Bandai 1/60 DX Chogokin Macross Plus YF-21

Berkut

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

The YF-21's purge mode doesn't do anything but get rid of the limbs, right? The limbs that aren't visible and don't play any functional role in fighter mode anyway? Unless you're adamant about displaying it in battroid mode with its arms and legs shot all to hell, I don't see any reason why they should engineer that into the toy.

And I mean, if push comes to shove you could just take the limbs apart and get the same result...

The belly plates go, too, since they mount to the legs.  So a YF-21 without limbs, in fighter mode, has the entire belly opened up, and empy---you can basically "see inside up into the inner structure of the upper fuselage/skin".   It's just wings, cockpit, and engines---and just enough upper fuselage+skin to hold them together. 

yf-21-limbless.gif

Bottom-center:  You can see the rows of shutters, that normally open up to act as cascades for GERWALK mode, revealed in fighter mode.  

Ever notice how that profile shot of the high performance mode above completely changes the position of the engine exhaust?  They are much smaller and higher shown above, then they are in the standard profile. Just draw an imaginary line for where the belly plates should be and you’ll see.

Chris

41 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

The belly plates go, too, since they mount to the legs.  So a YF-21 without limbs, in fighter mode, has the entire belly opened up, and empy---you can basically "see inside up into the inner structure of the upper fuselage/skin".   It's just wings, cockpit, and engines---and just enough upper fuselage+skin to hold them together. 

yf-21-limbless.gif

Bottom-center:  You can see the rows of shutters, that normally open up to act as cascades for GERWALK mode, revealed in fighter mode.  

And that two row of shutters is probably gonna be covered or nonexistent based on where the bottom/back third of the bellyplates go in battroid and possibly Gerwalk mode.

Edit:  I thought the mode where Guld goes all out is called Delimiter Mode.  While, the mode where the tailfins are canted inwards and the wings are tilted slightly downward is called high speed mode. :unsure:

Edited by Mog

28 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Holding up very well after 10 years.

Great custom!

Thanks!  But those pics were also taken years ago too. :pardon:

However, I did snap this pic a few days ago to demonstrate how skinny the Yammy’s is in fighter mode:

A0968CB5-66D4-4375-87B0-9B74BCC1C079.thumb.jpeg.df40fa94f7dca4918c90ebed1db5d932.jpeg

Haven’t transformed her much recently, but still holding up alright.

Yeah. . . I was never too good with decals.

Plus, this was around the time that the ALPS printers were being discontinued and getting custom stickers/decals was starting to become almost impossible.

I really had to scavenge through my collections for stickers, and do all sorts of ghetto techniques to make stickers for the pilot name and other stickers around the dark parts of the nosecone.

I gained a special appreciation for those guys that used to make custom stickers available to us.  Making white ink or white backed stickers ain’t easy without the right tools/equipment.

8 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i wonder if this will have missiles?

like Isamu got a circus of missiles and this has none. 

how in the world will he launch a final attack against the yf-19 for buying him lunch 13 times?   

Don't hit Isamu with 'numbers', David. Guld will surely attack him in Delimiter mode. ;)

6 hours ago, Mog said:

I gained a special appreciation for those guys that used to make custom stickers available to us.  Making white ink or white backed stickers ain’t easy without the right tools/equipment.

I had a lot of fun doing that back in the day. Then life interfered, so I "retired" from printing decals and stickers for about ten years, but I'm trying to help out MW members again on a limited basis. I still have two functional ALPS MD-5000 printers. Ink is harder to find and more expensive these days, but I'm building up a small stockpile.

Well, crap..... I just bought a yamato 1/60th to replace the badly damaged one I already own and then this happens. I swear, its like the gods are toying with me, I put of getting an older release of a character or mecha design I like, so certain a new one is around the corner. And finally I give up, certain a new one is not coming, so I buy the older release at a stupid inflated cost, and then bam! The new one I've been waiting for is released a week later.

That said, I am really happy to get a modern take on this mecha from Bandai, and will definitely get one when it comes out. (anyone want a 1/60th scale YF-21 Yamato BTW?) While they have had their stumble in the past on average I'd rather a mecha properties merchandise be in their hands than the hands of most other companies.

I love it when my toys become obsolete because that means I got some better toys available!  I'm also glad Bandai is still showing 1/60 love... I really don't want to have to deal with the newer gen bigger valks in 1/48.  As long as its big enough for perfect transformation, perfect landing gear I'd like my valks as small as possible, TBH.

On 10/26/2019 at 3:30 AM, Chronocidal said:

I'm under the impression that the plates will just be hanging for gerwalk anyway, maybe the full set.  Even if they don't keep the lower third of the belly plates connected to the legs, I think they will still have to open to store the legs.

