Japan Post suspension of international mail

pafy6285

1 minute ago, jenius said:

I haven't heard anything about surface either. Returned packages are generally being held by companies with the expectation that they'll try mailing it again.... some day. I imagine these places have essentially cleared out a room at the business and are just throwing all the returned boxes in there for now.

Thanks for the reply. I hope my surface package will arrive eventually.

It must be quite a problem for these companies. Sometimes it is not easy to find extra storage to hold these packages for an unknown period of time.

What is the general policy for retry mailing a package? Do you have to pay for the postage a second time?

37 minutes ago, kkx said:

Thanks for the reply. I hope my surface package will arrive eventually.

It must be quite a problem for these companies. Sometimes it is not easy to find extra storage to hold these packages for an unknown period of time.

What is the general policy for retry mailing a package? Do you have to pay for the postage a second time?

Im hoping the initial amount paid was credited back. 

I was just assuming nothing was credited back and that the packages will simply be re-accepted when the service becomes available again. One day JapanPost will say "Okay, we're doing that service again" and then everyone will start emptying their store room of all the packages that were returned. I suspect that JapanPost will have to turn it on very slow if they go that route, like limiting each customer to only a few packages each day. After all, international tourism isn't about to shoot way up again any time soon.

Edited by jenius

11 hours ago, borgified said:

Another question to ask here.

Who has received or yet to receive their order by using EMS? I don't mind the three week (or longer) wait for shipping from Amiami via EMS on a pre-owned item (not paid yet as it's due on the 30th).      

Have two packages inbound via EMS. Order 1 shipped on 4/10 (NGO) with last scan the following day at the airport. Order 2 shipped on 4/9 (TYO) and last scan was on same day when received by JPost. I'm thinking they are likely still in Japan.

Edited by Vertex

I have a package that shipped the 15th and it's been stuck at Acceptance ever since.  I'd be less pissed if CDJapan hadn't sent me a message yesterday offering to ship via FedEx and DHL when those asses have denied my request to do that for YEARS.  They just waited until after this was stuck to start doing it.

Just did a Mandy order for two sets of Yamato 1/48 SSP's and a DX YF-30. So not a small box. Shipping was $111.88 DHL. All things considering not horrible. That's a BIG box and comes out to $37/ unit to ship. I have to think that it costs at least $37 to ship a single set of SSP's EMS.

So, the tick is getting a a few items if you're going to make an order.

45 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Just did a Mandy order for two sets of Yamato 1/48 SSP's and a DX YF-30. So not a small box. Shipping was $111.88 DHL. All things considering not horrible. That's a BIG box and comes out to $37/ unit to ship. I have to think that it costs at least $37 to ship a single set of SSP's EMS.

I had two yammie's 1/48 shipped in a single box in February via EMS and the cost was 7.3k. So it was about $34 per unit - close to what you're estimating.

Edited by Vertex

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

Guess I'm just not used to that. I get pissy for anything over 10 dollars in shipping :p

These shipping companies must love it when foreigners buy things from Japan 

Edited by LRS

25 minutes ago, LRS said:

Guess I'm just not used to that. I get pissy for anything over 10 dollars in shipping :p

These shipping companies must love it when foreigners buy things from Japan 

How do you get a Valk shipped from Japan for $10?

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

How do you get a Valk shipped from Japan for $10?

You don't. That's why I'm not used to it. I typically don't buy anything from Japan...until I rediscovered this hobby.  

New update from Japan Post: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0423_01.html

Announcement and PDF is still in Japanese (no English yet), but as per https://myfigurecollection.net/blog/45426 ,EMS and Airmail to US for example is also now suspended (Canada not in the updated list yet). Also, it seems that EMS packages going to the US that's already received by Japan Post will be sent though delayed (up to 4 months, first in first out). 

1 hour ago, pafy6285 said:

New update from Japan Post: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2020/0423_01.html

Announcement and PDF is still in Japanese (no English yet), but as per https://myfigurecollection.net/blog/45426 ,EMS and Airmail to US for example is also now suspended (Canada not in the updated list yet). Also, it seems that EMS packages going to the US that's already received by Japan Post will be sent though delayed (up to 4 months, first in first out). 

Oh. My. God

I might as well keep the DHL shipping method that Amiami has originally offered to me for my pre-previous owned item. Going to make the full payment in within 36 hours with hope that it gets shipped out before complete total lockdown.

As much as don't like paying Custom Fees, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and accept the fate. -_-   

3 hours ago, pafy6285 said:

Yes.  The #1 section details the countries affected by the "EMS and Airmail" suspension.   The #2 section details the countries affected by "All postal items" suspension.

So, if I'm understanding it correctly, if one's country is in list #1, one could conceivably still receive surface mail.

Incidentally, there's also a note that countries that have been added this time to the list released on 04/10 are indicated with bold & underlined text.  Canada is on neither list, USA and the US Virgin Islands has been added to list #1.

On 4/22/2020 at 3:26 AM, Vertex said:

Have two packages inbound via EMS. Order 1 shipped on 4/10 (NGO) with last scan the following day at the airport. Order 2 shipped on 4/9 (TYO) and last scan was on same day when received by JPost. I'm thinking they are likely still in Japan.

Mine has been with japan post via ems since 4/4 and no sign of it leaving japan and its almost the end of the third week since its been there. This corvid is really messing up everything. By the way my item is supposed to ship to Singapore which they have indicated that they are still shipping to. The only problem is, according to my pilot friend, there is not enough flights going to and from japan these days to get all the parcels shipped.

5 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

From Mandarake's site updated today.

United States of America
DHL: Available
EMS: X
SAL: X
AIR: X

Yeah, the shipping section in their order workflow for US customers is now just a single field where you can enter a comment. You don't even get an estimate for what DHL costs when you choose SAHRA as the location, where they normally calculate that on the fly because the stock is guaranteed to be on hand. If I find an item at another branch that I want, I often put a similar one in my cart from SAHRA so I can get a sense for what the shipping will cost. No luck this time. You don't find out until you actually place your order, regardless of location.

Just got a response back from NY. Already paid 50ish dollars for the original shipping I chose earlier. And now they want to add an additional 40 or so. 

Note this is first the PF VF-0D. So things, by May 31st may be back to a few more options by that time.

20200423_195434.jpg