What the hell?  Is this where we're going now?

Halloween: H20 erased The Return of Michael Myers, The Revenge of Michael Myers, and The Curse of Michael Myers...

Terminator: Dark Fate erased Rise of the Machines, Salvation, and Genisys...

Halloween (2018) erased every sequel and remake produced before it...

Why shouldn't RoboCop Returns do the same?  <_<

Hell, let's bring back Crispin Glover and Claudia Wells for Back to the Future Again, and pretend Parts II & III never happened.  :unsure:

We'll see how it goes.  The original Robocop is one of my all-time favorite movies, but Robocop was pretty mediocre and Robocop 3 flat out sucked (to be fair, I read the Boom Comics Robocop, which was supposed to be Frank Miller's uncensored original vision for Robocop 2 and 3, and it wasn't any better), so a sequel to the original without the baggage of the other two is a better idea than a Robocop 4.

I just re-watched the OG RC last week again. A classic. I haven't seen RC2 in a long time but I remember enjoying it. RC3 was a complete dumpster fire.

I kinda liked the 2014 Reboot. I can't think of anything with Joel Kinnaman in it I didn't like (he's so dreamy!:p). The 2014 WAS NOT the OG, but as a stand alone wasn't too bad. Should have been rated R though to get that real RC feel though. I did really like the warehouse scene in the dark. It was fantastically shot and I appreciated how they got away with tat level of violence while remaining PG13 because of the way it was shot.

I might be misremembering things but wasn't this announced long ago (like a year ago?).  Seems like a brand new announcement though.

Not much to ruin either way.  There is only one good Robocop film.  

When Robocop first came out my non-Macross liking friends ribbed me on the Mech like Robocop.  I didn't go see the film right away but they did and were gushing about the darn thing.

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

I kinda liked the 2014 Reboot.

Me too!

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

The 2014 WAS NOT the OG, but as a stand alone wasn't too bad.

And I think that's why I liked it. If it tried to hard to be the OG it never would have measured up.

OG RC is such a guilty pleasure! I liked the first sequel after it though the third did bite robo-dong. I had hopes for the 2014 version until I learned it was a reboot.

For this I'll be cautiously optimistic.

I didn't mind the 2014 film as it tried to be some what different and worked off of some of the original content that they wanted to do in the older films but didn't fit right. Such as how much man versus machine there was with murphy, the question about the right arm which was also done in the comic books at one point seeing a robocop production line and there was someone with his right arm still attached to mechanisms in the chassis.

I'm curious to see how this take on the original RC will go as Peter Weller is far to old and not the least bit interested in reprising the role these days, Robert Burke is still  heavily active in the acting world and he doesn't look to old to place the part, or I guess just someone entirely new?

The thing I liked the most about the 2014 movie is that they didn't even try to copy the themes of the first one.  OG RC (and I'll never refer to it any other way now) was all about Alex Murphy fighting his way back through the machine, which is a VERY 1980s mentality.  Now people are so hooked into technology that that theme would never work.  I like how they really worked in how the Corps had their fingers in every pie.  OmniCorp was a lot more oppressive overtly, as opposed to being a rogue actor like Dick Jones.  And the paid corporate mouthpiece is as blunt a swipe at so many so-called newsmen on tv today. 

The original Robocop has long been one of my favorite films, and one of the rare few I got to see in the theatre as a kid. The second is ok- it's passable, but I never liked the portrayal of The Old Man as a villain. He seemed liked he had at least a shred of moral fiber in the first film, while Dick Jones and Clarence and the gang were the true baddies. But, at least it told a cohesive story. The Robocop 2 design was interesting for how much it departed from the original. Both films had some great stop-motion, especially ED-209 tumbling down the steps and throwing a tantrum. Film gold right there. I've only ever seen RC3 once, and that was enough. 

The 2014 movie was ok. I liked it, but not nearly as much as the original film, which, in my mind, set its own bar for violence, dark humor, social/political commentary, and satire. I liked all those things about Starship Troopers, as well.  I've only seen the 2014 film once, in the theatre, and about the only thing I remember is where they remove all the artificial stuff and all that's left of his organics are his head, esophagus, lungs and a hand. Cool and disturbing all at once.

For a direct sequel to the original, they've got big shoes to fill, and high expectations to meet- it's still a film that's in a class of its own so far as I'm concerned, and it'll take a lot to even try and match the various charms of the original.

• 2 months later...

Saw the original at the drive in theater. Loved it. The 2014 version was quite forgettable. Let's see what kind of a rabbit gets pulled out of their @$$ on this one.

I wouldn't buy a ticket to another Robocop remake for a dollar...

6 hours ago, Bolt said:

Robocop 1987 was rated R. What are the chances we're looking at another pg-13 flick..? 

I'd put it at 50/50.  Some R rated films have done very well recently (Deadpool) so it is not out of the question like it used to be a decade ago.

• 6 months later...

Damn, was hoping there was some updates on the film.  Oh well, an ED-209 kit would be cool.

Peter Weller doesn't want to do it anymore?  I think he could still pull it off, despite his age.  He's got the right voice.

Same here on the film.

There's no replacing the voice for sure. Age-wise man I dunno...it's kinda hard watching Stallone and Arnie in any geriatric roles but you know who could probably pull it off is that actor from 1917 (George Mackay) he kinda looks like him (quik photochop)...

robo_comparo.png

They'd need a little makeup to mimic Wellar's signature philtrum!

I could see (if Weller did return) him playing an old RobotCop, retired an all and the whole program was shelved after the second movie as being a failure and a waste. What they did instead was move entirely to drones and androids, like the ED-209. Sure it failed against RoboCop but there is only one him and it was a prototype. Now there are hundreds of EDs and aerial HKs policing the streets but, guess what, something has gone wrong! Someone has hijacked the system and turned them into an occupying force!

Now Robocop must come out of retirement, only he is now with a second RoboCop prototype (a he or she) that was constructed in secret by someone who saw this new threat coming. Now he has to teach this young whipper snapper how to do Justice while saving New Detroit!

30 minutes ago, Thom said:

I could see (if Weller did return) him playing an old RobotCop, retired an all and the whole program was shelved after the second movie as being a failure and a waste. What they did instead was move entirely to drones and androids, like the ED-209. Sure it failed against RoboCop but there is only one him and it was a prototype. Now there are hundreds of EDs and aerial HKs policing the streets but, guess what, something has gone wrong! Someone has hijacked the system and turned them into an occupying force!

Now Robocop must come out of retirement, only he is now with a second RoboCop prototype (a he or she) that was constructed in secret by someone who saw this new threat coming. Now he has to teach this young whipper snapper how to do Justice while saving New Detroit!

I could get behind this.  It has a simple logistical flow from the first film.  Plus, the idea of hundreds of ED-209s patrolling streets sets my heart aflutter. Such a wondrously beautiful design.

2 hours ago, Bobby said:

Same here on the film.

There's no replacing the voice for sure. Age-wise man I dunno...it's kinda hard watching Stallone and Arnie in any geriatric roles but you know who could probably pull it off is that actor from 1917 (George Mackay) he kinda looks like him (quik photochop)...

robo_comparo.png

They'd need a little makeup to mimic Wellar's signature philtrum!

They really should use the ED Newman's original script for the sequel AKA Corporate Wars, which was  put down by Orion, in favor of RoboCop2 .