Jump to content

Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Absolutely. "Selling out" is an integral part of of the industry. 

Had a good chuckle at "artistic integrity" though. :lol:

Fair enough. Personally, I'd be surprised if any Macross artist ever made a truckload of money in their entire lifetime from the franchise. Well, I guess maybe in Yen, it's highly possible.:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Slave IV said:

True, but do you think Bandai or anyone else is dumping a truckload of money off at Kawamori's house to get him to approve something against his artistic integrity?

Kawamori considers variations by different designers to be their own flair.  There is no "against artistic integrity" when he actively encourages deviations in different mediums.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mommar said:

Kawamori considers variations by different designers to be their own flair.  There is no "against artistic integrity" when he actively encourages deviations in different mediums.

Agree. Basically I’m saying I don’t think he is just signing off on stuff blindly for a check. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it's worse than just the gap. IMO the whole assembly looks odd and lineart inaccurate. I hope this is one of the places to be revised by the sculptor.

yf-21-battroid-1.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Make it look like that, and fighter mode will be off. That’s a long piece to have to try to hide. 
 

The 21 has far too much anime magic to make everybody happy. There will be compromises. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Reïvaj said:

The shin has always been retractable, I can't see why it would be a problem nor how it wold affect the fighter mode.

Here's the thing... the shin probably is retractable. I highly doubt bandai wouldn't make it retractable.  Now the question is "why is it so short where the top shin is missing?" That might have to do with whats in the calf/leg section above it.

Or the design this time around might be entirely different. Where the shin could possibly swivel 180 degrees so the foot is in the calf when it changes to fighter mode. I only believe this maybe possible because we know there's a cover in tail section of the fighter mode which hides the feet, unlike yamato's version.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 10:49 PM, Slave IV said:

Agree. Basically I’m saying I don’t think he is just signing off on stuff blindly for a check. 

And we're say his approval means squat when it comes to how good or accurate a toy is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm actually curious to know how much veto power or input Kawamori San actually has. My assumption is that Bandai sent over a prototype with a card that said. Look what we did. Hope you like it. Have a nice day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I'm actually curious to know how much veto power or input Kawamori San actually has. My assumption is that Bandai sent over a prototype with a card that said. Look what we did. Hope you like it. Have a nice day. 

Probably, LOL

Reminds me of one of the best answers I have ever heard from someone when they asked if they sold out. The singer for Tool (Maynard?) was being interviewed and was asked what he has to say to the people that say Tool has sold out. 

"Hell yes we sold out. We've been trying to sell out for years!":rofl:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Probably, LOL

Reminds me of one of the best answers I have ever heard from someone when they asked if they sold out. The singer for Tool (Maynard?) was being interviewed and was asked what he has to say to the people that say Tool has sold out. 

"Hell yes we sold out. We've been trying to sell out for years!":rofl:

 

He already put that sentiment in a song back in the 90's, Hooker with a Penis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, crackpot said:

He already put that sentiment in a song back in the 90's, Hooker with a Penis.

I think that's when I saw that interview. Maybe? IDK, that was about 300 years ago.:D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crackpot said:

He already put that sentiment in a song back in the 90's, Hooker with a Penis.

Haha!

Yeah, I mean any artist who works for a corporation that owns their work has sold out. But selling out is often the goal of someone creating art. What better acknowledgement than for your art to sell out and have the most people possible appreciating it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 1:34 PM, Bolt said:

I'm actually curious to know how much veto power or input Kawamori San actually has. My assumption is that Bandai sent over a prototype with a card that said. Look what we did. Hope you like it. Have a nice day. 

They had his approval for the first DX VF-25 too.  Remember how that mess turned out?

Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the chances that Ver.5 might look like this? ^_^

F666277E-4887-49AC-8367-118161F12AFE.jpeg.d4d1de14b548a9856cfe2108fe2fa405.jpeg

 

Also, I’m starting not to like how short the side skirt panel is. :nea:

 

Edited by no3Ljm
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

What are the chances that Ver.5 might look like this? ^_^

Also, I’m starting not to like how short the side skirt panel is. :nea:

 

What's up? Chow Yun Fatt 大哥。Happy new year!

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, VF22fan said:

What's up? Chow Yun Fatt 大哥。Happy new year!

