• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

I'll still watch it but the film looks nothing like the 2014 version which gives me a kinda bad vibe.

Given the premise, it couldn't possibly be any better than Michael Dougherty's King of the Monsters, much less Gareth Edwards' Godzilla... <_<

Just keep your expectations low, and I'm sure you'll appreciate it for what it is. ^_^

10 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Lots of short of trailers out of China. I'll still watch it but the film looks nothing like the 2014 version which gives me a kinda bad vibe. We shall see...

Godzilla 2014 was amazingly good.  I don't think this has any hope of living up to that, so I'll be happy with these giant monsters bashing each other in the face.  I was sold on this movie with that right haymaker thrown by Kong right into Godzilla's snout, and that'll be enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 9:27 AM, TangledThorns said:

B grade action on a A grade budget. Classic Godzilla!!

With Z grade plot and human characters.  At least Classic Godzilla had C grade (or above, depending on which film) there.

Edited by Dynaman

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

At least Classic Godzilla had C grade (or above, depending on which film) there.

I don't know what you consider "classic" Godzilla, but the series has been pretty consistently bad since the beginning... and King Kong vs. Godzilla was one of the stupidest. <_<

A decent monster movie requires everyone to take it seriously -- the writers, the actors, the producers, the special effects artists, and most importantly, the director -- and even then, the results are rarely successful...  :unsure:

Keep your expectations low, or prepare for disappointment.

13 hours ago, tekering said:

I don't know what you consider "classic" Godzilla, but the series has been pretty consistently bad since the beginning... and King Kong vs. Godzilla was one of the stupidest. <_<

Classic = the ORIGINAL Godzilla.  Even better without whats his face from the US version.  Some of the sequels were good as well.  Even the bad ones could be campy fun and none of them (even the smog monster one) is as bad as the second new one done in the US.  (and we all agree to forget that Mathew Broderick one)

17 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Classic = the ORIGINAL Godzilla.

Not one of my favorites, to be honest...

GufiGoji.jpg

...but better than either film calling itself King of the Monsters, I'll grant you.

Still, Godzilla vs. Kong couldn't possibly be worse than anything from the '70s with Godzilla's name on it. <_<

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

OMFG, the f'ing spoilers leaking onto Youtube already. Ugh.

We'll endeavor to be more considerate here. ^_^

OHMYGREATLUNA!!!

Someone leaked the final fight between Godzilla, Kong and Mechagodzilla on Youtube!!!

ONLY your count and risk

(Please delete it if I broke some rule, tanks)

Spoiler

Edited by Old_Nash

16 minutes ago, Old_Nash said:

OHMYGREATLUNA!!!

Someone leaked the final fight between Godzilla, Kong and Mechagodzilla on Youtube!!!

ONLY your count and risk

(Please delete it if I broke some rule, tanks)

Reveal hidden contents

That's what I've been complaining about! WTF!? I'm not expecting huge reveals but just want to keep my eyes virgin till I see the action play out on my vintage 2013 65in Panasonic plasma TV, lol.

14 minutes ago, Guyffon said:

Did anyone caught the battleships that were used in the sea fight scene, throughout the establishing shots you only see carriers and crusiers, then suddenly there is a battleship, I mean I though the US navy stopped using those already?

The last battleships of the Iowa class were retired, put into mothballs, or made into a museum ship not long after the first Gulf War ended.

The last one USS Wisconsin was converted into a partial museum ship with restrictions in case of reactivation up until around 2009 when she was fully retired gifted to the city of Norfolk Va. and any restrictions as a museum ship were lifted.

On 3/24/2021 at 10:20 AM, tekering said:

Still, Godzilla vs. Kong couldn't possibly be worse than anything from the '70s with Godzilla's name on it. <_<

Can't argue with that. The latter half of the '60s and the '79s were not kind to the big G, with All Monsters Attack and Godzilla vs Hedorah (aka Godzilla vs the Smog Monster) being particularly bad. But I'm rather fond of the earlier stuff, including the original King Kong vs Godzilla. It's a bit dated, and a bit silly, but I get what Honda was going for, taken in the context of the era.

That said, I'm a Heisei fan at heart. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is still my favorite Godzilla film.

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I'm a Heisei fan at heart. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah is still my favorite Godzilla film.

I'd agree the Heisei films are more consistent in tone and quality than the Showa series that preceded it (and the Millennium films that followed it, for that matter), but I think this last decade has been The Big G's finest.  I consider both Gareth Edward's Godzilla and Hideaki Anno's Shin Godzilla better than any previous films in the franchise, and I suspect Godzilla vs. Kong will complement Edward's film at least as well as Michael Dougherty's King of the Monsters does.

And, regardless of how you feel about story, plot, or human characters, you can't deny how much more suited CGI is for kaiju than rubber suits or stop-motion ever were. :good: