Remove panel lining safely?

sjoebarry

Hi y'all.  I just purchased a Yamato VF-1A V2 and never realized (because of my horrible illiteracy) that it's panel lined.  Does anyone have any tips or tricks on hoy to safely remove the panel lining?  Like a particular solvent or other liquid and a soft cloth or something?  Please let me know if anyone has any info.  THANKS!

It all depends on what was used. Many of us around here use Flory's, which is clay based, so a little water on a soft toothbrush should reactivate the clay base and it should come right off. However, if a Gundam marker or something like that was used, I'm not sure how successful one would be removing it.   Does it look bad? Why not just leave it instead of possibly ruining the toy?   I love the look of panel lining on all my V2's. 

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

It all depends on what was used. Many of us around here use Flory's, which is clay based, so a little water on a soft toothbrush should reactivate the clay base and it should come right off. However, if a Gundam marker or something like that was used, I'm not sure how successful one would be removing it.   Does it look bad? Why not just leave it instead of possibly ruining the toy?   I love the look of panel lining on all my V2's. 

Well..... I only have one other panel lined and that’s a Renewal VF-25F. This new guy is a VF-1A cannon fodder. I think panel lining looks great on white valks, but I’m not loving it on this brownie. Maybe it’ll grow on me. I dunno. It’s also not done so well in a spot or three so maybe that’s another reason I want to remove it. How could I know other than asking the guy who sold it to me what he used?

Second all the above options. It all depends on what was used. Experiment on an area that you don't mind potentially ruining(!!!!) to find out what was used. Start with the water and/or alcohol as they're the least likely to damage anything else on your Valk (paint, tampo, plastic itself, etc.). And double second the Q-tip recommendation. Some of these solvents can make plastic brittle, so... yeah, you'll want to be as conservative with them as possible.

By the by, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume the panel lining was done with black ink. Black panel lining on the tan/orange of a CF tends to be off-putting to most people; if you decide to re-do the lining work, I'd recommend going with a brown or rust red, something along those lines.

Best of luck!

if nothing works (or something does but can also harm the toy), try to apply light gray wash/pane line.

If anything else, I will always start with Plastic, it is the safest on plastic but be careful on paint app, since alcohol can soften/reactivate it. Lighter fluid is the same but much more "hot"