Delta Characters are strange

EastwindS2k

IMHO, Delta characters often don't make sense. Freya for example, ran away from her planet without a feasible plan. She also charged to a frenzy Regult (which was firing on her) and started singing, or jumped off a ship in mid air to sing a song... 

Characters' behavior should make sense. Delta characters often got excited for no reason, it's like they are doped or something. 

The next movie title: Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!!  

Go figure. 

Edited by EastwindS2k

10 hours ago, EastwindS2k said:

IMHO, Delta characters often don't make sense.

Granted, there are plenty of examples in Macross Delta where the show's sh*t-awful amateur hour writing makes the characters behave in unbelievable and ridiculous ways... but your examples actually have pretty good explanations.  Some of the seemingly nonsensical calls in the show actually make good sense in context, but only if you've read the backstory stuff like White Knight of the Black Wing.

One of the better examples of nonsensical behavior in Macross Delta is Messer's funeral.  Watching the entire cast get collective amnesia about what kind of person Messer was is just bizarre, given that he was an antisocial jack*ss who did little else besides belittle, berate, and even threaten his squadmates and their big "see, he really cared" was a journal crammed with his detailed notes and nitpicks about how much his junior coworkers sucked at their jobs.  They're acting like they lost a beloved best friend, not an incredibly toxic coworker that had only just been revealed to basically be Kaname's stalker.

Freya for example, ran away from her planet without a feasible plan.

She had a plan.  It wasn't a great plan, but she IS a 14 year old teenage girl chasing a dream.

Freyja's dream was to join Tactical Sound Unit Walkure.  When she learned that they were going to be holding auditions for new members on Ragna, she tried to kill two birds with one stone by stowing away on an outbound freighter carrying fresh produce from her homeworld of Windermere IV and in so doing also avoid an arranged marriage to a farmer's son that her village leader was trying to set up.  If she hadn't gotten on the wrong ship, her plan could potentially have been a complete success.  

It wasn't like she could just ask the freighter crews what ship was going where when her goal was to stow away unnoticed in order to leave her isolationist homeworld.  She wouldn't have been able to get offworld any other way given Windermere IV's isolationist policies and hostility towards the New UN Government and Freyja herself being an orphan who was only 14 at the time and had no real money.  She did get offworld on time and without being detected... she just landed on the wrong planet.  Though, all told, it still worked out fine since she met Hayate at the port in Shahal City and that led to her getting shortlisted for a secret audition for Walkure anyway.

She also charged to a frenzy Regult (which was firing on her) and started singing, or jumped off a ship in mid air to sing a song... 

Well, in the former case, she does idolize Walkure... and especially Mikumo... and Walkure does that kind of thing as a matter of course (and were doing exactly that at the time she did it too).  So, it makes sense in context.  

13 hours ago, EastwindS2k said:

Actually other shows have weird behaved characters too. For example, nearly everyone in the First Order is either pissed off or screaming when they were on screen.

Maybe this is the new trend.

Nah, it's old as anime itself. Have you ever seen a Tomino Gundam show? The decision making of some the characters sometimes make you ask yourself what kind of fumes the writing team was inhaling when they made this stuff.

6 hours ago, Marzan said:

Nah, it's old as anime itself. Have you ever seen a Tomino Gundam show? The decision making of some the characters sometimes make you ask yourself what kind of fumes the writing team was inhaling when they made this stuff.

To be fair, the characters in Yoshiyuki Tomino's Gundam shows usually aren't the most psychologically stable individuals in the solar system... and their dysfunctions are usually not only acknowledged, but attributed to the kind of world they live in.

For example, Casval Rem Deikun was ten pounds of crazy in a five pound bag because his dad was a raving bloody lunatic and he spent pretty much his entire childhood living in fear of being assassinated the way his dad (probably) was.  Amuro's borderline hikikomori behavior and self-esteem issues are directly connected in-series to his parents separation and his dad neglecting the cr*p out of him to work on Project V.  Kamille had the same neglect issues, plus suffering bullying over his name, plus the damage inflicted by accidentally killing his own mother.  Uso was literally raised by an insurgent group and grew up playing in mobile suit combat simulators intended to train pilots for war.  Judau's an orphan and sole provider for a younger sister at age 14, living in the slums and doing dangerous work to pay for her education.  Kind of a recurring theme here of "war breaks people, broken people make war".  The only ones Tomino wrote who are halfway well-adjusted are Loran Cehack and Bellri Zenam, who both grew up during long periods of peacetime.

Macross Delta's characters don't really have that kind of excuse... they're mostly just underdeveloped, poorly thought-out knockoffs of Macross Frontier characters, and as such behave in ways that try to make them more like the characters they're knocking off even if it isn't contextually appropriate.

34 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

scep.1.png

Characters from universes connected by the Super Dimension have always been weird.  Delta’s just continuing the tradition.

Eh, I dunno about that.

Kei Katsuragi might be a skirt chaser and a bit of an adrenaline junkie, but he's got his head on straight in Orguss and most of what he and the rest of the cast do makes decent sense.

