MOSCATO 1/72 QUEADLUUN-RAU PROJECT

captain america

"It’s only now that I’ve gotten it almost done that I realize what a lackluster job Club M did with their 1/72 Q-Rau kit all those years ago."  Captain America

Yes, your kit is a massive improvement, amazing detail I'm very excited to see one of these built and displayed.  :o

It always made me wonder where the torso armament got it's ammo supply, and how it's fed into the barrels from the side.  Since the pilot is directly in front of where they would normally be loaded from.  I suppose somewhere in the chest area, plus anime magic.  :lol:  The bore is quite large, but then I see three smaller holes inside of the cannons.  I wonder if the cannons are also meant to rotate like a Gatling gun.

2 x medium-bore fire-linked impact cannons (mounted front torso)

Edited by ChristopherB
Correction

Captain's log: Friday, January 3rd.

The Milia bust is done and parts are being readied for the production of instruction plates prior to mold-prep. Yes, the figure will have a clear visor. I didn't assemble the full cockpit for the pic simply because the Super Sculpey bust is extremely fragile and I don't want to risk damaging it prior to molding. I also have to add the mecha interface sockets into her chest plate, but otherwise she's fine. Decals are almost done, just a few adjustments to make to the fit. Longer project than expected, but so very satisfying. :) 

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

Captain's log: Friday, January 10th. Decal artwork is done. Mold-prep is done, and molding will commence in a couple of days. 

Mold-prep is a surprisingly intensive and tedious process, which consists of two parts: the first is sealing-off all the tiny little gaps, nooks and deep crevices between bonded parts that would cause mold defects and cause damage to the part upon demold. The second part is to examine the piece to be molded, evaluate its potential resin flow characteristics and attach sprues and gates. You want to maximize resin flow into the cavity, and at the same time, not butcher fine detail and somehow make it as easy to extract a cast part from its mold. 

Sometimes that’s easier said than done. I have a tendency to paint myself into a molding corner with some very odd, complex parts, but I usually manage to wiggle my way out. By this time next week, I’ll have a few castings ready. 

Are you excited?? Cos I certainly am!!! :wub::yahoo:

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 12.08.39 PM.png

10 hours ago, captain america said:

Captain's log: Friday, January 10th. Decal artwork is done. Mold-prep is done, and molding will commence in a couple of days. 

Mold-prep is a surprisingly intensive and tedious process, which consists of two parts: the first is sealing-off all the tiny little gaps, nooks and deep crevices between bonded parts that would cause mold defects and cause damage to the part upon demold. The second part is to examine the piece to be molded, evaluate its potential resin flow characteristics and attach sprues and gates. You want to maximize resin flow into the cavity, and at the same time, not butcher fine detail and somehow make it as easy to extract a cast part from its mold. 

Sometimes that’s easier said than done. I have a tendency to paint myself into a molding corner with some very odd, complex parts, but I usually manage to wiggle my way out. By this time next week, I’ll have a few castings ready. 

Are you excited?? Cos I certainly am!!! :wub::yahoo:

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 12.08.39 PM.png

Nice decal artwork ^_^

Captain's log: Friday, January 17th. 

Molds are done! The process went surprisingly well, despite the complexity of certain parts. Seemed like a good use if 15lbs of silicone! ^_^ Preliminary casting has already begun and the results are excellent. Will have more pics in the next few days.

Decals: looking good, despite some teething troubles needing to be massaged. 

IMG_1730.jpg

initial_sample.jpg

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

That's a lot of silicone.  How many QR's will you be able to get out of those?

About 30 good castings, if I baby the molds. Technically I can get about 35 pulls, but in my estimation the quality of the last 5 or so doesn't meet quality standards, and I want the last casting to be substantially the same as the first.

9 hours ago, captain america said:

Captain's log: Friday, January 17th. 

Molds are done! The process went surprisingly well, despite the complexity of certain parts. Seemed like a good use if 15lbs of silicone! ^_^ Preliminary casting has already begun and the results are excellent. Will have more pics in the next few days.

Decals: looking good, despite some teething troubles needing to be massaged. 

IMG_1730.jpg

initial_sample.jpg

Working on the decals. For MW members waiting for me to fill orders, this is the ALPS printer issue that I was telling you about. It’s driving me crazy. Hope to have it resolved by tomorrow. 

45 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Maybe she won't fit in there with the hatch down..

Partly this, partly the fact that the hinges for the cockpit covers aren't movable. Arguably, you could grind the figure or the cockpit in a few strategic places to get the covers to fit over her, but it's easier just to take the pilot out, and combine that with hatch magnets to make a kit that you can display open or closed.

• 2 weeks later...