Giant robot sci-fi actioner ‘Bravestorm’ hits U.S. DVD in April

fifbeat

This goes in the Anime or Science Fiction forum since it's non Macross.  The description for this section is "Discussions on Macross series and movies characters and themes"

4 hours ago, wmkjr said:

This goes in the Anime or Science Fiction forum since it's non Macross.  The description for this section is "Discussions on Macross series and movies characters and themes"

Sorry about that. Thanks for moving it. :)

I guess this movie isn't getting much or any press.  No score on Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritic hasn't even heard of it.  If you're not going to venture out in search of a store that'll actually carry the DVD, it is available to rent or buy digitally on Amazon (and only Amazon).

Kind of surprised Netflix didn't snatch it up and bill it as a Netflix original.  I tell ya, really good originals like Stranger Things and BoJack Horseman have kept me from canceling Netflix, but the dearth of garbage "originals" they're spending their money on as they lose the licenses to a bunch of shows to Hulu and all the networks trying to start their own streaming services has me thinking about it.  But I guess that's a rant for a different topic.

It's a dumb kids movie, with a nonsensical time-travel plot (and writers that obviously don't understand what a "time paradox" is), but the production values are surprisingly high -- by Japanese standards -- and the performances have a kind of charming sincerity most Hollywood genre junk doesn't.

1123390343_goofykids.jpeg.d0dfbc3e3f2880d9180dc6491618f68b.jpeg

Unfortunately, the mundane modern-day setting only hurts the story...

1099886400_mundanesetting.jpg.fb43a119306ae3f5e8e39986e99a33bb.jpg

...and the effects get worse as the film progresses.

1878974719_pooreffects.jpeg.b71b9d7715cd5dbb30cd5d850b22940a.jpeg

825894088_terriblecomposite.jpeg.59f79f50281229e26ef2383da61616c3.jpeg

The designs are deliberately '70s throwbacks...

870026832_throwbackrobot.jpeg.ab3fc7c46a4526d5002b0604dd5cc5a8.jpeg

...for better or worse.

1543318048_uglysuitdesign.jpeg.753e84b9b8d913492d0df14f64b9ba2b.jpeg

Mercifully, it's only 80 min. long.

52 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Kind of a mix of Robot Jox and Pacific Rim.

More Power Rangers than Pacific Rim, I'd say.  <_<

162287536_powerofjustice.jpg.193716f64d8e922030706bc050b97071.jpg

30 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Mutants, cyborgs, big robots, kaiju- all ingredients for a fun watch.

And of course, the ubiquitous "young girl with psychic powers" trope.  :unknw:

Ugh, the mention of Power Rangers dampens my enthusiasm appreciably; I was never a fan of that schlock. I might give it a watch if it plays on a free pay-per-view weekend, but I won't go actively seeking it out. Funny how Japanese live-action sci-fi almost always seems to be presented as kiddie fare compared to a lot of more mature anime. I'm guessing that's a cultural bias, similar to American sci-fi in the 50's-60's. 

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Ugh, the mention of Power Rangers dampens my enthusiasm appreciably; I was never a fan of that schlock. I might give it a watch if it plays on a free pay-per-view weekend, but I won't go actively seeking it out. Funny how Japanese live-action sci-fi almost always seems to be presented as kiddie fare compared to a lot of more mature anime. I'm guessing that's a cultural bias, similar to American sci-fi in the 50's-60's. 

To be fair this movie is a reboot of two live action tokusatsu shows from the 60-70s that were aimed at kids, Silver Mask and Mach Robot Red Baron. I've never seen Silver Mask, but I've seen quite a bit of the original Red Baron and it's own anime remake from the 90s. Neither really took themselves too seriously.

Edited by renegadeleader1

1 hour ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Seeing the trailer with the blocky mecha made reminisce of R.A.D. for ye olde Playstation 2. 

Why is it that I remember absolutely nothing about that game save for the fact that "R.A.D." is an acronym for "Robotic Alchemic Drive?"

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Why is it that I remember absolutely nothing about that game save for the fact that "R.A.D." is an acronym for "Robotic Alchemic Drive?"

Good question. I remember the scattershot voice-acting that ranged from "shonen hero" to "can't act and shouts into the microphone".

Also the awesome immersive control scheme, and I genuinely mean that. 

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Also the awesome immersive control scheme, and I genuinely mean that. 

Yes! Perfect RC-like controls for a giant super robot. You just had to move your main character so they could see if their mech was close enough for melee combat.

The Red Baron over there particularly reminds me of the RAD mech that transforms into a land vehicle of some sort.

2 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Yes! Perfect RC-like controls for a giant super robot. You just had to move your main character so they could see if their mech was close enough for melee combat.

The Red Baron over there particularly reminds me of the RAD mech that transforms into a land vehicle of some sort.

Gllang, the Castlekeep. If I recall.

On 4/12/2020 at 1:07 PM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Seeing the trailer with the blocky mecha made reminisce of R.A.D. for ye olde Playstation 2. 

Totally Meganite!

"Miss Yui Tsukioka, please report to Senjo City Centre now ...the Trillennium Committee needs your help!"