Jeanne Francaix from Southern Cross is a bit weird, but her behavior makes sense in context after the reveal that she literally doesn't care about her career.  She only joined the army to find a husband, with every intention of quitting ASAP when she found a guy.  (It makes sense in context once you account for the military being mostly for show until the Zor showed up.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

On 11/12/2019 at 5:02 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

To be fair, the characters in Yoshiyuki Tomino's Gundam shows usually aren't the most psychologically stable individuals in the solar system... and their dysfunctions are usually not only acknowledged, but attributed to the kind of world they live in.

For example, Casval Rem Deikun was ten pounds of crazy in a five pound bag because his dad was a raving bloody lunatic and he spent pretty much his entire childhood living in fear of being assassinated the way his dad (probably) was.  Amuro's borderline hikikomori behavior and self-esteem issues are directly connected in-series to his parents separation and his dad neglecting the cr*p out of him to work on Project V.  Kamille had the same neglect issues, plus suffering bullying over his name, plus the damage inflicted by accidentally killing his own mother.  Uso was literally raised by an insurgent group and grew up playing in mobile suit combat simulators intended to train pilots for war.  Judau's an orphan and sole provider for a younger sister at age 14, living in the slums and doing dangerous work to pay for her education.  Kind of a recurring theme here of "war breaks people, broken people make war".  The only ones Tomino wrote who are halfway well-adjusted are Loran Cehack and Bellri Zenam, who both grew up during long periods of peacetime.

Macross Delta's characters don't really have that kind of excuse... they're mostly just underdeveloped, poorly thought-out knockoffs of Macross Frontier characters, and as such behave in ways that try to make them more like the characters they're knocking off even if it isn't contextually appropriate.

Eh, I dunno about that.

Kei Katsuragi might be a skirt chaser and a bit of an adrenaline junkie, but he's got his head on straight in Orguss and most of what he and the rest of the cast do makes decent sense.

Jeanne Francaix from Southern Cross is a bit weird, but her behavior makes sense in context after the reveal that she literally doesn't care about her career.  She only joined the army to find a husband, with every intention of quitting ASAP when she found a guy.  (It makes sense in context once you account for the military being mostly for show until the Zor showed up.)

To be fair when I posted this I was thinking a lot about Gundam Reconguista  which I caught recently. Some of the decision making of the characters  there bears no relation to their background or description. They just do...

4 hours ago, Marzan said:

To be fair when I posted this I was thinking a lot about Gundam Reconguista  which I caught recently. Some of the decision making of the characters  there bears no relation to their background or description. They just do...

Reconguista... The characters barely seemed human with how odd their decision making was.

My least liked Gundam series, I still can't believe I watched the whole dumpster fire.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

5 hours ago, Marzan said:

To be fair when I posted this I was thinking a lot about Gundam Reconguista  which I caught recently. Some of the decision making of the characters there bears no relation to their background or description. They just do...

54 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Reconguista... The characters barely seemed human with how odd their decision making was.

My least liked Gundam series, I still can't believe I watched the whole dumpster fire.

At least with Reconguista in G you can excuse some of the insanity with the idea that the Reguild Century is a spacefuture where humanity has literally forgotten how to do that "war" thing after several lifetimes of peace and pacifism, and so the story revolves around the actions of kids like Bellri who grew up in an almost Federation-like pacifist utopia (or the nuts from Venus Globe who have probably gone crazy from space radiation-induced mutations).  

Macross Delta's cast only has one member who can really use an excuse like that: Mikumo.  Even then, it's only because she's literally three years old by dint of being an illegal clone.

I mean, have you been watching anime much? There's so many wacky behaviors going on all over the place. Of course the context and circumstances help dictate their behavior , nevertheless one does spend much time shaking ones head..

Also remember a fair amount of anime, especially our beloved Macross, is not made for us westerners. 

So sit back and enjoy the craziness that will undoubtedly be Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! And pray for awesome mecha action while you sing along.

On 11/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, EastwindS2k said:

IMHO, Delta characters often don't make sense. Freya for example, ran away from her planet without a feasible plan. She also charged to a frenzy Regult (which was firing on her) and started singing, or jumped off a ship in mid air to sing a song... 

Characters' behavior should make sense. Delta characters often got excited for no reason, it's like they are doped or something. 

Go figure. 

Yep different kind of people, oh well.

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2019 at 12:25 PM, EastwindS2k said:

Go figure. 

Delta is the dumbest of Macross shows. 

44 minutes ago, Einherjar said:

You sure? Because at the rate it’s going it is one guitar controlled vehicle away from being one. :lol:

It's more like Robotech cosplaying as Macross, because it wants to be "American Macross" when it grows up.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:50 PM, Bolt said:

I mean, have you been watching anime much? There's so many wacky behaviors going on all over the place. Of course the context and circumstances help dictate their behavior , nevertheless one does spend much time shaking ones head..

Also remember a fair amount of anime, especially our beloved Macross, is not made for us westerners. 

So sit back and enjoy the craziness that will undoubtedly be Macross Delta Zettai Live!!!!!! And pray for awesome mecha action while you sing along.

As to "weird behaviors", try M7 for some bizzare antics! I'm sure SFDM also has its' share, as well as M+.

Oh, from the discussion I was under the impression that Robotech Remix was a, well, remix of the Robotech animation... which is to say, the Macross animation. Like I thought there was a second airing in the 90s or something with re-edited scenes or something. If it's just the Titan Comics continuing run, then, well, okay then.

• 1 month later...