Old Yellowed Yamato 1/48 & 1/60 worth anything to customizers or trash?

Arthurius

Wanted honest opinions from fans if the below are worth anything at all, or just good for the scrap / trash now, as far as resale to customizers only who could fix / repaint them, and if so, what value would you give each.  I might be moving from Canada to the USA, and had some old 1/48th and 1/60th in the storage that have yellowed and not in the pristine condition at all, and not sure i can bring them with me due to space/costs.    Thanks in advance to everyone.

Note: They are loose, no box, and yellowed, some damages may be present as described or missing items

1) YAMATO 1/48th  GBP Armour standard color.  Seems complete.  Some yellowing and scratches here and there as per pics.

671190143_1-ArmourGBP.thumb.jpg.6d04a5c285acf5a70d084153c27e5177.jpg

2) YAMATO Stand/Arm.  Seems complete.  Some scratches here and there on the chrome.

1775661592_2-Base.thumb.jpg.c59f7d98196aa462e32dd3fc353fd2c4.jpg

3) 1/48th  VF-1A.  No Strap on gun.  yellowing and black spots (maybe from custom black painted FP i had him wear)

1830893725_3a-VF-1A.thumb.jpg.658f5df095e0cf4fc0fcc82cab4e226b.jpg

718202552_3b-VF-1A.thumb.jpg.dd9cde0715982fdf802523ddfbd7c1c3.jpg

4) 1/48th  VF-1J.  No Strap on gun.  No gun holding fat hand.  One fin broken as per the second image.  yellowing

1862665954_4A-VF-1J.thumb.jpg.297ac78c30bb07655e53f7236274f0c7.jpg

2064236620_4B-VF-1J.thumb.jpg.86652253bf158b6c0f8157b570326b59.jpg

5) 1/48th FP Set: On one arm FP, one of the two holders that snap on broke and I crazy glued it back.  It still works, but harder to get on the arm than before, and you have to be more careful with it.

DSC08604.thumb.JPG.8f4ff40f999fc236bec856ad81f962d2.JPG

DSC08667.thumb.JPG.56dbabf239ad7c764f770d379ed4961f.JPG

DSC08668.thumb.JPG.660b3c877106b8229b70d3824028a041.JPG

6) 1/60 VF-0 Upgrade set.    yellowing .  Break on the one of the fins.  Loose when attached to the valk, and only gray replacement piece.1886338439_5A-Upg.thumb.jpg.6bbff8a94e7be68df3f9c27e6be05d18.jpg

1001196364_5B-Upg.thumb.jpg.961e417a62625336c02e2c4e932ed820.jpg

7) 1/60th  VF-0A 1st version.  yellowing.  broken antennae (putting crazy glue on it now and seing if that partially fixes it. 

1649451113_7A-VF-0A.thumb.jpg.380e76dcbabd160790b2762823670679.jpg

1822455687_7B-VF-0A.thumb.jpg.bb1dfb420be53ad9d1acc6b670c3cd19.jpg

4B - VF-1J.jpg

Edited by Arthurius

There is definitely some value in it.  It's just a matter of if you are going to get the money you want that makes it worth your time.  Easiest thing is just put it on ebay for either a buy it now or do an auction starting at the minimum it is worth your time to sell it for, then see if anyone bites.

I wouldn't mind having a few of these pieces (I love old worn out stuff that comes cheap, as I have no reservations about playing with it, modifying it etc). 

But usually what I see on ebay is people way overestimating what something is worth (example:  there is a guy selling two incomplete broken Matchbox SDF-1s bundled and he wants $80...I personally think he is going to have a hard time getting that given how broken they are (missing large pieces), but more power to him).  If you just want to get a ballpark on anything you have, go to ebay, do an advanced search on the item you are considering selling, then filter by "sold listings" and that will give you an approximation of what your item is worth and whether it is worth your time to sell them or junk them.   "Sold Listings" is better than just what is out there because of what I said above - people way over value what their possessions are worth sometime.  So if you see an old VF-0S with a buy it now price of $2500 but they are mainly selling for $200, one of those prices is more realistic than the other.

Then just take in the condition of your item and adjust price appropriately.  A lot of times you can even find items that are roughly the condition yours are in to give you an even better idea, or you can get a range from "mint in sealed box" vs "missing pieces/loose/yellowed" and figure out where your item fits in.