Also, speaking of the Omega PantsTM, I did notice one thing this transformation does that Yamato's didn't.  Looking closely at the transformation sketches, Yamato turned the feet the wrong way when they folded them up between the engines.  The art shows the toes pointing upwards, with the heels down, leaving nothing poking out under the center panel.  I don't know if Bandai did this exactly, but the longer back end looks like it could leave room for that.  I'm not sure what benefit it would have either way though.

Far as the beefy engines go, I do think they should be wider spaced, but there are some sketches that make them look that big.  I think I'm mostly not a fan of the .. I don't really know what to call it... "greeblification" maybe, of the upper engine surface?  I liked it when they were smooth, but Bandai for some reason decided to invent a bunch of little raised details to cover that area with.  Would rather they made the rear vents bigger, since those absolutely look way too thin.

I think I can adjust to the thicker engines really.  Would still like the tails mounted further to the rear, but that's not likely.  I'm actually surprised they squared off the tail tips so flat though, all of the art shows them clipped at an angle, and since they're absolutely not involved in any part of the transformation, I don't see why they can't be perfectly shaped.

Just get the DX version and display them in fighter or gerwalk while arcadia/yammie ver stays in battroid mode

1 hour ago, GobotFool said:

Anyone have any suggestions for a good place to pre-order this thing from?

Half-joking, half-seriously:  wherever you can get a preorder in.  

The horror stories about preorder madness(TM) are not exaggerations, especially when it comes to any Bandai stuff.

You’re literally logged in to a number of Japanese websites, late at night, refreshing like crazy, waiting for that exact moment the preorder goes up.

And even when you do get in, you gotta pray that your preorder actually gets processed through and you don’t get “cart jacked” during the entire process.

If you miss out on that preorder night, you either gotta get super lucky and find another site that opens up orders on a later date.  Or pay some other site an overly inflated price (i.e., NY).

I literally had coffee and whiskey with me the night Bandai opened up the preorders for both the 1/48 Max and the SOC Vehicle Voltron.  

The coffee and whiskey were BOTH NEEDED for that night.

EDIT:  Just keep your eyes on this thread too;  we got some good folks here on this board who will help with linking you to preorder sites.

Edited by Mog

8 minutes ago, EastwindS2k said:

Good work!

What kind of display stand is that? 

That is the Flight Pose display stands (formerly named Flexi Display stands).

Just note that they made changes to the tips, changing them from black rubber to some other clear material.  

There have been numerous reports that these new clear tips peel off paint on our Valks.  So, you may want to proceed with caution if you order these.

3 hours ago, GobotFool said:

Anyone have any suggestions for a good place to pre-order this thing from?

I got back into the game post DX VF-1S PO so I haven't experienced the slaughter yet. I've already prepared myself mentally/emotionally for failure on the next PO so if I do it's not a shock. I'm not saying I'm not going to try. But I am expecting to fail.;)

1 hour ago, Mog said:

Half-joking, half-seriously:  wherever you can get a preorder in.  

The horror stories about preorder madness(TM) are not exaggerations, especially when it comes to any Bandai stuff.

You’re literally logged in to a number of Japanese websites, late at night, refreshing like crazy, waiting for that exact moment the preorder goes up.

And even when you do get in, you gotta pray that your preorder actually gets processed through and you don’t get “cart jacked” during the entire process.

If you miss out on that preorder night, you either gotta get super lucky and find another site that opens up orders on a later date.  Or pay some other site an overly inflated price (i.e., NY).

I literally had coffee and whiskey with me the night Bandai opened up the preorders for both the 1/48 Max and the SOC Vehicle Voltron.  

The coffee and whiskey were BOTH NEEDED for that night.

EDIT:  Just keep your eyes on this thread too;  we got some good folks here on this board who will help with linking you to preorder sites.

The YF-19 wasn't so bad, I managed to PO 4 of them. Hopefully the YF-21 won't be that much worse.

Sure, we haven't had a -21 since the Yamato (whereas Arcadia made a YF-19 and Bandai made the VF-19 Advance). However the 21 is less popular than the 19.

18 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

yf-21-limbless.gif

What do you mean by “cascades” in this sense?

18 hours ago, Mog said:

And that two row of shutters is probably gonna be covered or nonexistent based on where the bottom/back third of the bellyplates go in battroid and possibly Gerwalk mode.

Edit:  I thought the mode where Guld goes all out is called Delimiter Mode.  While, the mode where the tailfins are canted inwards and the wings are tilted slightly downward is called high speed mode. :unsure:

“Delimiter mode” isn’t connected to him ejecting the arms and legs of the thing. I had suspicions this was the case and asked for corroboration. He purged the limbs because they were busted to all hell, but delimiter mode is really just overriding the software controls that prevent the fighter from accelerating to human goo.

14 minutes ago, aurance said:

“Delimiter mode” isn’t connected to him ejecting the arms and legs of the thing. I had suspicions this was the case and asked for corroboration. He purged the limbs because they were busted to all hell, but delimiter mode is really just overriding the software controls that prevent the fighter from accelerating to human goo.

