The Evolution Of The VF-1S Display Advice

sqidd

So, I'm going to do an evolution of the VF-1S Roy display. Pic of what I'm talking about at the bottom.

The question is what should I put in the display? It clearly can't be every one ever available in order of release date. One, there would be way too many to make it practical. And two, having the massively different swings in scale/size would look goofy. It need to be somewhere in the middle. This is what I have so far as what would be displayed:

-1/55 Chunky Monkey

-1/48 Yamato

-1/60 Yamacadia

-1/48 Bandai DX

It could be a cool display with just the four. As far as I know those are the high points of the toy throughout the year. And that would fit on one shelf well. I may even have room to double each one up so there is a Battroid and Fighter mode of each one. But, I feel like four isn't enough.....maybe.

What do you guys think? Can you put down the list of which ones you would do if you were doing the same display?

Thanks!

theory-evolution-man-human-development-2

Are you covering all scales? A HMR roy would be nice somewhere.  

If it was me tho, i would go for a valk evolution...ie VF-0 till VF-31..not vf-1S per se...

btw, the VF-0 roy would also be nice somewhere, but i suppose you just want to stick with the VF-1S roy..

Edited by seti88

3 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Are you covering all scales? A HMR roy would be nice somewhere.  

If it was me tho, i would go for a valk evolution...ie VF-0 till VF-31..not vf-1S per se...

btw, the VF-0 roy would also be nice somewhere, but i suppose you just want to stick with the VF-1S roy..

Yeah, I'm sticking with a VF-1 only display. I do like the VF-0 through VF-31 idea though.:good:

From a display sense I don't know if 1/100 will look right. The HM & HMR is spectacular though. They should be represented. I have multiples so that is easy to set up and see how it looks.

I don't know of any others that deserve being put in there. The Toynami stuff for example. Granted, I've never had one in my hand. And we're they considered good at the time of release? I don't think they were.

9 minutes ago, Rogueload said:

I guess you could throw in a Yamato 1/60 v1 in there as well.  But those 4 you mentioned are definitely the most iconic. 

Yamato v2 and Arcadia are effectively the same toy correct?

From a visual standpoint can you easily tell the difference between a Yamato ver 1 & 2?

Yeah u can tell a v1 from a v2.  I had a vf-1S v1 Roy before.  It’s better then a toynami but the v2 is light years better. 

Yamato and Arcadia are the same although Arcadia has used different plastic that people have said caused a pinkish hue. I’ve never seen it in my Arcadia 1s’s tho. 

6 minutes ago, Rogueload said:

Yeah u can tell a v1 from a v2.  I had a vf-1S v1 Roy before.  It’s better then a toynami but the v2 is light years better. 

Yamato and Arcadia are the same although Arcadia has used different plastic that people have said caused a pinkish hue. I’ve never seen it in my Arcadia 1s’s tho. 

Ok, so maybe the Ver 1 would be a good addition. It will show a clear progression. Solid call.:good:

13 minutes ago, Rogueload said:

This would be the V1 I'm looking for correct?

s-l500.jpg

So, this is what I have for a timeline. Ca you guys check my work? And I can't see to find when the Yamato 1/48 was released. I tried Anymoon and it's not there, or I'm stupid/blind.

-1/55 Chunky Monkey - 1983

-1/60 Yamato V1 - 10/2001

-1/48 Yamato - 11/2002

-1/60 Yamato V2 - 6/2008

-1/60 Arcadia - 8/2013

-1/48 Bandai DX - 10/2018

Edited by sqidd

15 minutes ago, sqidd said:

So, this is what I have for a timeline. Ca you guys check my work?

Note Yamato's first VF-1 toy (the 1:60 v.1) was released in October of 2001, and the first 1:48 VF-1 was released in November of 2002.

Bandai's first 1:48 VF-1 was issued in late December of 2018.

Frankly, though, it sounds like a pretty dull comparison.  There's so little visual difference between the 1:60s and the 1:48s that I wouldn't bother putting them in such a display at all.  By choosing the biggest available options, you're only representing the best of the best, as it were... and ignoring the much greater variation in VF-1 toys that exists at smaller scales.

Consider, instead, something like this:

333806971_VF-1evolution.thumb.jpg.60a200b74e9ac6565bd81d8ff869d8f2.jpg

Going back to the '90s, and including manufacturers like Arii, Kaiyodo, and Toynami, you'll find much more significant differences in proportions, detailing, and articulation, and provide more visual interest (particularly to anyone not intimately acquainted with the Macross Valkyrie).  

If you're gonna restrict your display to a single mode anyway, including such non-transformable action figures expands your options tremendously.

It's on Anymoon:

Yamato-148-VF1-1-4K-1.jpg

First Yamato 1/48 is 2002 (First Roy is 2003)

First Yamato 1/60 v1 is 2001 (First Roy is 2002)

I personally would consider the Arcadia 1/60 vf-1 the same as the Yamato 1/60 v2.  But if you want to consider them different the first Arcadia VF-1 release was 2013 (first Arcadia Roy was also 2013).

