1/60th Yamato VF-19 vs Bandai DX YF-19, how do they compare?

Arthurius

Hi,

Just wondering how the Yamato 1/60 VF-19 (Kai, Blazer, etc..) compare, toy wise (Built, Playability, Engineering), to the latest DX YF-19 from 1/60 Bandai. 

I dont have any DX 1/60, just the old YF-19 (which sux), and the VF-19 (which are great), so wanting to know how they compare, if it is really worth me looking at one down the line.

Also , if the Bandai VF-1 the best macross toy ever made?  I already have some 1/48 in Yamato, so not sure i need this.

I love the Yamato VF-19 1/60 toys. Those are Yamato's best work imo when it comes to Valks. So chunky and robust feeling for a Valk toy. It has a nice weight to it throughout the toy. I feel comfortable handling the Yamato VF-19. The transformation process is also easier on the Yamato. The only limitation is see are the ankles, but they don't bother me too much since I can still stand it up in Battroid mode no problem and there are tricks to get it to stand in Gerwalk.

I also have the Bandai DX YF-19. It is impressive and sleek. They've added some cool articulation to the legs and waist. It's more detailed and a little more involved when transforming. It has Bandai's take on the proportions, which give it a sportier look. Everything feels solid, but I still prefer Yamato's chunky robustness feel. The hips are extremely tight on this toy so I had to loosen the screws. However, the ankles are phenomenal on this toy.

All in all, I love them both :)

And yes, if the size is not a problem for you then the Bandai DX VF-1 is the ultimate VF-1 toy to date imo.

IMG_20200314_125814.jpg

Edited by Foblander

While the DX VF-1 is the overall best VF-1 ever made, I feel it doesn’t match up to the Yamato 1/48 and especially V2 1/60’s in a level of feel and refinement. The V2s just feel like a different kind of precision and quality toy compared to the typical figures that Bandai does. It’s hard to describe but visually, it comes down to something as simple as how cleanly and precisely the arms line up in fighter mode and wings fold in Battroid mode. Something that Bandai can’t seem to get on the DX. That being said, the DX is more detailed, robust and solid feeling compared to the Yamato 1/48. For me, I love them all for different reasons and if you have all the Yamato 1/48 you want decos of, you may want to get a DX just to have one to experience. For me, my Yamato 1/48 is focused on the non-cannon decos (all the low vis) that I’m quite sure Bandai will never make. I’ll get most the standard decos that DX comes out with. 

IMO:

When taken in the aggregate the Arcadia/Yamato 1/60 may be tops. It's darn near perfect.

But

That depends on how much size factors in for you. The DX is just shy of the Arcadia/Yamato 1/60 as far as "score" goes. If you are into 1/48's the score gets bumped up over the Arcadia/Yamato 1/60. This is the case for me. I like 1/48's so on my shelves the DX beats the Arcadia/Yamato 1/60.

Annnnnnd

Depending on how much your into big Valks the Yamato 1/48 could out-score the Arcadia/Yamato 1/60. That would be based on size to a large degree (pun intended).

If you're space constrained the 1/60 is absolutely the way to go.