Ok. Happy New Year to you too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I look at the prototype the less I like it. We've been discussing endlessly how the YF-21 relies on anime magic to the point that an accurate toy is impossible, yet we've seen better attempts before. The Hi Metal prototype shown a couple of years ago for example, had me so hyped. It looked glorious in both modes and was half the size. The same was said many times about the 19 and with some clever engineering, both Arcadia and Bandai nailed it. with this it looks like Bandai went overboard with the engineering but they didn't accomplish anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Lonely Soldier Boy said:

The more I look at the prototype the less I like it. We've been discussing endlessly how the YF-21 relies on anime magic to the point that an accurate toy is impossible, yet we've seen better attempts before. The Hi Metal prototype shown a couple of years ago for example, had me so hyped. It looked glorious in both modes and was half the size. The same was said many times about the 19 and with some clever engineering, both Arcadia and Bandai nailed it. with this it looks like Bandai went overboard with the engineering but they didn't accomplish anything.

I agree. I like how the Hi-Metal prototype.

HiMetal_YF21.jpg.e92e88081e19da325f616a2c08061227.jpg

And I really don't mind if it's going to be a partsformer as long that the Battroid looks like this. In which I think it looks close to the Bandai's Hi-Metal prototype.

YF21.jpg.6d4a774a75dd1accb3c28ffe443ef6fd.jpg

Wave_YF21.jpg.b848eee460b6f8934f0a171898fb8955.jpg

But ofcourse in the end, I'm still going to end up getting this DX YF-21 just to go with my YF-19. Bandai should also consider to include Fast Packs and the Fold Booster for the release.

 

 

Edited by no3Ljm
Link to post
Share on other sites

The short and oddly-angled bellyplates are something I and a few other folks have been harping about for awhile.

Based on the pics we saw of the prototype, that design choice (having the back third of the bellyplates become part of the battroid backpack) could also muck up the look of the Gerwalk mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're all for the partsforming, then you may as well go all the way and just get separate toys of all three modes.

NOT THAT THAT'S A BAD THING AT ALL. COME ON HASEGAWA BATTROID YF-19 WHEN

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

If you're all for the partsforming, then you may as well go all the way and just get separate toys of all three modes.

NOT THAT THAT'S A BAD THING AT ALL. COME ON HASEGAWA BATTROID YF-19 WHEN

For me, it's just the leg portion that I think that needs to be partsforming. I mean, you know that the DX VF-1 legs can be removed via its T-bar joint, right?

Besides, I don't have time to build and paint. ^_^

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To quote BSG:  “All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.” ;)

Eugimon’s Omega PantsTM was basically this same idea of having add-on parts to make the 21’s legs stockier for battroid mode.

Edited by Mog
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, frankell05 said:

seriously when the hell is hasegawa gonna make a yf-19 and yf-21 battroid?? just ranting

You're ranting on the wrong thread, sir. :rolleyes:  Better rant on the proper Hasegawa thread instead. ^_^

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 11:10 PM, Reïvaj said:

YF-21 DX-Yamato Comparison_1.jpg

Thanks @Reïvaj, this cross section really highlights the differences.

Seems to me Bandia traded thicker legs for thinner arms. Guess you cant have both fit.

And here's me playing with my toys... Pick your poison.

1629662131_2020-01-1417_58_28.thumb.jpg.6031852eb5b3ddc1fa9096245477879a.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still just baffled at how microscopic the arms look.  They have all that freaking room behind the hand in fighter, because they made the back end so long, and they couldn't use any of that to give it arms that look in-scale with the rest of the battroid?

That angle does benefit the fighter a lot though.  With the nose tilted away from the camera, the perspective hides the fact that the nose is so short, and how the bulk of the design is so front-loaded.

Still disappointed that they somehow are so blind that they can't shape the tails correctly, despite there being literally no reason for them not to be... though on the other hand, being so simple, it would also be really easy to just replace them with scratch-built copies that ditch the rudder (because seriously Bandai, WTF is that for? :wacko:).

Link to post
Share on other sites

^^Another thing to point out is that the Yamato cockpit splits and a very small portion of it folds over the nose cone.

Making the Yamato’s center fuselage/cockpit/nose section even longer than the Bandai’s.

I suspect Bandai made the arms smaller, as they’re covered up/boxed in for fighter mode.  For the Yamato version, the arms were incorporated as the side of the fighter mode, with no cover on the forearms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

You're ranting on the wrong thread, sir. :rolleyes:  Better rant on the proper Hasegawa thread instead. ^_^

Or you will be put out the airlock:p

wow the difference is striking now that i see that cross comparison..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm still just baffled at how microscopic the arms look.  They have all that freaking room behind the hand in fighter, because they made the back end so long, and they couldn't use any of that to give it arms that look in-scale with the rest of the battroid?

 

That's a matter of perception. To me the Bandai looks better proportioned in the arms. And because I travel in the bodybuilding community where aesthetic and proportions are everything, I'm right, and you're wrong. So there!:D

Edited by sqidd
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...