I'm not enough of a YF-21 (or Macross) buff to know the correct answer, but I can see the confusion if in fact delimiter mode != ejecting the arms and legs, since I believe it is mentioned only once (from what I recall), and it is around the same time he ejects the arms and legs.

Either way, I don't know of any other valk, at least that has been animated, that has the ability to jettison the arms and legs, for whatever reason.  You see lots of armor popping off, but I can't recall any other valk being able to deliberately remove parts from itself (voluntarily) in case they are damaged.

Regardless, I'm kind of hoping Bandai doesn't bother with the gimmick, as I think it will be detrimental to the structural integrity as a whole.

Oh, and then there is this from the Macross Mecha Manual:

While most VFs have traditionally situated the main engines within the legs of the Battroid, the YF-21 arranged the engine block in the main body with independent legs. By discarding the mostly dead weight of the arms and legs, the limiter-release mode can attain performance reaching the fuselage design limits and attain high manueverability combat performance exceeding other VFs. However, the pilot operating the limit-release mode bears the effect of dangerous G-forces which exceed the limits of the human body. 

Edited by HardlyNever

I always saw the "de-limiter" or "limiter-release" mode as something akin to the Star Destroyer Shield Emitter issue (they were scanner globes, that the destruction of which blew out the bridge shield emitters).  Guld ejects the dead weight of the limbs at the same time as he activated the de-limiter mode.  The time was purely coincidental, and I sometimes wonder if he intentionally allowed the X-9 to shoot of his limbs because the software wouldn't allow him to eject them otherwise.  De-limiter with limbs would still give a performance boost to the aerodynamic and structural limits, but de-limiter with limbs ejected would reduce the mass likely by half, or more, doubling the thrust to weight ratio and responsiveness of all other control systems.  While I hate to argue with the MMM, I do question the source as canon or fanon in regards to the de-limiter mode.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I got back into the game post DX VF-1S PO so I haven't experienced the slaughter yet. I've already prepared myself mentally/emotionally for failure on the next PO so if I do it's not a shock. I'm not saying I'm not going to try. But I am expecting to fail.;)

It is something to behold.  What makes it the most challenging is that it is sooo early in the morning starting at 12:00 AM PT / 3:00 AM ET and not ending for several hours based on different sites releasing POs at different times. 

Sites stall, crash, etc. and in seconds you can miss out.  It's probably more like 1 - 3 min on most sites but the problem is that everything stalls, so it is painstaking to get to each screen in the checkout process.... if you can even get to the checkout process.  Haha.

1 hour ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Found an old poor quality pic of my Kizaki's VF-22 in delimiter mode:

3749383247_29a1393d08.jpg

As much as I love the Yf-21/VF-22 this does illustrate a serious issue I have with it, the engine ducting.  It really implies that the 21/22 used a radically different engine tech then every other VF to that point, and beyond.  I know that the answer is liberal usage of anime magic in the design, but I just don't see room enough in there for traditional turbine styled engines.  It makes me think that the 21/22 uses something more akin to a Fusion rocket.  The bulged fronts of the engine nacelles would be the fusion bulbs, pumping plasma through ducts in the rear nacelle, "cooling" it along the way to pull out any radiation, before ducting them out the rear turbines.  Afterburning would basically involve retracting the internal baffles to allow the raw plasma out the rear exhaust.  The intake in the front would then serve to power the lifting ducts, as well as provide cooling air in atmosphere, which would be heated by the fusion bulb much like  ramjet to also add thrust.  So, I guess you might classify the 21/22's engines as Fusion Ramjets.

12 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

I always saw the "de-limiter" or "limiter-release" mode as something akin to the Star Destroyer Shield Emitter issue (they were scanner globes, that the destruction of which blew out the bridge shield emitters).  Guld ejects the dead weight of the limbs at the same time as he activated the de-limiter mode.  The time was purely coincidental, and I sometimes wonder if he intentionally allowed the X-9 to shoot of his limbs because the software wouldn't allow him to eject them otherwise.  De-limiter with limbs would still give a performance boost to the aerodynamic and structural limits, but de-limiter with limbs ejected would reduce the mass likely by half, or more, doubling the thrust to weight ratio and responsiveness of all other control systems.  While I hate to argue with the MMM, I do question the source as canon or fanon in regards to the de-limiter mode.

The quote I copied is in purple, which means it's from the Macross Chronicle (or at least is supposed to be).  Haven't read any of them myself, so I can't vouch for the authenticity personally.  It could be a loose translation; I guess you'd have to track down that particular issue and see for yourself.  I doubt they would put it in the MMM if they weren't too sure about it, though.

Like I said, I'm no expert, so you'd have to take it up with the MMM and/or the Macross Chronicle, I suppose.