VF-1 Booster Launch Vehicle in stock at SSM!

Return To Kit Form

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Bolt said:

Nice!

I wonder if these things were also designed to launch Valks in the vacuum of space  or other planet surfaces .  Like from the surface of the moon..or from a planet like Mars.

Probably not necessary in space, moon as well, but if a VF-1 were on a planet with significant atmosphere and gravitational pull, you'd need a booster. It wasn't until later that valk engines had enough power on their own.

Dammit. I opened up my box to inspect the kit and the distinctive vertical details on one of the two main pieces--the top one--are damaged. Those two pieces were not individually bubble-wrapped, so they likely bounced around and hit the sides of the box and other pieces during transit to Starship Modeler or to me. On one side two of them broke off. I found them in the box and can glue them back on. With some strategic sanding, you'll never know. The other side, the one you want to display because of the lineart and how the vehicle is configured, is a different matter. Looks like there were some casting issues and those parts came out mostly hollow due to air bubbles. They crumbled. Making those whole again is going to take a lot of effort. I reached out to SSM to ask if I can exchange this part for one of the others they still have in stock.

20191123_154557.jpg

20191123_154617.jpg

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Bummer.. that's very disappointing and extra work for you:(  I hope they can replace it for you.

Me, too. It might be a few years before I can get to this kit and by then I'm sure SSM will have sold all of their remaining stock, so I'm glad that I checked. I've seen expert MW modelers like @tekeringdo some amazing work in far more challenging situations (@Return To Kit Formcompetition entries, for example), but I'd like to avoid that if I can. The kit itself is really well done and fits together seamlessly with the launch rail, booster, and 1/72 Hasegawa VF-1...all of which I have to build.... @captain americais a true master designer.

Edited by Anasazi37

I think you can fix that with some styrene bars of the same width, after you clean up just the damaged portions with a sharp blade. Straight cuts and it should turn out nicely.

36 minutes ago, arbit said:

I think you can fix that with some styrene bars of the same width, after you clean up just the damaged portions with a sharp blade. Straight cuts and it should turn out nicely.

Good idea. That will be my plan if SSM can't or won't do an exchange for the part.

2 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

Bugger! John likes to use standard pieces for detailing so you should be able to find some evergreen styrene that will work. 

I reached out to him today and he was kind enough to respond. He couldn't recall what he specifically used, but he said it was something standard and, worst case, I could just completely replace the details with styrene rails I modify myself. ^_^