Edited by SpaceCowboy

I think you should try selling them; those would be a gold mine for anyone doing customization ( wouldn't have minded those for a couple of my projects, but cash is short right now due to a family disaster!). And SpaceCowboy has some good advice indeed.

Speaking of which:

On 12/16/2019 at 9:38 AM, SpaceCowboy said:

There is definitely some value in it.  It's just a matter of if you are going to get the money you want that makes it worth your time.  Easiest thing is just put it on ebay for either a buy it now or do an auction starting at the minimum it is worth your time to sell it for, then see if anyone bites.

I wouldn't mind having a few of these pieces (I love old worn out stuff that comes cheap, as I have no reservations about playing with it, modifying it etc). 

But usually what I see on ebay is people way overestimating what something is worth (example:  there is a guy selling two incomplete broken Matchbox SDF-1s bundled and he wants $80...I personally think he is going to have a hard time getting that given how broken they are (missing large pieces), but more power to him).  If you just want to get a ballpark on anything you have, go to ebay, do an advanced search on the item you are considering selling, then filter by "sold listings" and that will give you an approximation of what your item is worth and whether it is worth your time to sell them or junk them.   "Sold Listings" is better than just what is out there because of what I said above - people way over value what their possessions are worth sometime.  So if you see an old VF-0S with a buy it now price of $2500 but they are mainly selling for $200, one of those prices is more realistic than the other.

Then just take in the condition of your item and adjust price appropriately.  A lot of times you can even find items that are roughly the condition yours are in to give you an even better idea, or you can get a range from "mint in sealed box" vs "missing pieces/loose/yellowed" and figure out where your item fits in.

Yeah, I saw those SDF-1's and it irritated me. 80 is too much for them IMO, as they're pretty busted up.

On 12/20/2019 at 5:58 PM, pengbuzz said:

Yeah, I saw those SDF-1's and it irritated me. 80 is too much for them IMO, as they're pretty busted up.

I offered him $20 for one of them, but he wouldn't budge (despite him saying in the description he knows nothing about transformers).  I have one that is pristine in box.  I have another that is a bit yellowed, but missing the head and one shoulder turret is broken off.  I have a 3D Printer.  So I could take the pristine one and remodel the head and turret and fix my "display/play" one.  But if I could just find a piece to replace it with it would be easier for me.  But $80!?  I mean, I spent $130 for my in box one, $110 on my 1/5000 Wave one, and far less on my yellowed one, and he wants to sell 2 bundled with missing arms on both (one missing a complete shoulder), missing main guns on both, and who knows what else, and the condition is listed as "good".  lol.  Condition should be "junk/parts"

My guess is he is comparing these to complete unmodified/broken versions and seeing what they sell for and thinking they must not be too far off from that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Vtg-1984-Bandai-Robotech-SDF-1-Fortress-Macross-12-Battle-Transformers/233321045076

Edited by SpaceCowboy

1 hour ago, SpaceCowboy said:

I offered him $20 for one of them, but he wouldn't budge (despite him saying in the description he knows nothing about transformers).  I have one that is pristine in box.  I have another that is a bit yellowed, but missing the head and one shoulder turret is broken off.  I have a 3D Printer.  So I could take the pristine one and remodel the head and turret and fix my "display/play" one.  But if I could just find a piece to replace it with it would be easier for me.  But $80!?  I mean, I spent $130 for my in box one, $110 on my 1/5000 Wave one, and far less on my yellowed one, and he wants to sell 2 bundled with missing arms on both (one missing a complete shoulder), missing main guns on both, and who knows what else, and the condition is listed as "good".  lol.  Condition should be "junk/parts"

My guess is he is comparing these to complete unmodified/broken versions and seeing what they sell for and thinking they must not be too far off from that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Vtg-1984-Bandai-Robotech-SDF-1-Fortress-Macross-12-Battle-Transformers/233321045076

Well that does refer back to what you were saying about the value of which an item should be sold or could be sold. It all depends on the owner. 

I am pretty sure you can find the parts your missing for far less elsewhere.

When I was looking for a turret it took about a year until I found just the turret for the correct side. The right part at the right price. 

Hope you find what you’re looking for.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

• 5 weeks later...