VF-1S 3MCCS-2 Cockpit Build

Olitech Industries

Time to dust off an old "restoration" project - The iconic 3MCCS-2 late cockpit from DYRL.

I wanted to take 'real' flight controls and see if they could translate into the cockpit we all love so much.

Inspired by Dodiano's real world build and Dan Bickell's earlier work.

This is an ongoing work in progress, as I'm trying to stay true to the layout of the attached diagram yet trick it out with 'real life' switches and legends.

My apologies for the mess in the shop, seems like there's Destroid parts everywhere. =)

EDIT: I am not a pilot, so please chime in if something looks wrong.

PANEL 01.jpg

PANEL 02.jpg

PANEL 03.jpg

PANEL 04.jpg

PANEL 05.jpg

PANEL 06.jpg

PANEL 07.jpg

Edited by Olitech Industries

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 10:06 AM, Thom said:

Have to say that is a lovely looking IP! Looks fantastic.

Now, with any kit we always start with the cockpit, so I imagine the rest will follow...;) 

Your insight serves you well...

Look for my other posts. I started the fuselage/canopy previously, but I want to rebuild them properly.

• 3 weeks later...

I got seriously inspired recently by a GIF by ui artist Marnick Lammers: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Xrlmw

So...I decided to deculture his incredible F-16 HUD gif, then (very, very crudely) recultured it into the main VF-1S MFD. We need to find a person to do this MFD screen animation properly. =)

If there are any motion graphic artists out there who would like to help on this, please contact me. This is not a paying job. It is for the glory  of our cause. =) My mograph sucks, so I've been waiting a while to find something I could hack together. If you were to leave that part to me, we could be waiting a while... Just saying.

This animation is free to download copy, distribute and literally stare at for hours if you wish.

forgot to attach the money

• 1 month later...

Looks good. :good:

• 1 year later...

Wow, where does 2 years go?

Trying hard to get back into the pilot's seat on this Block 6 1:1 project.

Some minor work on switches, annunciator lights, cockpit blocking and mirror details. Trying to interpret the brackets for some micro detailing.

Also reworked the shroud geometry - will be re-detailing it soon.

C&C welcomed!

BLOCK 6 COCKPIT 01.jpg

BLOCK 6 COCKPIT 02.jpg

BLOCK 6 COCKPIT 03.jpg

BLOCK 6 COCKPIT 04.jpg

BLOCK 6 COCKPIT 05.jpg

BLOCK 6 COCKPIT 06.jpg

BLOCK 6 COCKPIT 08.jpg

BLOCK 6 COCKPIT 07.jpg

adding pics

Some more detailing and refinement on the IP shroud. You can see my inspiration image in one of the renderings. 😃

A little more 'mil spec' type styling on the iPhone...er I mean mirrors. I think you all know what I'm going to do to that rectangle on the back of the mirror.  I've got a great idea on the mirror bracket design - will look so legit if I can pull it off.

Happy Friday!

BLOCK 6 SHROUD 01.jpg

BLOCK 6 SHROUD 02.jpg

BLOCK 6 SHROUD 03.jpg

BLOCK 6 SHROUD 04.jpg

BLOCK 6 SHROUD 05.jpg

BLOCK 6 MIRROR 02.jpg

BLOCK 6 MIRROR 03.jpg

BLOCK 6 MIRROR 04.jpg

"Dry fitting" the throttle, stick, instrument panel and shroud.

I am so glad I rebuilt the IP shroud - the new one looks so much better than the old one at the start of this post. Now I can keep moving forward instead of going back and fixing annoying stuff. Yeah, this project is definitely about low and slow.

It looks and fits much better because I spent more time getting the overall shape right and more time spent on cleaner (organized) edge loops.

BLOCK 6 COCKPIT 09.jpg

BLOCK 6 SHROUD 06 wireframe.jpg

BLOCK 6 SHROUD 06.jpg

Thank you Skullsixx and rick.vale!

Here is some more detailing (that no one will probably ever notice) on the mirrors and brackets.

Ironic that I spent so much time removing part lines and seams from physical models; now all I do is add part lines and seams to digital models.

BLOCK 6 MIRROR 05.jpg

BLOCK 6 MIRROR 06.jpg

BLOCK 6 MIRROR 07.jpg

BLOCK 6 MIRROR 08.jpg

BLOCK 6 MIRROR 09.jpg

BLOCK 6 MIRROR 10.jpg

BLOCK 6 MIRROR 11.jpg

BLOCK 6 MIRROR 12.jpg

vf-1-dyrl-cockpit1.gif