Japan Post suspension of international mail

pafy6285

Update on the shipping on my side of things.

Manda has upgraded my shipping from EMS to DHL after I sent them a email (last night) about changing the method used due to the Suspension Notice and mentioned that I have not made the confirmation yet and will pay the difference (within 12 hours).

Here's the final result as follows:

------------------------------------------------------------
Subtotal: 16,000 yen
Shipping Fee: 4,350 yen
Grand Total: 20,350 yen

Shipping Method:
DHL EXPRESS WORLDWIDE
The order will be sent in 1 box(es).

So that means from a 3,700 yen via EMS shipping to 4,350 yen DHL shipping, I'm taking no chances however I'll be nabbed with Customs when it reaches into Canadian soil.

Hopefully that you can get the HMR Regult when this whole worldwide situation is over @DYRL VF-1S.   

Edit: Payment made to Manda and received the email via PP.

Edited by borgified

Not sure what is going to happen now. Japan has new travel restrictions for people coming into Japan from the United States and a few other countries. I heard it earlier in the day so I don't remember all the details. 

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

Do they give you the option to change to DHL?

4 hours ago, DewPoint said:

Not sure what is going to happen now. Japan has new travel restrictions for people coming into Japan from the United States and a few other countries. I heard it earlier in the day so I don't remember all the details. 

Yeah, I'm not sure that I want to change it to DHL to be honest.  I had ordered the Regult Missile type and not the end of the world if I don't get it.  I can find it again when the world normalizes a bit.

I'm more concerned about the SSPs I ordered from NY.  Thankfully, I had selected EMS almost a year ago when I ordered but even that is shaky right now.

FYI, NY responded to my ticket.  They are, in fact, allowing me to change the shipping method on the DX SSP.  Right now my only options are EMS or ferry, but I asked about DHL or UPS.  We'll see what they say.

Of course, we still don't when they'll actually receive the product, much less send it out. 

25 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

FYI, NY responded to my ticket.  They are, in fact, allowing me to change the shipping method on the DX SSP.  Right now my only options are EMS or ferry, but I asked about DHL or UPS.  We'll see what they say.

Of course, we still don't when they'll actually receive the product, much less send it out. 

Good update.  ATM, I feel a little more confident about DHL.  If they come back with that as an option, please let us know.  I have EMS but would rather do DHL since it is a global company.

14 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

NY will charge you an arm and a leg for UPS. 

17 minutes ago, Sandman said:

So if your items are at the post office already, it’s too late to change the shipping option?

Sorry... Your crap out of luck most likely. :sorry: 

If EMS: It's going to be a very long time before it gets sent out. 

SAL: Not going to touch it.

Only DHL and providing that you followed what I did at the top this page.  

On 4/4/2020 at 12:46 AM, Mommar said:

NY will charge you an arm and a leg for UPS. 

NY responded, and they did indeed want a stupid amount of money for UPS (11,064 yen).  They didn't list DHL as an option.

So I just switched to EMS, at like half the cost.  I know that means I might not see these things this year, but I'm not paying that kind of shipping for this.

4 hours ago, Rein+ said:

So anybody here know whats gonna happen to our order when we don't send NY any ticket to change the shipping method?

Will they stop sending our order until this mess over? 

Suspend your shipping til the whole mess is over. 

Edit: Even if you change it right now, EMS is delayed and DHL shipping from NY will cost you a fortune or your first born kid. SAL is not even an option as per Japanpost. 

Edited by borgified

Shipping by boat takes about 2-3 months to receive your items . So with ems still in backlog,  and if there is not much delay on boat shipping, then that might be a more economical way to go for if you are planing to ship some big and heavier items . 

Looks like schools in the State of Washington will remain closed for the rest of the year. I'm sure it will be the same for the rest of the states.

I'm again hearing rumblings within the medical community that in the US at least, isolation will be lengthened as well. 

I might not get my valks for a long time indeed.

Edited by LRS

2 hours ago, LRS said:

Looks like schools in the State of Washington will remain closed for the rest of the year. I'm sure it will be the same for the rest of the states.

I'm again hearing rumblings within the medical community that in the US at least, isolation will be lengthened as well. 

Don't you have other hobbies? Getting your valks with a long delay is not the end of the world. 

Isolation might be longer if a second wave is reported. I know that people are whining about when can they get back to their pre-virus way of life, however it's not certain when and how long when this will be over completely. 

40 minutes ago, borgified said:

Don't you have other hobbies? Getting your valks with a long delay is not the end of the world. 

Isolation might be longer if a second wave is reported. I know that people are whining about when can they get back to their pre-virus way of life, however it's not certain when and how long when this will be over completely. 

Personally, I’m enjoying fixing up my displays. I was able to add another case and 4 Legend Studio cases (great price on eBay for gently used) before things really clamped down. And Yeti Stands should be shipping tomorrow!

