering said:

Tamiya AS-16, Light Gray (USAF).

487518__28402.1580420881.jpg?c=2&imbypas

Close enough?  :p

Yep, close enough! Do you know if that is a matte finish?

This is a general question for everyone:

I haven't done much painting at all in my life. But, the little that I have I have felt I got much better results when I used a flat or matte opposed to a gloss. This could be a false positive though. Not many data points and a ton of other variables. Are matte/flat's easier to lay down in general? Or is this just something I have imagined? 

Thanks guys!

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

I got much better results when I used a flat or matte opposed to a gloss. This could be a false positive though.

It took years for me to learn about all the various types of paint -- enamels vs. acrylics, oil-based vs. water-based, lacquers, thinners, etc. -- and the variables concerning its application.  Results depend not only on the kind of paint, but also the brand, the age of the paint, the viscosity, mix ratios, and will vary greatly depending on the tools you're using and the environment you're working in.  Variations in temperature and humidity will affect paint application even in a sealed environment, and the better-ventilated your workspace is, the more factors come into play... and if you're painting outside, you'll never get the same results twice.  <_<

I'd assume your preference for a matte finish is because it hides surface imperfections, that would otherwise be visible as the light reflects off a painted surface.  If the surface isn't appropriately clean, or smooth, or there are dust particles in the air, or the paint is too thick, or the moisture is too high, or the temperature is too low, or there's not enough paint left in the can, or the air pressure isn't adequate, or your brush isn't clean, or the paint dries too quickly...  Well, suffice it to say, a dullcoat is always more forgiving than a glossy finish.

Personally, I use so many types of clear sealants for topcoats that the formulation of the underlying paints (flat, gloss, matte or semi-gloss) is irrelevant...

sealants.jpg.61d98f98734d3f0bb35038801f50454e.jpg

I just focus on getting the appropriate type of paint, in the right color.  ^_^

13 hours ago, tekering said:

It took years for me to learn about all the various types of paint -- enamels vs. acrylics, oil-based vs. water-based, lacquers, thinners, etc. -- and the variables concerning its application.  Results depend not only on the kind of paint, but also the brand, the age of the paint, the viscosity, mix ratios, and will vary greatly depending on the tools you're using and the environment you're working in.  Variations in temperature and humidity will affect paint application even in a sealed environment, and the better-ventilated your workspace is, the more factors come into play... and if you're painting outside, you'll never get the same results twice.

THIS is f*ckin gospel right here and should be committed to memory!!! 

Ho! Nice info there :) I was going to tell to avoid the TS-clear/matte coats because they have a tendency to react to anything that is not tamiya TS and AS paints. Like making bubbles and even worse.

I use cheaper acrylic coat in spray that I can found in car shops. So I can put how many layers I want to obtain a thick and glossy finish. 

But I am curious about the Mr hobby different cans you got @tekering, can you tell me what one does differently to the other ones? The super smooth one calls me!

Also another question to experts: I used in the past TS-47 spray from tamiya, it is called “chrome yellow” and I totally love it’s formula because you can spray a thicker layer of paint and it will “magically” self-level itself when drying: it was perfect to smooth any 3D print surface.  I would love the same behavior, with a clear coat. Does that even exist?

11 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

I am curious about the Mr hobby different cans you got @tekering, can you tell me what one does differently to the other ones?

Applying Mr. Super Clear Gloss gives you a smooth, even surface to apply waterslide decals onto.  Applying Mr. Super Clear Flat both protects those decals and blends the edges seamlessly, making them indistinguishable from pantography.  The premium topcoat is a sealant, applied after all the weathering and chipping is done.

Mr. Super Smooth Clear isn't as matte as the Super Clear Flat, but it results in a surface that looks like molded plastic.  I usually use it over hand-brushed surfaces (like drybrushed hair or skin tones) to give that toyetic factory-finish look... like these Kubricks:

1533688842_KubrickEwoks.jpg.b26ed04cae1738e4e7a6b4f78f97f420.jpg

Can you tell which figures are hand-painted customs, and which were manufactured by MediComToy?  :spiteful:

On 4/18/2020 at 7:15 AM, sqidd said:

I was trying to yesterday. I wasn't able to find a flat or matte gray that was slightly darker (or any flat/matte grey) than the Valk by Tamiya. Are you guys aware of something better than the Testors in flat preferably, matte second choice that is sorta like this gray?

Thanks!

Dark Grey.png

That looks like Flat Light Aircraft Grey; this chart may help: https://hobbylandbg.com/colourtable

On 4/18/2020 at 7:32 PM, tekering said:

It took years for me to learn about all the various types of paint -- enamels vs. acrylics, oil-based vs. water-based, lacquers, thinners, etc. -- and the variables concerning its application.  Results depend not only on the kind of paint, but also the brand, the age of the paint, the viscosity, mix ratios, and will vary greatly depending on the tools you're using and the environment you're working in.  Variations in temperature and humidity will affect paint application even in a sealed environment, and the better-ventilated your workspace is, the more factors come into play... and if you're painting outside, you'll never get the same results twice.  <_<

I'd assume your preference for a matte finish is because it hides surface imperfections, that would otherwise be visible as the light reflects off a painted surface.  If the surface isn't appropriately clean, or smooth, or there are dust particles in the air, or the paint is too thick, or the moisture is too high, or the temperature is too low, or there's not enough paint left in the can, or the air pressure isn't adequate, or your brush isn't clean, or the paint dries too quickly...  Well, suffice it to say, a dullcoat is always more forgiving than a glossy finish.

