Obsolete (YouTube series)

Big s

I saw these kits for preorder the other night and got curious and checked out the first 4 episodes. The last 2 are premium. Seems that aliens sell humans an obsolete piece of machinery cheap to us humans and we take that tech and first start using them for labor the of coarse we eventually arm them for combat. The frame has a mind link with the operator, so the controls are non existent. Each episode is only about 12 minutes and seem more about world building than character development, but the combat scenes are fun.

each kit has the basic frame but with additional armor and weapons along with a pilot figure. They’re 1/35 and would probably work really well in modern military dioramas. If my measurements are correct they’re only about 3 inches tall though. I guess there’s also an issue of Hobby Japan that has a kit of the frame as an added bonus.

8667B891-727D-4035-991A-24EF46145A9E.jpeg

93B2F94A-B772-4478-88A1-0D9E8712FA81.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I liked watching this series a helluva lot! 

Big s forgot to mention that the aliens are bestowing these armors to mankind in exchange for 1 ton of limestone per armor unit (IIRC).  What they're doing with it is a big mystery. 

They make a worldwide declaration over any broadcast means available on earth that they have absolutely no affiliation to any political, religious, ethnicity, creed, color you get the picture.

1 ton of limestone, and 24 hrs later (again IIRC) 1 armor unit. That's all they want...yeah right.

Also, I think something is happening on the moon too.

As stated, all 6 EP are on YouTube, and would only take about 75-80 minutes to binge watch.

I really hope it continues cause it's got me very curious to see where this is going.

• 1 year later...

I saw this series mentioned recently in another forum, and it aroused my curiosity. I think I watched the first ep a year ago or so, but I'd forgotten about it until the recent mention. So I binged it tonight on YT, and overall, it was a pretty neat series. I absolutely love the premise of the aliens, known colloquially as "Peddlers", selling each exo-frame for a chunk of limestone, and the gradual and eventual adaptation of these fairly simple exo-frames into all sorts of combat uses, which philosophically, speaks to humanity's lower inclination towards violence and fighting.  Despite the aliens' statement of absolute neutrality in human affairs, one suspects they understand us all too well, and the violent exploitation of these exo-frames will be to their benefit. If they do a second season, it would be cool if that ulterior motive was explored in an ep or two.

While I thought it was well animated, and the stories are engaging, some of the English voice acting leaves a little to be desired, and some of the dialog comes off as clunky, awkward, or stereotypical.  Overall, though, I enjoyed it, and if a second season gets made, I'll watch it too.

• 10 months later...

For this year's "Planet Cafe" modelling contest, each participant has chosen a Moderoid kit from Obsolete to build.  I chose Zahir's "Obambo."

IMG_3040.jpeg.3a7c60e9d38bb3f11fa937670ca2f0e4.jpeg

I drilled out the sculpted camera lens "eye," and installed a green LED instead.

IMG_3029.jpeg.d729996347f6b50e6d388359f765a030.jpeg

I also did more chipping and weathering than I've ever done on a model before...

IMG_3023.jpeg.867224f9bc2bec0c3820b7ec0cfb6797.jpeg

IMG_3015.jpeg.1cca8b859e3fb7bf5c302b2f225faf4f.jpeg

IMG_3019.jpeg.99b7a490d7e777680e0765abfa3abd8a.jpeg

IMG_3024.jpeg.ac07f327946f116394e1e8d9e56167de.jpeg

IMG_3043.jpeg.574446a693f2ed8b56a7a86fc42e4c74.jpeg

On 11/13/2021 at 9:11 AM, Big s said:

I love the little kits for the series

"Little" is an understatement! 😅

IMG_3047.jpeg.1e02d0422483a89031681a137eb23d97.jpeg

1 hour ago, tekering said:

For this year's "Planet Cafe" modelling contest, each participant has chosen a Moderoid kit from Obsolete to build.  I chose Zahir's "Obambo."

Nice job on the kit. These are actually good subjects for a contest dice they’re so simple that any little thing that you do extra can really add to it. Love the eye and the tiny chipping. The weathering looks very in scale as well