Arcadia-PF-Elintseeker-2.jpg

There was also the Toynami "masterpiece" collection that came out in late 2001 (I don't think they hit shelves until 2002, though).  Whether or not that is worth including is up to you.  But getting one new is definitely not worth what it's going for on ebay, imo.

The first Bandai DX 1/48 release was 2019.  Ofc we don't have the Roy yet, I wouldn't hold my breath on actually getting it in hand this year, with the whole pandemic situation.

If you are trying to display the important stages in the VF-1's design and engineering since 1982, you should include a Bandai HCM in between the 1/55 and 1/60 v1.....the HCM was for a long time the ultimate in PT VF-1 toys

Edited by jvmacross

Yes....which is why I pointed out "VF-1's" not "VF-1S's"....also, there is no way to keep to a specific scale if trying to demonstrate the evolution of the important changes/releases of the PT toys....

This display can actually be easily done today, if the same scheme is required for all samples, by switching to a Hikaru VF-1S DYRL type.  The only problem would be some mods and part switching between a Yamato VF-1A v1 Hikaru and a VF-1S Strike Roy v1....I think these mods would not be too difficult....at least it would be easier than painting an HCM in Roy colors and waiting for a Bandai DX Roy-1S

2 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

It's on Anymoon:

Yamato-148-VF1-1-4K-1.jpg

I personally would consider the Arcadia 1/60 vf-1 the same as the Yamato 1/60 v2.  But if you want to consider them different the first Arcadia VF-1 release was 2013 (first Arcadia Roy was also 2013).

Arcadia-PF-Elintseeker-2.jpg

There was also the Toynami "masterpiece" collection that came out in late 2001 (I don't think they hit shelves until 2002, though).  Whether or not that is worth including is up to you.  But getting one new is definitely not worth what it's going for on ebay, imo.

The first Bandai DX 1/48 release was 2019.  Ofc we don't have the Roy yet, I wouldn't hold my breath on actually getting it in hand this year, with the whole pandemic situation.

Missing Hikaru VF1S and VF1J Weathered, might as well include it since Roy Weathered is up there.

2 hours ago, tekering said:

Note Yamato's first VF-1 toy (the 1:60 v.1) was released in October of 2001, and the first 1:48 VF-1 was released in November of 2002.

Frankly, though, it sounds like a pretty dull comparison.  There's so little visual difference between the 1:60s and the 1:48s that I wouldn't bother putting them in such a display at all.  By choosing the biggest available options, you're only representing the best of the best, as it were... and ignoring the much greater variation in VF-1 toys that exists at smaller scales.

Consider, instead, something like this:

333806971_VF-1evolution.thumb.jpg.60a200b74e9ac6565bd81d8ff869d8f2.jpg

Going back to the '90s, and including manufacturers like Arii, Kaiyodo, and Toynami, you'll find much more significant differences in proportions, detailing, and articulation, and provide more visual interest (particularly to anyone not intimately acquainted with the Macross Valkyrie).  

If you're gonna restrict your display to a single mode anyway, including such non-transformable action figures expands your options tremendously.

You make a really good point. I'm going to really have to think about hat I want to do here. maybe both!:D I guess I'm going to need to put a list of the "small players" together too. I think I know of a guy who knows that sorts of thing.;)

Thanks for the release dates on those three (I updated my post).:good:

About those release dates. Oooooooooo, I would have been steaming if I purchase 1/60 V1's and the 1/48's came out a year later!:fool:

One additional wrinkle to consider:  posing the different Valks going from Fighter to Gerwalk to Battroid (or from Gerwalk to Battroid).

For example:

-1/55 Chunky Monkey - Fighter mode

-1/60 Yamato V1 - Mid-transformation pose (arms back Gerwalk?)

-1/48 Yamato - Full Gerwalk mode

-1/60 Yamato V2 - Mid-transformation to Battroid

-1/60 Arcadia - Battroid

-1/48 Bandai DX - Action posed out Battroid.

Edited by Mog

4 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I still think you need the HMR and one of these

Only three known collectors on the planet would be able to pull that off...8)

All kidding aside, if you are not married to the idea that all of the included VF-1's must be "Roy Types" or belonging to a "DX" scale....then I would agree that inclusion of the HM/HMR would be a must as it is actually a semi-improvement on some aspects of the Yamato/Arcadia VF-1 release....and is a pre-cursor to the next stage of VF-1 design, the Bandai 1/48 DX...

However, I would definitely NOT include the "Takatoku Henkei" in a display based on your "Evolution of the VF-1 Valkyrie Toy" idea.....namely because it was designed after the Takatoku 1/55 VF-1, which is your starting point.....so technically that makes the Henkei version an example of toy DE-EVOLUTION! LOL....:lol:

4 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Only three known collectors on the planet would be able to pull that off...8)

All kidding aside, if you are not married to the idea that all of the included VF-1's must be "Roy Types" or belonging to a "DX" scale....then I would agree that inclusion of the HM/HMR would be a must as it is actually a semi-improvement on some aspects of the Yamato/Arcadia VF-1 release....and is a pre-cursor to the next stage of VF-1 design, the Bandai 1/48 DX...

However, I would definitely NOT include the "Takatoku Henkei" in a display based on your "Evolution of the VF-1 Valkyrie Toy" idea.....namely because it was designed after the Takatoku 1/55 VF-1, which is your starting point.....so technically that makes the Henkei version an example of toy DE-EVOLUTION! LOL....:lol:

I say it’s an evolution when it comes to playability because I had that thing with me everywhere as a kid. The 1/55 is the best toy ever imo but that little POS involved imagination and again, I transformed that thing hundreds of times a day everywhere I went. And I don’t mean he has to have one of the few in existence for the display but at least some version of the Roy like the one I have. 

3 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I say it’s an evolution when it comes to playability because I had that thing with me everywhere as a kid. The 1/55 is the best toy ever imo but that little POS involved imagination and again, I transformed that thing hundreds of times a day everywhere I went. And I don’t mean he has to have one of the few in existence for the display but at least some version of the Roy like the one I have. 

Yeah, I do not see "playability" as part of the OP's selection criteria.....however, I will agree with you that the henkei is one lovable POS! :wub:

Just now, jvmacross said:

Yeah, I do not see "playability" as part of the OP's selection criteria.....however, I will agree with you that the henkei is one lovable POS! :wub:

Haha, these are toys so playability is a big part of evolution, imo. BTW, I’m a bit offended that you mention that “no collection is complete” without the rare item you linked to. That means basically no one’s collection is or can ever be complete. :(

But then again, that is always the case when it comes to collecting Valks. :p

When you float this idea to a bunch of Macross nerds, you're going to have to deal with a lot of suggestions and such:p

I think I know what you were going for: sort of the "best of the VF-1 for each generation" kind of thing.  But as @tekering mentioned, it wouldn't be that great of a display once you actually put it together, only the chunky monkey and 1/48 would really stand out to the untrained eye.  The Bandai high complete model also kind of throws a wrench in a scheme like that.

Maybe have like a "generations" theme?  Starting with the Takatokou 1/55 and 1/100 scale in the 80s, then some of the Arii and Toynami stuff for the 90s.  Early Yamatos (1/60 and/or 1/48) for the early 2000s, then yamcadia v2 and HMR for the "modern" era.  With a DX 1/48 when it comes out.  

It's a lot more to collect, obviously, but you'll have a good contrast of scales, and would be able to see how it evolved in different scales over time.

12 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, these are toys so playability is a big part of evolution, imo. BTW, I’m a bit offended that you mention that “no collection is complete” without the rare item you linked to. That means basically no one’s collection is or can ever be complete. :(

But then again, that is always the case when it comes to collecting Valks. :p

Believe me I know that no one's collection is ever complete....until it has to be....:angel:

However, I'm pretty sure I said no Takatoku Macross Collection would be complete without the Super VF-1S henkei.....

Edited by jvmacross

A purely "design and engineering" display of the forward evolution of the PT VF-1 from it's inception, based on outward appearance and not on "unseen internal tweaks", should include one of each the following:

Takatoku/Bandai 1/55 VF-1

Bandai HCM 1/72 VF-1

Yamato 1/60 VF-1 v1

Yamato 1/48 VF-1

Yamato 1/60 VF-1 v2

Bandai 1/100 HM/HMR

Bandai 1/48 DX VF-1

I would argue that the Toynami 1/55 and 1/100 should not be included as I feel that they are a step backwards or simply did nothing to improve designs or engineering of VF-1 toys that existed before their individual releases.  The same can be said of the Henkei and the Takatoku 1/100 PT toys, they were not a forward evolutionary step in the design and engineering history of the PT VF-1 toy.

Oh and there are also the Banpresto PT valks.....again, backwards evolution...unless you want to give them credit for being the first to include "extra" heads...LOL!

4 hours ago, tekering said:

4 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

It's on Anymoon:

I was reading the text on Anymoon. I never thought to look at the pictures (which I knew were there). Doh!

I think after looking at all the dates, when things were released, etc I'm going to go with the date the line started (doesn't have to be a Roy). I'd say this is going to be more a celebration of the VF-1 history in general. I'm just using Roy's because that's my favorite one. Check out these dates. I think I have it dialed??/ Unless someone has a month for the Chunky Monkey release in the early 80's.

Thanks!

-1/55 Chunky Monkey - 1983

-1/60 Yamato V1 - 10/2001

-1/48 Yamato - 11/2002

-1/60 Yamato V2 - 6/2008

-1/60 Arcadia - 8/2013

-1/48 Bandai DX - 10/2018

6 minutes ago, jenius said:

I don't think the HCM needs to be included. If it was included, it would be a branch off that led to the Toynami MPC and then died. Also, it's got the name "model" in it so it's easily ignored.

I'm with you. Seems like a long climb for a short slide.

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

@sqidd Since all of the versions you want to put together are of the VF-1S Strike Roy, I would get some 1/55 Strike Armor to put on the 1/55 VF-1S Roy.  I would also try to incorporate the HM and HMR VF-1S Roys.

Agreed. I have a 1/55 VF-1S Roy and some Super Parts inbound. I'd like to find some Strike parts at some point though. 

And I agree that the HM and HMR need to be in there somehow. Now to hunt for HM and HMR release dates to add to the list.