Best of Yamato, Arcadia, and Bandai

Foblander

Best toy

Yamato: 1/60 VF-1S (Roy or Hikaru) weathered version with strike pack

Arcadia: SDF-1 PF versione

Bandai: VF-31S with armored parts

Favourite toy:

Yamato: 1/48 VF-1A low vis

Arcadia: 1/60 VF-0D weathering version ( i know it's not out yet and we have no idea when it will be but i can't stop looking at the pictures...)

Bandai: YF-19 or VF-19 advance

Since I haven’t purchased enough of these companies’ toys to pass a judgment on best, I’ll have to list only my favorites:

Yamato:  YF-21 (never bought the 1/60 Version 2 VF-1’s)

Arcadia:  Never purchased any.

Bandai:  SOC Golion. :p

. . . Never specified it had to be Macross-related!

2 hours ago, Froy said:

No one on the Yamato 1/60 VF-11?

It's a fabulous toy, but the color's wrong.  The VF-11B should be an IJN gray, something like this...

828485557_SuperThunderboltfighter.thumb.jpg.d2692369e8632a3ab54bb7d24a56137e.jpg

...but Yamato's is more of an ocean gray, with a lavender tint to it.  :huh:

VF-11B.thumb.jpg.69c039a122cf61c4a0fe9cf1d70411d8.jpg

this is a fun topic, but i'm more apt to pick my favorites than whats actually "objectively" best and i'm heavily biased towards the SDFM/DYRL stuff but here goes

Yamato:  1/48 Vf-1J Stealth  - yeah, see they made tons of "better" toys but you couldn't pry this one away ever. too bad i never go tthe low vis or else that would be my favorite most likely.  yes the 1/60 v2 is way way better overall, and the SDF-1 was their masterpiece IMO but yeah its hard with yamato!

Arcadia:  VF-0S

Bandai:  DX Chogokin Vf-1J

28 minutes ago, jenius said:

There was at least one CF VF-1S in the series but that's the only other one I can think of. 

Really? Got an episode number for that? I never noticed this. 

Plus there was that orguss  vf-1, VF-X-4, and the VEFR-1 that was never released. 

Edited by LRS

11 hours ago, Froy said:

No one on the Yamato 1/60 VF-11? Probably the best designed valk from that era. VF-1 v.2 came to fix some things after the 1/48 scale.

The 1/60 VF-11 from Yamato is solid as well :) If there ever is a refresh, I hope they improve the ankle/feet area and make the legs heavier. Just a personal preference.

18 minutes ago, LRS said:

Really? Got an episode number for that? I never noticed this. 

Plus there was that orguss  vf-1, VF-X-4, and the VEFR-1 that was never released. 

I don't, hopefully somebody else chimes in, I believe it's quite visible in the the second arch of the show (the rebuilding) at some point but I'd guess eagle eyes would catch it in earlier episodes also.

4 hours ago, jenius said:

I don't, hopefully somebody else chimes in, I believe it's quite visible in the the second arch of the show (the rebuilding) at some point but I'd guess eagle eyes would catch it in earlier episodes also.

I usually re-watch SDFM around once a year.  Can't say I recall ever seeing a CF VF-1S (there is a CF VF-1J that is seen several times).  Not saying it isn't there, just haven't noticed it.  I'll keep an eye out for it.

My personal list:

Best: 

Yamato: I don't own any actual Yamato product out side of the launch arm display stand, so I can't really say.  I think the 1/60 v2 is their best achievement, though.

Arcadia: PF SDF-1

Bandai: DX 1/48 VF-1

Favorites would be the same, but maybe VF-4 from Yamato as my favorite (since the Arcadia one I have is nearly identical).

Best Toy:

Yamato: 1/60 VF-1S V2 with Super/Strike Parts

Arcadia: VF-0S

Bandai: DX VF-1J

Favorite Toy:

Yamato: VF-4G

Arcadia: VF-19 Kai with Soundbooster

Bandai: DX VF-1S with Super/Strike Parts & Missiles

Y'all making me feel bad for not ever having pulled my PF VF-0S out of the box.

Of the toys I've actually opened up for more than inspection:

Yamato: YF-21

Bandai: DX VF-1S

Regarding the DX: as an engineer, I appreciate small improvements across the board.

There's no need to re-invent the wheel with every toy, sometimes you just need to change the spoke pattern or the radius a smidge. The DX VF-1 is by far the best posing battroid I have. The transformation is simple and the articulation is amazing. I haven't personally had issues with fighter alignment or the swing-bar.

49 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Y'all making me feel bad for not ever having pulled my PF VF-0S out of the box.

Of the toys I've actually opened up for more than inspection:

Yamato: YF-21

Bandai: DX VF-1S

Regarding the DX: as an engineer, I appreciate small improvements across the board.

There's no need to re-invent the wheel with every toy, sometimes you just need to change the spoke pattern or the radius a smidge. The DX VF-1 is by far the best posing battroid I have. The transformation is simple and the articulation is amazing. I haven't personally had issues with fighter alignment or the swing-bar.

Aww, you at least have to swoosh them around once or twice. An unplayed with toy is a sad toy. Didnt you ever watch Toy Story....2?...3? I cant remember. 

2 minutes ago, LRS said:

Aww, you at least have to swoosh them around once or twice. An unplayed with toy is a sad toy. Didnt you ever watch Toy Story....2?...3? I cant remember. 

I moved a year ago, and all of the work of taking down my valks (and gundam models), transforming them back, boxing them back up, and taking them over was just exhausting. Doing that many transformations in a short period just took the fun out of it for me, at least for a while.

The DX is legitimately the only toy I've actually enjoyed transforming since then, and most of the ones back up on display are still in fighter mode.

18 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I moved a year ago, and all of the work of taking down my valks (and gundam models), transforming them back, boxing them back up, and taking them over was just exhausting. Doing that many transformations in a short period just took the fun out of it for me, at least for a while.

The DX is legitimately the only toy I've actually enjoyed transforming since then, and most of the ones back up on display are still in fighter mode.

Got it.  Its interesting that most people vote yamato over the DX. Is it because of emotional connection to the yamatos or maybe most ppl dont have a Dx?

I'm willing to bet most everyone here that has a DX has a few if not a LOT of Yamatoes.  The Yamatoes are still more fun to just pick up and play with IMO. The DX is bigger/heavier/more fiddly.  It's gorgeous yes, but it displays better than it plays. The Yammies do both.  Just an old timers .02.  Here endeth the lesson. ;)

Edited by derex3592

46 minutes ago, LRS said:

Got it.  Its interesting that most people vote yamato over the DX. Is it because of emotional connection to the yamatos or maybe most ppl dont have a Dx?

I only started getting DX Valks around the time of the renewal VF-25, only one I had before that was a beat to crap Chunky from a garage sale. Never had any Yamato valks until after the company was gone. I only have a single Yamato 1/60 VF-1 (and 2x 1/48s), which is a V1. Never saw the need to buy Yamato over Arcadia.

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I'm willing to bet most everyone here that has a DX has a few if not a LOT of Yamatoes.  The Yamatoes are still more fun to just pick up and play with IMO. The DX is bigger/heavier/more fiddly.  It's gorgeous yes, but it displays better than it plays. The Yammies do both.  Just an old timers .02.  Here endeth the lesson. ;)

The Yamato 1/48 is pretty fiddly but I agree it is such a great toy to play with anytime. Transformation is so quick, simple and good.

10 minutes ago, Foblander said:

I don't have any 1/48 Yammies. Would you say the transformation process was quicker and more simple than the 1/60 v2? 

I prefer the transformation for the DX 1/48 over the 1/60 v2 Yammies.

Yes. The V2 1/60 is a more solid and refined toy but along with that precision comes some tighter tolerances and more difficult transformation.

Actually i just think that the Yamato 1/48 VF-1 is still the best looking VF-1 in fighter mode(without super or fast pack). Its silhoutte  is still unmatched, even by the DX from Bandai. At least that's my opinion. 

16 hours ago, claude grant said:

That SDF-1 of Tekering's is the absolute baddest interpretation I've ever seen!!  Just so you know, I will be stealing that pose and wall mounting idea....

Why not just take the whole display?  <_<

682075827_thefleet.jpg.7d9862e0f426cd682