Bye Yamcadia?

Foblander

Who here has or is thinking about getting rid of their Yamcadia VF-1s now that there are DX VF-1s? I'm thinking if I have a VF-1A TV Max, VF-1J Hikaru, and hopefully VF-1S Roy that I'll be pretty happy having one of each and that will satisfy my VF-1 needs. I might keep one (or two) Yamcadia for the strike packs and missles.

Edited by Foblander
Sp

BIG +1 to what Mommar said.  The DX's are just TO DAMN HARD TO GET.  Are they lovely? Sure. (Minus the hideous come apart bar if you look at wrong in the middle) <_< But there is absolutely  NO WAY you can count on Bandai to ever do an as complete line as Yamato did with the 1:60 V2.  Just look at the HM-R line. It's dwindling for sure.  Reason?  Don't know. Won't ever know.  I have the 1J DX and I might try to get the Focker eventually, but like Mommar and a lot of us other old timers, we simply don't have the room/money or time to waste / get angry trying to get every DX that hits the market when we have cabinets full of V2's.  Just my .02.

Well keeping the 1/60 YamaCadias is still a reasonable thing to do. The Bandai DX release schedule is materializing at such a glacial pace that you could never have the entire line as quickly as the 1/60 V2.

Sure the DX is sometimes hard to obtain but that never stopped anyone from trying to get the complete series. Nowadays it seems space is the issue. Money not so much as that resource is always funneled elsewhere when DX availability is scarce.

Having all scales is fun but time and space just making harder to collect.

I don't see Bandai releasing many more versions of their VF-1 DX than Yamato did.  I can't see them doing anything like a "Low Viz", "Woodland", or "Stealth".  I do see them possibly ending the line with a VF-1D and maybe surprising us all with a SuperO and ElintSeeker just to surpass Yamato's legacy in terms of VF types at this scale.

Ironically, to me the biggest issue is the scale...the DX just doesn't line up well with the rest of the "Macross" scale which Yamato more or less cemented it to be 1/60-ish.

The DX line is nice and makes a good centerpiece...but honestly, I can totally see it knocked off it's pedestal by a larger version with more bells and whistles by Bandai itself. 

I am still crossing fingers that some Chinese 3P crew will supersize the current DX and sell it for 100 bucks or less like they have done with some of the Transformers!

The bottom line is that if given the choice, I would totally sell the Bandai VF-1 DX's than sell-off my Yamato/Arcadia 1/60 VF's.....well, until Bandai downsizes the DX to 1/60....:wacko:

It's funny, it looks like KitzConcept is incorporating Bandai DX elements into their 1/72 scale toys so one really has to wonder why Bandia went 1/48 instead of 1/60. Clearly 1/60 would have been feasible, probably with very little change from the 1/48 toys. That's probably the only thing that really irritates me about the DX. at 1/35 it could have been an amazing centerpiece that incorporates all the elements we still want integrated into the toy (albeit at a heftier price tab) and at 1/60 it would have not had to be too different from what this is, been a bit cheaper, and would have fit into all of our collections. I wonder if this came down to a licensing thing where BW was like "Arcadia has a 1/60 line of toys, we would prefer you NOT use the same scale." I imagine Bandai can tell BW what they will and won't do but the suggestion might have been enough for them to convince themselves that 1/48 was better for more reasons. 

I personally will always enjoy the Yamato 1/48s, think they did a fantastic job on the sculpt and features. Great news is that the price has dropped for them, so I was finally able to get the later 2010 releases at decent prices.

Bandai's Dx is fantastic and I will surely support and get them all, but in my opinion their design is more evolutionary, not revolutionary like the Yamatos when they came out, in what was it, 2002 or 3?

Here is a nice comparison video. I think the Yamato holds up quite well after all this time.

I think we all too often say  'XYZ' crushes 'ABC', and it honestly gets old. Why can't we can just have multiple nice versions of things. :)

shows

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

I personally will always enjoy the Yamato 1/48s, think they did a fantastic job on the sculpt and features. Great news is that the price has dropped for them, so I was finally able to get the later 2010 releases at decent prices.

Bandai's Dx is fantastic and I will surely support and get them all, but in my opinion their design is more evolutionary, not revolutionary like the Yamatos when they came out, in what was it, 2002 or 3?

Here is a nice comparison video. I think the Yamato holds up quite well after all this time.

I think we all too often say  'XYZ' crushes 'ABC', and it honestly gets old. Why can't we can just have multiple nice versions of things. :)

shows

Damn Shawn, now you're making me regret not picking up that missing box Yamato 1/48 VF-1S for 5000 yen I saw recently. Why? Because now I want one to fix up so I can put it on side by side with the DX. 

Maybe a cheap one will show up online one of these days... 

An interesting niche here.. the Yammy's, were so awesome that they are still the bar that all 1/48's ( and 1/60's!) will be compared to. Also , and more importantly, They're still relevant!

Edited by Bolt