All I have waiting in limbo is an HMR Missile Regult. I’m not worried about that. However , I’m a bit anxious about my 5 SSPs  with NY cuz NY isn’t really known for super  accommodating customer service if something goes wrong. But I happened to do EMS so I guess it’ll great here eventually.

51 minutes ago, borgified said:

Certainly I have other hobbies. If I made it seem like receiving my valks with a long delay is overly important in the grand scheme of things then I apologize, because it’s not. I only mention it here because, well, this is MW. No one else I know cares or has even heard of this hobby. But I am excited to have rediscovered this hobby. 
As for things returning to back to normal, it won’t. This pandemic will have lasting ramifications on how we will conduct our lives, at least in the US. What shape those ramifications take only time will tell. Covid isn’t going anywhere. It is far to contagious to isolate. I’ve lost two patients to covid already. I’ll be lucky if I don’t lose more. 

23 minutes ago, LRS said:

Certainly I have other hobbies. If I made it seem like receiving my valks with a long delay is overly important in the grand scheme of things then I apologize, because it’s not. I only mention it here because, well, this is MW. No one else I know cares or has even heard of this hobby. But I am excited to have rediscovered this hobby. 
As for things returning to back to normal, it won’t. This pandemic will have lasting ramifications on how we will conduct our lives, at least in the US. What shape those ramifications take only time will tell. Covid isn’t going anywhere. It is far to contagious to isolate. I’ve lost two patients to covid already. I’ll be lucky if I don’t lose more. 

Are you a doctor? If so.... I have this pain in my wrist.

I think all other forms of shipping are unfortunately not safe from delay other than DHL/Fed Ex. I had 3 different shipments from Manda and CDJ using DHL and there were no issues. If the difference isn't that great and you want it, these 2 are the better options.

3 minutes ago, eXis10z said:

I think all other forms of shipping are unfortunately not safe from delay other than DHL/Fed Ex. I had 3 different shipments from Manda and CDJ using DHL and there were no issues. If the difference isn't that great and you want it, these 2 are the better options.

Good advice. But I’ve stopped all future purchases....unless there’s a crazy DX preorder.

3 hours ago, LRS said:

Kind of pissed as a parent. My son is graduating this year and isnt walking.  Nor of course are any seniors. But, I get it. And understand why its needed for now.

What I wont get is a slow creep towards suspension or absolute grabs of civil liberties. Already some states walking the line. 

38 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

Kind of pissed as a parent. My son is graduating this year and isnt walking.  Nor of course are any seniors. But, I get it. And understand why its needed for now.

What I wont get is a slow creep towards suspension or absolute grabs of civil liberties. Already some states walking the line. 

I was wondering whether students would graduate or if they would repeat the grade next year. Are you sure his class is graduating?

i have a child in kindergarten and after speaking to the superintendent, she is of the mind that all students will repeat the year. 

Edited by LRS

1 minute ago, LRS said:

I was wondering whether students would graduate or if they would repeat the grade next year. Are you sure his class is graduating?

Yeah. Both my kids are now continuing thier education via online. It took my states educators to build the curriculum,  but they started this week. Behind 2 weeks, not 3 because 1 was spring break. Not sure how other states are doing it. The year will be lengthened, or Summer vacation shortened. Same thing.

But looking at the projected trends, it would appear that this may be here for quit some time, having "flare ups." Each one lower then the last, but possibly years.

Just now, Alphahorizon said:

Yeah. Both my kids are now continuing thier education via online. It took my states educators to build the curriculum,  but they started this week. Behind 2 weeks, not 3 because 1 was spring break. Not sure how other states are doing it. The year will be lengthened, or Summer vacation shortened. Same thing.

But looking at the projected trends, it would appear that this may be here for quit some time, having "flare ups." Each one lower then the last, but possibly years.

Yes, I agree with those projections. Assuming this isolation is lifted and people are allowed to return to work, there could be future quarantines as well with each flare up. 

well it’s not the like the universities are up and running either so no visiting campuses and what not so I suppose there isn’t a rush. 

1 hour ago, LRS said:

I’ve lost two patients to covid already. I’ll be lucky if I don’t lose more. 

Sorry to hear that. And thank you for being on the front line. Hopefully, rediscovering this hobby gives some relaxation when you can.

4 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

Yeah. Both my kids are now continuing thier education via online.

My kiddo in Kindergarten is finishing the school year online as well.

This may very well dynamically change much of the old institutions as we know it. I know the universities wont be happy about it. Especially the "prestigious" ones.

I mean we live in a digitally connected world. If it can be determined to be safer, less interrupted, and cheaper. More people will want to go that route anyways. It would also allow for more freedom of working and working homework around those hours.

And what DYRL VF-1S  said. Its great to finally get past all this plastic garbage and appreciate the heroes this world has taken for granted for far to long. Stay healthy, and stay safe out there. If we start to lose our medical professionals, we are F'd!

Edited by Alphahorizon

38 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Sorry to hear that. And thank you for being on the front line. Hopefully, rediscovering this hobby gives some relaxation when you can.

Thank you. That was kind. I'm in Washington state but we haven't been offered online classes here. I'm not too stressed about it since the stuff they are having kindergarteners do today I didnt do till I was in first grade. 

37 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

This may very well dynamically change much of the old institutions as we know it. I know the universities wont be happy about it. Especially the "prestigious" ones.

I mean we live in a digitally connected world. If it can be determined to be safer, less interrupted, and cheaper. More people will want to go that route anyways. It would also allow for more freedom of working and working homework around those hours.

And what DYRL VF-1S  said. Its great to finally get past all this plastic garbage and appreciate the heroes this world has taken for granted for far to long. Stay healthy, and stay safe out there. If we start to lose our medical professionals, we are F'd!

I do believe we will be seeing a lot more working from home in the corporate/office world as well. Many jobs dont require people to be present at the office. 

This will have ramifications concerning childcare in the US as well. This has caused people to realize how dependent they are on childcare (including schools) while both parents are working. I know we are having staffing shortages because caregivers have to stay home to take care of their kids. So with schools being out for the year...

I'm just wondering how our society coul be changed. 9-11 made serious changes to how airports operate. Could covid cause a resurgence in private tutors or nannies instead of group schooling or childcare?  

A friend of mine made an interesting observation, those workers which are deemed essential and still have to work ( groceries, childcare, medical, sanitation, etc) are the least well paid. What does that say about our society? 

Edited by LRS

3 hours ago, eXis10z said:

I'll vouch for DHL. Not much more expensive than EMS for me for items from HLJ and they get to my doorstep in like two days flat instead of the roughly week long trip for EMS. Notably the last shipment was just at the end of last month and it arrived with no issues either.

Edited by Atheonyirh

5 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

How do you play with blocks and eat paste online?:p

5 hours ago, LRS said:

I do believe we will be seeing a lot more working from home in the corporate/office world as well. Many jobs dont require people to be present at the office. 

This will have ramifications concerning childcare in the US as well. This has caused people to realize how dependent they are on childcare (including schools) while both parents are working. I know we are having staffing shortages because caregivers have to stay home to take care of their kids. So with schools being out for the year...

I'm just wondering how our society coul be changed. 9-11 made serious changes to how airports operate. Could covid cause a resurgence in private tutors or nannies instead of group schooling or childcare?  

A friend of mine made an interesting observation, those workers which are deemed essential and still have to work ( groceries, childcare, medical, sanitation, etc) are the least well paid. What does that say about our society? 

An interesting point. Are we going to find out as a society that we don't need services that we thought we needed in the past? This could dynamically change the "operating system" that American currently work with dramatically. IMO home schooling is a good thing if you can afford it.

-Retail/brick and mortar and restaurants are going to take a hit for a long time.

-A lot of businesses are now starting to deliver that as an industry didn't before. All of our local dispensaries deliver now. Not that I know anything about that.

-Even more people will be using Amazon (it's time to break that monopoly up).

-I'm seeing things like bicycle shops now being open, but by appointment only. Do the shop owners find they like operating more like that?

-Do people come to realize that online schooling (college) is less time consuming and less expensive? Is the long term effect of this that tuition across the board drops and the big schools take a hit (it's about time)?

-When is the next time anyone is going to a concert or a movie?

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

-Do people come to realize that online schooling (college) is less time consuming and less expensive? Is the long term effect of this that tuition across the board drops and the big schools take a hit (it's about time)?

I can speak about the last one, anecdotally.  I've been on the campus of a higher ed institution for the past 20 or so years (first as a student/grad student, then as faculty).  Online learning has been the "thing that will change everything" in higher ed for... about 15 years now.  And it just never happened.  Physical, on-campus enrollment has increased to some degree or another at every institution I've been at for the past 20 years (some by a lot, some by a little).  And that has always brought more construction, more dorms, etc.

Don't get me wrong, online class enrollment has grown too.  Every institution I have been at has seen increases in online enrollment as well.  But the physical enrollment has kept pace, and often surpassed it.  My wife works as an elementary school teacher, and I can tell you that online learning is not working out too well for her class.  Sure, at lot of it is the ad hoc nature in which this all happened, but there are still a lot of things that don't work as well in a virtual environment.  If online learning does in fact become the new-norm (and I doubt it will in the next decade or so), we're going to need better tools across the board.

All that said, colleges and universities across the US were expecting slight decreases in enrollment over the next few years before the COVID-19 pandemic.  That is mainly due to demographic shifts (less college-aged people in the coming generation).  How this will affect enrollment beyond that, no one really knows.

And that's the take-away from all this.  We're in uncharted territory.  No one knows how this will shake out in terms of changing how things operate.  We know we'll see changes, but it's just impossible to predict which changes are permanent, which are temporary, and what changes we'll have to make that haven't even happened yet.

I order something from hobby search on the 2nd of april shipped by EMS. The item has been sitting at tokyo int since 4th of april till now with no change of status. As i reside in Singapore and my country was not on the list I thought I was safe. I guess corvid is wrecking havoc with all shipping