Air Master

areaseven

airmaster.jpg

Air Master ( エアマスター )

Toei Animation/NTV/VAP, 2003

Toei Animation, 2005

Directed by Daisuke Nishio (Dragon Ball/DBZ/DBGT, Crying Freeman: Portrait of a Killer).

Running time: 25 minutes per episode

Rated 13-Up for graphic violence, slight nudity and HLA.

Based on the manga by Yokusaru Shibata. Maki Aikawa has just moved to a new high school. While she's known for her unusual height (she's at least six feet tall) and her quiet manner, gangs and street fighters in Tokyo know her as the "Air Master", a fighter who mixes acrobatics and martial arts with deadly precision.

Story: B-

In some ways, Air Master can be compared to Azumanga Daioh because the main characters are a group of high school girls. As a matter of fact, the characteristics are very similar with Maki being the Sakaki-type and Renge being the Chiyo-type on crack. On the other hand, Air Master can also be compared to Virtua Fighter and Fatal Fury with its non-stop martial arts action.

Animation: B

Yoshihiko Umakoshi's dull character designs will take a lot of getting used to, but the anime uses some of the wildest camera shots during the fight scenes. Animation is pretty fluid and the fights are well-choreographed. And there are some panty shots, of course.

Soundtrack: B

Air Master has a unique mix of rock and percussion in the BGM. The opening and ending themes totally rock!

Cast

Air Master features Romi Paku (Katie in Macross Zero, Loran in Turn-A Gundam) as Maki, Tomoko Kaneda (Chiyo in Azumanga Daioh, Marie in Please Teacher!) as Renge, Mariko Suzuki (Honoka in Sentimental Journey, Cosmos in Xeonsaga) as Yuu, Masumi Asano (Saga in Sugar, Shouta in Haibane Renmei) as Michiru, Yukana Nogami (Teletha in Full Metal Panic!, Mirai in Moldiver as Mina, Mika Doi (Misa in Macross) as Kaori, Tomokazu Seki (Van in Escaflowne, Sosuke in Full Metal Panic!) as Tokita, and Unshou Ishizuka (Guld in Macross Plus, Jet Black in Cowboy Bebop) as Lucha Master.

The Bottom Line

Air Master is nowhere near as good as Ikki Tousen or Tenjou Tenge, but still entertaining, nevertheless.

Links

Toei Animation's Official Air Master Homepage (Japanese)

VAP's Official Air Master Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Seiyuu Database

Edited by areaseven

A7 you probably haven't seen enough to get to the breast shots and their a lot of them as the series progress. :ph34r::lol:

Characterization of everyone with more than five lines is outstanding compared to most of the clone animes right now. Non-episodic format, you really have to watch the series in order to understand what is going on. Especially when there seemingly no overall plot objective (right word???); like for example saving the world, graduating HS and etc.; present in the series at this moment.

Closest anime I've seen to Airmaster is Natsuki Crisis in terms of fighting choreography, lack of still frames, and fairly realistic fighting styles barring the more outlandish stuff.

i have to disagree with you. this is a pretty retarded series. the character designs are crap, and the 'story' is mind numbing (altough i suppose the illicit affair between the butch and the big breasted one is fairly interesting).

the only redeeming feature are the over-the-top fight scenes.

Damn, saw the title and thought it was going to be an aviation anime :(

Graham

That's what I also thought when I first saw it at the torrent lists. I also thought it was a Gundam X side story, as there was a Gundam Airmaster. I didn't realize it wasn't a mecha anime until I picked up a recent issue of Newtype USA.

this is a pretty retarded series. 
] How is it retarded?
the character designs are crap,
Matter of opinion

(altough i suppose the illicit affair between the butch and the big breasted one is fairly interesting).
The big-breasted girl is merely infatuated with Maki. Who in turn is frankly not sexually interested in either gender. Still better then the incest triangle in Ikkitousen. Edited by Mislovrit

the character designs are crap,
Matter of opinion

SPOILERS

er yes as reviews are generally opinion based. my opinion is that the women in air master are puke-a-licious.

further altough it has some neat fight scenes the best redeeming features are the comedic moments. there really isn't much by way of a plot. i think the WWE crowd would probably enjoy this series the most because surely you're not going to watch it for the eye candy. i do admit the comedic moments can be funny so in that spirit i will say that if you want fan service watch ikki, if you want jimmy superfly snuka watch air master.

I also disagree as Ms.Jumbo-sized-pillow-chest comes out and says she's Maki's lover.

either way both series are junk (imo).

Edited by MrDisco

I also disagree as Ms.Jumbo-sized-pillow-chest comes out and says she's Maki's lover.
If you've look as Maki's face when Ms. Boobs said that you'll know they not sleeping together. It just Ms. Boobs attempting to mark her territory against possible rivals.

Is it just me or some of the characters look like they're drawn or inspired by Koutarou (Girl Power dojins)?

either way both series are junk (imo).

Let's us toast to that one, ok. :ph34r::lol: At least they're entertaining junk. What do you think of Usagichan de Cue!!? Edited by Mislovrit