What if Hikaru Utada (of Kingdom Hearts: them song fame) was a guest idol in a future Macross series?

Macrossfanx9

I mean her music is top notch especially the beautiful Sakura Drops song which I love. It would be cool if a future Macross series instalment had her as a guest Idol complete with songs sung by her along with even the character modified after her. She gives Mari Iijima a run for her money. Would you want it to happen give your thoughts?

51 minutes ago, Macrossfanx9 said:

It would be cool if a future Macross series installment had her as a guest Idol complete with songs sung by her along with even the character modified after her. She gives Mari Iijima a run for her money. Would you want it to happen give your thoughts?

Eh... putting aside my dislike of Kingdom Hearts, I don't think Hikaru Utada is stylistically a good fit for Macross.

Macross's music tends to be more uptempo, bouncy pop music with the occasional sad song thrown in.  The obvious exceptions being Fire Bomber, which was uptempo rock music and the occasional ballad, and Sharon Apple's more experimental pop style that was achieved by having virtually every track be by a different artist.  Hikaru Utada's style, or at least the parts of it I've been most exposed to, are almost exclusively slow, sad songs, most of which sound the same.  Not really a great fit, in my opinion.  

That kind of cameo is also pretty expensive, and even well-funded anime productions are still running on a razor-thin margin.  If they're going to do something like that, I'd rather see a collection of previous Macross vocalists collaborate on a show's opening, like what was done in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part IV: Diamond is Unbreakable with the UNITS version of Great Days.

8 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Eh... putting aside my dislike of Kingdom Hearts, I don't think Hikaru Utada is stylistically a good fit for Macross.

Macross's music tends to be more uptempo, bouncy pop music with the occasional sad song thrown in.  The obvious exceptions being Fire Bomber, which was uptempo rock music and the occasional ballad, and Sharon Apple's more experimental pop style that was achieved by having virtually every track be by a different artist.  Hikaru Utada's style, or at least the parts of it I've been most exposed to, are almost exclusively slow, sad songs, most of which sound the same.  Not really a great fit, in my opinion.  

That kind of cameo is also pretty expensive, and even well-funded anime productions are still running on a razor-thin margin.  If they're going to do something like that, I'd rather see a collection of previous Macross vocalists collaborate on a show's opening, like what was done in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part IV: Diamond is Unbreakable with the UNITS version of Great Days.

I get your point about her style not being Macross worthy.

On 11/23/2019 at 11:03 AM, Macrossfanx9 said:

I get your point about her style not being Macross worthy.

I wouldn't exactly say that Utada Hikaru is not Macross worthy....as much as I love Macross, I think it's beneath her to sing the crap that's currently being churned out by the "idols".