Looking For Some Painting Advice - Flat Black S&S Parts

sqidd

I have a set of Yamato 1/48 Super and Strike parts that I'm going to disassemble and paint flat black to go one a Low Vis (grey) paint scheme. I'm "competent" using a spray can. But I don't know what to use and how to prep. How should I prep the surface? Should I use some sort of primer? And what do you suggest for what paint to use? Links would be fantastic. Especially Amazon.

Thanks guys!

Hey @sqidd.  I would just wipe down the parts and get any greasy fingerprints off them, I don't know if there's really a need to prime them honestly, I guess you can if you want.  I recommend Tamiya TS 6 Matte Black Spray. It's about $7 a can at HobbyTown USA.  One can should do you good for SS parts in 1:48.  It's overpriced at Amazon IMHO. Let me know if I can help with anything else! 

24 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Hey @sqidd.  I would just wipe down the parts and get any greasy fingerprints off them, I don't know if there's really a need to prime them honestly, I guess you can if you want.  I recommend Tamiya TS 6 Matte Black Spray. It's about $7 a can at HobbyTown USA.  One can should do you good for SS parts in 1:48.  It's overpriced at Amazon IMHO. Let me know if I can help with anything else! 

Excellent, thank you.

As far as wiping them down. Denatured alcohol? I just happen to have gallons of that. Or is there a risk of "melting" the plastic?

Thanks again!:hi:

Ehh...I'd prob just go with a warm water bath with a little Dawn dish washing soap and then dry off with paper towel and shake any access water out and then let air dry over night. Nothing sucks worse than thinking something is dry and then a water bead runs out of some random hole right as you are painting ... LOL :-\

Ohh- definitely remove any stickers and sticker goo with a little Windex or Goo Gone before washing/priming/painting. 

EDIT - The Tamiya TS paints dry very quick to the touch. Let them sit for 12 - 24 hours to fully cure however. 

Edited by derex3592

6 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Ehh...I'd prob just go with a warm water bath with a little Dawn dish washing soap and then dry off with paper towel and shake any access water out and then let air dry over night. Nothing sucks worse than thinking something is dry and then a water bead runs out of some random hole right as you are painting ... LOL :-\

Ohh- definitely remove any stickers and sticker goo with a little Windex or Goo Gone before washing/priming/painting. 

EDIT - The Tamiya TS paints dry very quick to the touch. Let them sit for 12 - 24 hours to fully cure however. 

^^^All the things I need to know! Thank you!

If you plan on masking the parts in order not to paint everything, make sure you use good masking tape, like the ones made by Tamiya:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tamiya+masking+tape&crid=3A73WBRAKY5U0&sprefix=tamiya+mask%2Caps%2C154&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11

It comes in different widths and there is nothing more frustrating than removing masking tape and seeing paint bleed.  Probably cheaper at your local hobby store (always support local, even during a pandemic).

Also, make sure you have good ventilation and wear a particle mask.  Most spray paints are toxic so don't risk your health.  If you are looking for decals for markings there are a number of options online (these you can't get at your local hobby store).

I don't have the Yamato set, but most toys have a smooth, glossy finish.  You may want to consider using some high-grit sanding pads to rough up the surface.  Something like 1000 grit or higher so as not to damage the surface.  Roughing up the surface will help the paint adhere better.

Sqidd, I've used good ole isopropyl alcohol for decades. 70% and 91% are both fine. Its good to ensure all oils and waxes are cleaned off and won't touch the plastic. It may harm some paint (not usually) so protect pre-painted parts just in case. - MT

6 hours ago, Darth Mingus said:

If you plan on masking the parts in order not to paint everything, make sure you use good masking tape, like the ones made by Tamiya:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tamiya+masking+tape&crid=3A73WBRAKY5U0&sprefix=tamiya+mask%2Caps%2C154&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11

It comes in different widths and there is nothing more frustrating than removing masking tape and seeing paint bleed.  Probably cheaper at your local hobby store (always support local, even during a pandemic).

Also, make sure you have good ventilation and wear a particle mask.  Most spray paints are toxic so don't risk your health.  If you are looking for decals for markings there are a number of options online (these you can't get at your local hobby store).

I don't have the Yamato set, but most toys have a smooth, glossy finish.  You may want to consider using some high-grit sanding pads to rough up the surface.  Something like 1000 grit or higher so as not to damage the surface.  Roughing up the surface will help the paint adhere better.

Good news is that the parts have a bit of a texture. I'll rough any smooth spots up though.

I don't know once disassembled if anything needs to be taped yet. Good heads up on that Tamiya tape. You're correct. I'd be bummed out of anything bled.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, MechTech said:

Sqidd, I've used good ole isopropyl alcohol for decades. 70% and 91% are both fine. Its good to ensure all oils and waxes are cleaned off and won't touch the plastic. It may harm some paint (not usually) so protect pre-painted parts just in case. - MT

Excellent. Thank you.