Personally, I use so many types of clear sealants for topcoats that the formulation of the underlying paints (flat, gloss, matte or semi-gloss) is irrelevant...

I just focus on getting the appropriate type of paint, in the right color.  ^_^

This is kind of why I didn't want to get into this. Not because I don't think I could get very god at it. But because I know myself enough to know that I never put just a toe in the water. I jump right in and swim to the bottom. Everything I do, I do to death. I can't stand going half arse. And of course you only have enough time in your life to do things. 

I do want to learn a few little things though. I can afford the time for that. 

Yes, you are correct that I like to spray flat/matte because it's way more forgiving when I'm laying it down with my not trained spray finger. I suppose simply slowing down and putting lighter coats on would go a long way to me getting an easy finish.

I actual wanted to use either Tamiya TS99 UN Gray or TS100 Semi Gloss Bright Gun Metal. I want the packs darker than the Valk. If you were to use one of these two paints what dull coat would you put over the top of them. I'm not sure what paint will tolerate what as far as top coats and so on. I will be building a mental database from here on out though.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, jenius said:

Ignoring the lack of space trees to blend in with, it looks great! Gotta put an angry woodpecker in that kite circle. 

Flying through space to a planet with trees?:unknw:

Yes, a angry woodpecker would be perfect!:good:

2 hours ago, jenius said:

Ignoring the lack of space trees to blend in with, it looks great! Gotta put an angry woodpecker in that kite circle. 

If you think it’s crazy to find trees in space, well not too far fetched when you know M7 had more absurdity with whales.

:shok:

8 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

@sqidd -- Pro-Tip-- If you're feeling brave, mask off and spray just the tips of the cannons with a shiny silver, steel or gun metal color... It ads SO much for not much work! 

@jvmacross -- How about a mean looking wolverine for the SSP's? Little Red Dawn homage...B))

The possibilities are endless!  I was just going off of my "Angry Beaver" woodland camo theme....but yeah....anything that goes with the the camo theme would look cool!

How about going with the classic "skull" theme....this time using a Buck Skull in keeping with the "woodland" theme...

large.980072243_headhunters4.jpg.bcadcb0

large.1067724818_headhunters3.jpg.d71800

large.52281163_headhunters2.jpg.6ecfcfc7

large.1739911558_headhunters1.jpg.00c34e

9 hours ago, derex3592 said:

@sqidd -- Pro-Tip-- If you're feeling brave, mask off and spray just the tips of the cannons with a shiny silver, steel or gun metal color... It ads SO much for not much work! 

It took me 48 years to learn how to paint one color. And you want me to add another? I'll be dead first!:p

That's looking good Sqidd! Don't sweat the painting. It just take a little practice. Thanks Tekering for posting all that on the Mr. Hobby stuff. I haven't used that stuff, but considered it. - MT

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this one has been very frustrating. Bandai glued the strike cannon hinge together differently than the last two sets I modded. I ended up breaking the Strike cannon pulling it apart. I ended up being able to fix it but it's a couple steps behind the rest of the parts at this point. But worse of all, when I went to pop the arm armors on three of the four tabs (2 arms) broke right off.  I hope that it's because they're old and were stored wrong and not that the paint process did something to the plastic. I just started to paint another set. If they pop on without breaking the tabs off I'm going with the original set was brittle.

The grey I used with some flat clear coat hit really close to the Low Vis color. I don't think I'm getting closer than that. The difference looks way more dramatic in the pic. And I'm OK with them being a smidge darker. It's a military "aircraft" loaded up with mission specific parts that could have come out of inventory at a random point and been used a number of undetermined times. They probably wouldn't match perfectly in real life. I do need to do some of the sparse weathering that is on the Valk at some point. I have supplies inbound. I'm going to practice on my broken arm armors.

I need to paint the small missile doors at the angry end of the boosters black. I'm not sure the best way to attack that. Tape them off? How would I get the radius's at the corners in there with tape? Cut very carefully with a utility knife as to get just the tape and not mat the finish??? I don't think I have a steady enough brush hand to go free hand.

I'm going to need water slides. I'm thinking white skulls for the boosters with either a clear background or no background would be easiest. Matching the "blue/gray" from the Valks kite on the wing and tips of the tails would be cool and using that as a background for white skulls. I don't know where I would get those or match the blue/grey though. Any ideas? I need white UN Spacey water slides for the leg armors (like what I painted over). I can't imagine those are hard to get a hold of. If you guys have somewhere you could point me I really appreciate it.

I'm learning things the hard way a bit over here.:D

I think it looks pretty cool though!!

Low Vis W packs.jpg